PDA

View Full Version : Gettysburg

John Legg
10-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Has anyone herd of anything about the vandalism at gettysburg. i know its been a while, since i herd anything.

John

Spare_Man
10-30-2006, 12:49 PM
The 114th PA monument was repaired and placed back on the pedistal within a couple of months. The other two monuments are still awaiting much more extensive and expensive repairs.

Unfortunately, with the passage of time, the chance of catching the culprits diminishes. Maybe someday the 4th New York artilleryman's bronze head will be found in a bowling ball bag in an attic somewhere, but it may not happen in our lifetimes. :(

John Legg
11-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Yeah i just hope this all ends here, and Never happens to any of our sacred ground in the US of A!

NC5thcav
11-21-2006, 05:32 PM
Not to belittle the monuments, but which is more important, fixing a monument or stopping developers bulldozers from destroying our endangered battlefields? If you want to protect our "sacred ground" help save a battlefield. Sign petitions, give to the ACWPT or some other group, write your congressman, pray or whatever. Just do something.

John Legg
11-24-2006, 03:10 PM
yeah, im going to start saving money for CWPT. and send it in

Ken
11-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Not to belittle the monuments, but which is more important, fixing a monument or stopping developers bulldozers from destroying our endangered battlefields? If you want to protect our "sacred ground" help save a battlefield. Sign petitions, give to the ACWPT or some other group, write your congressman, pray or whatever. Just do something.
I think they hold equal importance.

Popeye
11-25-2006, 11:14 PM
also of equal importance is contact with your Senators, Congressperson...anyone in the orbs of D.C., that will listen, act and press, that the National Park Service funds have suffered significant financial cuts of late and this trend is costing ten fold, or better, in losses to the battlefields we hold so dear. Funding is needed to provide law enforcement patrols and protect what is there. There is also the opportunity for us all to offer of our time to watch, listen and report any acts observed that do damage to the parks or its contents.

Keith "Popeye" Rayeski

Wounded_Zouave
11-27-2006, 08:19 AM
If it were not for the inspiration provided by monument-studded battlefields like Gettysburg, Shiloh, Chickamauga, Vicksburg and Antietam I doubt if many people would be inspired to engage in battlefield perservation at all. The veterans gave us those monuments. They are of equal importance to battlefield perservation. We need to take care of them too.