PDA

View Full Version : Drumming! The more of the enclosed in the hobby, the BETTER!

RJSamp
02-15-2011, 11:56 AM
THE TRAIN
Using the old French drum technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlxxH8_UQEU&feature=related

Oui, avec une ensemble: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boEcvmOhCkQ&feature=related
Et aussi, Le Tattoo; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v84vMJ49Qu0&feature=related
Le Tattoo avec une ensemble: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba4j6e0w19s&feature=related

We need MORE of this in the hobby. Much more.

R Beasly
02-15-2011, 02:21 PM
More of what? Those links have about as much to do with the hobby as the bagpiper video in one of the sidebars.

Mr. Beasly

RJSamp
02-15-2011, 02:21 PM
More of what? What does this have to do with the hobby? About as much as that bagpipe link on the sidebar.

Mr. Beasly

You are correct, there were no military drummers during the American Civil War, and current reenacting field musics units couldn't learn a rudiment or two from the links provided. The idea of a drum line of 8+ drummers with the same stick work, emphasis, unity and precision in their beats has nothing to do with ACW reenacting. Something about playing in a line next to a brick wall that brings out the inexactness in playing on natural drum heads while performing 'in concert'.

I stand corrected.

33rdaladrummer
02-15-2011, 09:09 PM
We need MORE of this in the hobby. Much more.

No, we don't need any of that in the hobby. There are too many modern influences on reenactor drummers as it is.

By the way, they were typically called drum corps, not "field musics units". If you want to use the term "the field music," no s is required. It's already plural. Drummers and fifers weren't called "field musics."

-Will Chappell

R Beasly
02-16-2011, 03:43 AM
That's right RJ, we need more professional musicians playing a song about a train on plastic headed snare drums. I stand corrected.

You toot your horn so well, I thought this thread was going to be about field music and tunes out of Bruce and Emmet.

Mr. Beasly

33rdaladrummer
02-16-2011, 07:58 AM
That's right RJ, we need more professional musicians playing a song about a train on plastic headed snare drums. I stand corrected.

You toot your horn so well, I thought this thread was going to be about field music and tunes out of Bruce and Emmet.

Mr. Beasly

There's a common misconception that the tunes in Bruce and Emmett's Drummers' and Fifers' Guide are representative of the music played during the war. You won't find many of the tunes mentioned as being played by fifers in diaries and newspapers in B&E:

Auld Lang Syne (TRI-WEEKLY ALAMO EXPRESS [San Antonio, TX], March 29, 1861, p. 3, c. 1)
Beaux of Oak Hill (A History of the Eleventh New Hampshire Regiment)
Bold Soldier Boy (Cullings from the confederacy By Nora Fontaine M. Davidson)
Bold Soldier Boy (History of the Seventeenth regiment, New Hampshire volunteer infantry)
Bonaparte's March ( Glimpses of the nation's struggle: 1st -6th series. by Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States. Minnesota Commandery - Biography & Autobiography - 1893)
Bonnie Blue Flag (Co. Aytch)
Bonnie Blue Flag (Valley Spirit: July 8, 1863)
Campbells are Coming (Pfanz, Harry W. Gettysburg: The First Day)
Campbells are Coming (Drum Taps in Dixie)
Carry Me Back (All for the Union: a history of the 2nd Rhode Island Volunteer Inf by Rhodes)
Devil's Dream (Hubbs, G. Ward. Voices from Company D: Diaries by the Greensboro Guards, Fifth Alabama Infantry Regiment)
Dixie (The Illustrated London News, vol.39, no.1111, p.338.)
Dixie (Co. Aytch)
Dixie (Valley Spirit: July 8, 1863)
Flowers of Edinburgh(Christian memorials of the War by Horatio Balch Hackett)
Faded Flowers (148th Pa)
Gentle Annie (148th PA)
Garryowen (Drums of the 47th)
Garryowen (History of the Seventeenth regiment)
Girl I Left Behind Me (History of the Eleventh New Hampshire Regiment)
Girl (Philadelphia Press, Aug. 19, 1863)
Girl (Report of the Proceedings of the Society of the Army of the Tennessee at the ...‎ - Page 262 by Society of the Army of the Tennessee - History - 1885)
The Girl I Left Behind Me (148th PA)
Girl (Historic days in Cumberland County, New Jersey, 1855-1865: political and war page 42 by Isaac T. Nichols - History - 1907 - 257 pages )
Girl I Left (Cullings from the confederacy By Nora Fontaine M. Davidson)
Girl I Left Behind Me (Drum Taps in Dixie)
Girl (Southern Historical Society Papers Vol. XXXII. Richmond, Va., January-December. 1904, pp. 174-178)
Girl (A History of the Forty-fourth Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry, in the ... - Page 182
by Eugene Arus Nash - United States - 1910 - 484 pag)
Girl (4th Virginia)
Go to the Devil and Shake Yourself PREWAR ( Canterbury in the olden time - Page 34
by John Brent - Canterbury (England) - 1860 - 117 pages )
Granny Will Your Dog (undated article from Lenoir News-Topic, reprinted in Company Front [26th N.C. periodical], Sept. 1994, p. 14)
Haste to the Wedding 1850s (Child's history of Waseca County, Minnesota By James Erwin Child)
**** on Oil Creek (148th PA)
Highland Mary (4th Virginia)
Home Sweet Home ( New Jerusalem Magazine - Page 400 by New Jerusalem Church - 1872)
Home Sweet Home (The United service‎ - Page 428 As fife and drum our "Sweet Home" played.)
Irish Jigs played by Confederate fifers (The Illustrated London News, vol.39, no.1111,p.338.)
an Irish jig or two. (Historic days in Cumberland County, New Jersey, 1855-1865: political and war page 42 by Isaac T. Nichols - History - 1907 - 257 pages )
Irish Volunteer (Philadelphia Press, Aug. 19, 1863)
Jaybird (Drums of the 47th)
Jaybird PREWAR ( General Lane's Brigade in Central Mexico‎ - Page 132
by Albert Gallatin Brackett - Mexican War, 1846-1848 - 1854 - 336 pages)
Jefferson and Liberty (History of the Seventeenth regiment)
Jefferson and Liberty ( History of the 71st Regiment, N. G., N. Y., American Guard)
Jefferson and Liberty ( History of the Nineteenth Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, 1861 ...‎ - Page 90 by Ernest Linden Waitt, Massachusetts infantry 19th regt., 1861-1865, Massachusetts infantry - History - 1906 - 456 pages)
Jon Anderson My Joe (A Drum's Story)
Johnny Comes Marching Home (D. Miller)
Lannigan's Ball (Walt Whitman)
Larry O'Gaff (148th PA)
Larry O'Gaff (History of the Seventeenth regiment,)
Larry O'Gaff brass band (Delevan Miller)
Man in the Moon (Philadelphia Press, Aug. 19, 1863)
Marseillaise (The Illustrated London News, vol.39, no.1111, p.338.)
Marseillaise (Valley Spirit: July 8, 1863)
Negro Melodies (The Press. Vol. 8--No. 29. Philadelphia, Friday, September 2, 1864)
Oh Susanna (A Drum's Story)
Old Dan Tucker PREWAR (Historical Sketches of Hudson: Embracing the Settlement of the City, City ... - Page 55
by Stephen B. Miller - Hudson (N.Y.) - 1862 - 120 pages)
Old Dan Tucker (A Drum's Story)
Old Dan Tucker (148th PA)
Picayune Butler's come to Town (In It by H.C. Whitley)
Pop Goes the Weasel (Philadelphia Press. April 11, 1861.)
Pop Goes the Weasel ( Gleanings from 'The Blue', a selection of poetry and prose‎ - Page 116
by Christ's hospital, Blue - 1881)
Rally Round the Flag (148th PA)
Red White and Blue (Historic days in Cumberland County, New Jersey, 1855-1865: political and war page 42 by Isaac T. Nichols - History - 1907 - 257 pages )
Rocky Road to Dublin (Drums of the 47th)
Rory O'Moore (Drum Taps in Dixie)
Rory O'More (Our Country, in Its Relations to the Past, Present and Future: A National ...
by Mrs Lincoln Phelps - 1864 )
Sprig of Shillelah (History of the Seventeenth regiment)
St. Patrick's Day in the Morning (A History of Wilkes-Barré By Oscar Jewell Harvey)
St. Patrick's Day (History of the Seventeenth regiment)
Village Quickstep (148th PA)
Villikins and his Dinah (Our Country, in Its Relations to the Past by Mrs Lincoln Phelps)
Walk in the Light (Emanuel, An Historical Sketch of the Georgetown Rifle Guards, and as Co. A of the Tenth Regiment So. Ca. Volunteers, in the Army of the Confederate States, n.p., n.d. [1909], page [6] (not paginated).
Walk in the Light (Walker, Rolls and Historical Sketch of the Tenth Regiment, So. Ca. Volunteers, in the Army of the Confederate States (Charleston: Walker, Evans & Cogswell, 1881), p. 75.
Wandering Willie PREWAR (http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/t...index.htm?id=1)
When the Springtime Comes, Gentle Annie (Drum Taps in Dixie)
White Cockade (History of the Seventeenth regiment)
White Cockade (History of the Fiftieth Regiment of Infantry, Massachusetts Volunteer ...
By William Burnham Stevens, William C. Eustis, Solomon Nelson)
Who'll Be King but Charlie (The Civil War on the Outer Banks By Fred M. Mallison)
Who'll Be King but Charlie (NY Times 19 Nov 1861)
Wrecker's Daughter (148th PA)
Yankee Doodle (History of the Eleventh New Hampshire Regiment)
Yankee Doodle (TRI-WEEKLY ALAMO EXPRESS [San Antonio, TX], March 29, 1861, p. 3, c. 1)
Yankee Doodle (History of the Seventeenth regiment)
Yankee Doodle ( History of the 71st Regiment, N. G., N. Y., American Guard)
Yankee Doodle (Historic days in Cumberland County, New Jersey, 1855-1865: political and war page 42 by Isaac T. Nichols - History - 1907 - 257 pages )
Yankee Doodle ( History of the Nineteenth Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, 1861 ...‎ - Page 90 by Ernest Linden Waitt, Massachusetts infantry 19th regt., 1861-1865, Massachusetts infantry - History - 1906 - 456 pages)

33rdaladrummer
02-16-2011, 08:01 AM

Mr. Beasly

There's a common misconception that the tunes in Bruce and Emmett's Drummers' and Fifers' Guide are representative of the music played during the war. You won't find many of the tunes mentioned as being played by fifers in diaries, regimental histories, and newspapers in B&E:

Auld Lang Syne (TRI-WEEKLY ALAMO EXPRESS [San Antonio, TX], March 29, 1861, p. 3, c. 1)
Beaux of Oak Hill (A History of the Eleventh New Hampshire Regiment)
Bold Dragoon PREWAR (Recollections of the public career and private life of the late John ... By Emily Henderson)
Bold Soldier Boy (Cullings from the confederacy By Nora Fontaine M. Davidson)
Bold Soldier Boy (History of the Seventeenth regiment, New Hampshire volunteer infantry)
Bonaparte's March ( Glimpses of the nation's struggle: 1st -6th series. by Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States. Minnesota Commandery - Biography & Autobiography - 1893)
Bonnie Blue Flag (Co. Aytch)
Bonnie Blue Flag (Valley Spirit: July 8, 1863)
Campbells are Coming (Pfanz, Harry W. Gettysburg: The First Day)
Campbells are Coming (Drum Taps in Dixie)
Carry Me Back (All for the Union: a history of the 2nd Rhode Island Volunteer Inf by Rhodes)
Devil's Dream (Hubbs, G. Ward. Voices from Company D: Diaries by the Greensboro Guards, Fifth Alabama Infantry Regiment)
Dixie (The Illustrated London News, vol.39, no.1111, p.338.)
Dixie (Co. Aytch)
Dixie (Valley Spirit: July 8, 1863)
Drops of Brandy PREWAR (Greenwich hospital: a series of naval sketches, By Old Sailor)
Flowers of Edinburgh(Christian memorials of the War by Horatio Balch Hackett)
Faded Flowers (148th Pa)
Gentle Annie (148th PA)
Garryowen (Drums of the 47th)
Garryowen (History of the Seventeenth regiment)
Girl I Left Behind Me (History of the Eleventh New Hampshire Regiment)
Girl (Philadelphia Press, Aug. 19, 1863)
Girl (Report of the Proceedings of the Society of the Army of the Tennessee at the ...‎ - Page 262 by Society of the Army of the Tennessee - History - 1885)
The Girl I Left Behind Me (148th PA)
Girl (Historic days in Cumberland County, New Jersey, 1855-1865: political and war page 42 by Isaac T. Nichols - History - 1907 - 257 pages )
Girl I Left (Cullings from the confederacy By Nora Fontaine M. Davidson)
Girl I Left Behind Me (Drum Taps in Dixie)
Girl (Southern Historical Society Papers Vol. XXXII. Richmond, Va., January-December. 1904, pp. 174-178)
Girl (A History of the Forty-fourth Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry, in the ... - Page 182
by Eugene Arus Nash - United States - 1910 - 484 pag)
Girl (4th Virginia)
Go to the Devil and Shake Yourself PREWAR ( Canterbury in the olden time - Page 34
by John Brent - Canterbury (England) - 1860 - 117 pages )
Granny Will Your Dog (undated article from Lenoir News-Topic, reprinted in Company Front [26th N.C. periodical], Sept. 1994, p. 14)
Haste to the Wedding 1850s (Child's history of Waseca County, Minnesota By James Erwin Child)
**** on Oil Creek (148th PA)
Highland Mary (4th Virginia)
Home Sweet Home ( New Jerusalem Magazine - Page 400 by New Jerusalem Church - 1872)
Home Sweet Home (The United service‎ - Page 428 As fife and drum our "Sweet Home" played.)
Irish Jigs played by Confederate fifers (The Illustrated London News, vol.39, no.1111,p.338.)
an Irish jig or two. (Historic days in Cumberland County, New Jersey, 1855-1865: political and war page 42 by Isaac T. Nichols - History - 1907 - 257 pages )
Irish Volunteer (Philadelphia Press, Aug. 19, 1863)
Jaybird (Drums of the 47th)
Jaybird PREWAR ( General Lane's Brigade in Central Mexico‎ - Page 132
by Albert Gallatin Brackett - Mexican War, 1846-1848 - 1854 - 336 pages)
Jefferson and Liberty (History of the Seventeenth regiment)
Jefferson and Liberty ( History of the 71st Regiment, N. G., N. Y., American Guard)
Jefferson and Liberty ( History of the Nineteenth Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, 1861 ...‎ - Page 90 by Ernest Linden Waitt, Massachusetts infantry 19th regt., 1861-1865, Massachusetts infantry - History - 1906 - 456 pages)
Jon Anderson My Joe (A Drum's Story)
Johnny Comes Marching Home (D. Miller)
Lannigan's Ball (Walt Whitman)
Larry O'Gaff (148th PA)
Larry O'Gaff (History of the Seventeenth regiment,)
Larry O'Gaff brass band (Delevan Miller)
Man in the Moon (Philadelphia Press, Aug. 19, 1863)
Marseillaise (The Illustrated London News, vol.39, no.1111, p.338.)
Marseillaise (Valley Spirit: July 8, 1863)
Negro Melodies (The Press. Vol. 8--No. 29. Philadelphia, Friday, September 2, 1864)
Oh Susanna (A Drum's Story)
Old Dan Tucker PREWAR (Historical Sketches of Hudson: Embracing the Settlement of the City, City ... - Page 55
by Stephen B. Miller - Hudson (N.Y.) - 1862 - 120 pages)
Old Dan Tucker (A Drum's Story)
Old Dan Tucker (148th PA)
Picayune Butler's come to Town (In It by H.C. Whitley)
Pop Goes the Weasel (Philadelphia Press. April 11, 1861.)
Pop Goes the Weasel ( Gleanings from 'The Blue', a selection of poetry and prose‎ - Page 116
by Christ's hospital, Blue - 1881)
Rally Round the Flag (148th PA)
Red White and Blue (Historic days in Cumberland County, New Jersey, 1855-1865: political and war page 42 by Isaac T. Nichols - History - 1907 - 257 pages )
Rocky Road to Dublin (Drums of the 47th)
Rory O'Moore (Drum Taps in Dixie)
Rory O'More (Our Country, in Its Relations to the Past, Present and Future: A National ...
by Mrs Lincoln Phelps - 1864 )
Sprig of Shillelah (History of the Seventeenth regiment)
St. Patrick's Day in the Morning (A History of Wilkes-Barré By Oscar Jewell Harvey)
St. Patrick's Day (History of the Seventeenth regiment)
Village Quickstep (148th PA)
Villikins and his Dinah (Our Country, in Its Relations to the Past by Mrs Lincoln Phelps)
Walk in the Light (Emanuel, An Historical Sketch of the Georgetown Rifle Guards, and as Co. A of the Tenth Regiment So. Ca. Volunteers, in the Army of the Confederate States, n.p., n.d. [1909], page [6] (not paginated).
Walk in the Light (Walker, Rolls and Historical Sketch of the Tenth Regiment, So. Ca. Volunteers, in the Army of the Confederate States (Charleston: Walker, Evans & Cogswell, 1881), p. 75.
Wandering Willie PREWAR (http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/t...index.htm?id=1)
When the Springtime Comes, Gentle Annie (Drum Taps in Dixie)
White Cockade (History of the Seventeenth regiment)
White Cockade (History of the Fiftieth Regiment of Infantry, Massachusetts Volunteer ...
By William Burnham Stevens, William C. Eustis, Solomon Nelson)
White Cockade (Early days in Arkansas: being for the most part the personal recollections ...
By William F. Pope, Dunbar H. Pope)
White Cockade (Godey's magazine, Volume 28 edited by Louis Antoine Godey, Sarah Josepha Buell Hale January to June 1844)
Who'll Be King but Charlie (The Civil War on the Outer Banks By Fred M. Mallison)
Who'll Be King but Charlie (NY Times 19 Nov 1861)
Wrecker's Daughter (148th PA)
Yankee Doodle (Early days in Arkansas: being for the most part the personal recollections ...
By William F. Pope, Dunbar H. Pope)
Yankee Doodle (History of the Eleventh New Hampshire Regiment)
Yankee Doodle (TRI-WEEKLY ALAMO EXPRESS [San Antonio, TX], March 29, 1861, p. 3, c. 1)
Yankee Doodle (History of the Seventeenth regiment)
Yankee Doodle ( History of the 71st Regiment, N. G., N. Y., American Guard)
Yankee Doodle (Historic days in Cumberland County, New Jersey, 1855-1865: political and war page 42 by Isaac T. Nichols - History - 1907 - 257 pages )
Yankee Doodle ( History of the Nineteenth Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, 1861 ...‎ - Page 90 by Ernest Linden Waitt, Massachusetts infantry 19th regt., 1861-1865, Massachusetts infantry - History - 1906 - 456 pages)

eric marten
02-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Will:

Thanks for your very thorough (as usual) list. But just to be sure, are the tunes you listed the ones you feel ARE, or ARE NOT, the best documented tunes for CW impressions? Its not too clear (to me).

Eric Marten

RJSamp
02-16-2011, 05:49 PM

Mr. Beasly

No it was about top notch drummers playing decently.....and yes, we need more of this in the hobby.

hear's another one for you. Song has been around for Centuries......

and this time with Reenactors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcUR6y6Kmkk&feature=related

Robert A Mosher
02-16-2011, 06:01 PM
I am a bit surprised not to see "Downfall of Paris" aka "Ca Ira" in that list - I would have that that it would have been noted by someone if it was played as often then as it appears to be now (it's a personal favorite so I don't mind hearing it).

Robert A. Mosher

33rdaladrummer
02-16-2011, 09:20 PM
I am a bit surprised not to see "Downfall of Paris" aka "Ca Ira" in that list - I would have that that it would have been noted by someone if it was played as often then as it appears to be now (it's a personal favorite so I don't mind hearing it).

Robert A. Mosher

It goes to show that Downfall may not have been as popular 150 years ago as it is today. But we'll never know for sure. H.C. Hart's New and Improved Instructor for the Drum has a nice version that's not as difficult as B&E.

33rdaladrummer
02-16-2011, 09:43 PM
No it was about top notch drummers playing decently.....and yes, we need more of this in the hobby.

hear's another one for you. Song has been around for Centuries......

and this time with Reenactors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcUR6y6Kmkk&feature=related

I checked out your latest youtube link...Hohenfriedberger's March...now commonly played at CW reenactments thanks to Colonial Williamsburg adapting it to fifes and drums 20 years ago. Something makes me think this tune wasn't all that well known in the 1860s, especially among fifers. It's yet another example of modern groups influencing reenactor musicians. Just because a tune's old doesn't mean it's appropriate for CW reenactors. I believe John Moon, former drum major at Colonial Williamsburg, composed the drumbeat. Why in the world are people playing this tune at CW events and not Larry O'Gaff and Who'll Be King But Charley?

What we really need in the music side of the hobby is people actually thinking about what they're playing and where it came from. If your source is youtube or some other group's CD you really need to question what you're doing.

Most of the fife and drum music played at CW reenactments today comes from 3 sources: Bruce and Emmett, Colonial Williamsburg, and modern New England Fife and Drum Corps.

With a few exceptions, the music in Howe, Hart, Nevins, Keach, Klinehanse, and most importantly Scott's tactics is completely ignored.

We need more research like this, courtesy of Bill Bynum:

"The marching music came from their fifer whose favorite tune was 'St. Patrick's Day in the morning.'"
(Description of Hillsborough Border Guards, Loudoun County, Va., leaving home for camp of instruction in early May 1861, quoted in John E. Devine, 8th Virginia Infantry, 2nd edition, Lynchburg, 1983, unpaginated "Prologue")

How ridiculous it would be to think one would ever find a quote like "the drum corps played Hohenfriedberger's March and Old Dan Tucker (the bass drummers's favorite because he gets to play all those fancy solos)...then they went into Some Distance from Prussia, which the lead fifer learned from the Connecticut fifer who visited us from 100 years in the future with his time machine."

Now here's a decent youtube link. CW veteran drummers and fifers playing Girl I Left Behind Me. Of course it's a common version, not the fancy one from B&E played almost exclusively by reenactors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqcN3YZs8rw

33rdaladrummer
02-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Will:

Thanks for your very thorough (as usual) list. But just to be sure, are the tunes you listed the ones you feel ARE, or ARE NOT, the best documented tunes for CW impressions? Its not too clear (to me).

Eric Marten

Maybe they're not the best documented tunes for CW impressions, but they are documented as being actually played. Much of Bruce and Emmett isn't documented as being widely played because much of it is unique to that one book and doesn't show up in other drum manuals or anywhere else. Not to say there's not any good material in B&E...but you have to dig into other sources to have a well-rounded selection of tunes.

RJSamp
02-17-2011, 11:33 AM
My post wasn't tune specific (it's about performance and a wall of drums), and undoubtedly the numerous ex-Prussian Army soldiers in Federal service during the Amercian Civil War would have been very familiar with many tunes that you have NOT read about in any Fife and Drum manual (possibly ever).

Maybe I'm just tired of hearing one or two drummer's masquerading as a 'field musics'...when we need 12, 24, 50 drummers and 4, 8 , 12 fifers on the infield of a Brigade Review.....those walls of drummers in the Grand Review are quite a sight...and the beats + foot falls must have been thunderous.

One reason I like the bigger events....we get to hear real fife and drum 'corps' playing.....if we limit the musicians to those that can actually play....

33rdaladrummer
02-17-2011, 07:01 PM
undoubtedly the numerous ex-Prussian Army soldiers in Federal service during the Amercian Civil War would have been very familiar with many tunes that you have NOT read about in any Fife and Drum manual (possibly ever).

Here's a tune NOT found in ANY fife and drum manual, but unlike your Prussian tunes, there is documentation of it actually being played:

"After which headed by the old colored Fifer Dennis to the air or tune of "Who'll Be King but Charlie," we moved off."

-The Civil War on the Outer Banks By Fred M. Mallison

'It was a solitary soldier, leisurely strolling towards Fort Corcoran in the rain, playing gaily on his fife, "Who'll be King but Charlie?" '

- New York Times, Nov. 19, 1861

You see, it's not all about what's in the manuals. The manuals are just one appropriate resource for researching tunes to play. Thinking that obscure (to Americans) Prussian tunes are fair game for fifers at CW events is simply conjecture. Where's your evidence that a single fifer played Hohenfriedberger's or any other Prussian March during the war? Why did you start this thread and post videos of modern French drummers and Prussian tunes? What place does that have on the Civil War Reenactors Discussion Forums?

So often people pick tunes they happen to like and THEN try to justify their use at reenactments when they should really be going directly to the primary sources (manuals, newspapers, regimental histories) to find out what may have been actually played 150 years ago.

If you're not being tune-specific then what specifically can a 13 year old kid learning to play the drum, fife, or bugle learn from these youtubes you're linking to?

eric marten
02-17-2011, 10:49 PM
I'm baffled by these videos of modern musicians. I don't get the point. BTW, Who'll Be King But Charlie is one of the best (fiddle) tunes ever.

Eric Marten