PDA

View Full Version : Musician impression

carson_reb
02-24-2011, 11:29 AM
I'd like to do a musician impression, but I'm undecided which one to develop. I'm torn between bugler, fifer and drummer, since those are the instruments I have.

I am 37 years old, so I'm concerned that I may be too old to pass for a period fifer or drummer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

hconverse
02-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Hello,

I wouldn't be too worried about age in developing a musicians impression. Most of us are already too old to have been a soldier to begin with so eliminating the fife or drum because of age may not be all that important.

The more important concern is gaining the proficiency on the instrument of your choosing to do the proper impression. Many people can play the period tunes or keep a beat on the march with a drum but what really sets a good musician impression apart is the ability to play the instrument in the manner that field musicians of the period did using the correct calls at the correct times.

I can play all three instruments that you list to some degree but I only have the proficiency to play the bugle to the standards that are needed to be a field musician. Even then, I dont' remember enough of the calls to do real justice to the field musician impression.

Which ever you choose, do your reasearch(lots of good stuff on the forum), find the period manuals, and practice, practice, practice.

Good Luck!!!

Scott Sonntag
Regimental Volunteer Band of Wisconsin

RJSamp
02-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Hello,

I wouldn't be too worried about age in developing a musicians impression. Most of us are already too old to have been a soldier to begin with so eliminating the fife or drum because of age may not be all that important.

The more important concern is gaining the proficiency on the instrument of your choosing to do the proper impression. Many people can play the period tunes or keep a beat on the march with a drum but what really sets a good musician impression apart is the ability to play the instrument in the manner that field musicians of the period did using the correct calls at the correct times.

I can play all three instruments that you list to some degree but I only have the proficiency to play the bugle to the standards that are needed to be a field musician. Even then, I dont' remember enough of the calls to do real justice to the field musician impression.

Which ever you choose, do your reasearch(lots of good stuff on the forum), find the period manuals, and practice, practice, practice.

Good Luck!!!

Scott Sonntag
Regimental Volunteer Band of Wisconsin

Good Advice Scott! I have no doubt that you can play (and remember) more calls than the vast majority of ACW reenactors..... have been talking with Kevin McDonald about joining forces for the 150's....Benevolent Brotherhood in Blue Buglers Brass Band.....play on the field, play in camp.....even troop the colors for Parade (Enduring Young Charms going down.....Battle Hymn coming back and make up the harmonies on the fly).

We could always get together at one of the local events and work on battle calls, recognition, usage.....let me know. Am sure we could get a few of the older members of the 2nd to join in....John? Dudkewitz out of LaCrosse joined in with us at Perryville on Baritone for example.... how about the cornettist out of Fond du Lac.....

Jubilo
02-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Dear Sir,
In Gleeson's book on Company G of the 15th Tennesee, a 62 year old drummer was mentioned. Reckon you've got some time.
all for the old flag,
David Corbett

hconverse
03-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Good Advice Scott! I have no doubt that you can play (and remember) more calls than the vast majority of ACW reenactors..... have been talking with Kevin McDonald about joining forces for the 150's....Benevolent Brotherhood in Blue Buglers Brass Band.....play on the field, play in camp.....even troop the colors for Parade (Enduring Young Charms going down.....Battle Hymn coming back and make up the harmonies on the fly).

We could always get together at one of the local events and work on battle calls, recognition, usage.....let me know. Am sure we could get a few of the older members of the 2nd to join in....John? Dudkewitz out of LaCrosse joined in with us at Perryville on Baritone for example.... how about the cornettist out of Fond du Lac.....

Sorry it took so long to get back to you RJ.

Kevin and I and Rusty have been talking about this since last year. We are definitely looking at 62' and 63' events and have a decent size contingent from the band that is interested. I'm sure that John and a few other would be available to join in.

We'll have to see which events we cross paths at this season so we can come up with some type of plan.

joe_korber
03-08-2011, 10:04 AM
I'd like to do a musician impression, but I'm undecided which one to develop. I'm torn between bugler, fifer and drummer, since those are the instruments I have.

I am 37 years old, so I'm concerned that I may be too old to pass for a period fifer or drummer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Just look at images and you will note not all musicians were 10 years old.
119th NY's lead musician was just about your age in1862
as is pointed out in other posts, what is important is that you have some level of musical ability. Other than that all are welcome, the more the merrier

good luck with what ever you decide to do

Cheers
Joe Korber