PDA

View Full Version : 26th NC - 2010 and 2011 Preservation Projects

Skip Smith
01-17-2011, 01:12 PM
We completed the fundraising this past Sat (Jan. 15th) on our 2010 Preservation Project - the "Gettysburg" battle flag of the 16th NC...this flag, in the possession of the NC Mus. of History, will be taken to the conservator soon...

Also, on Sat. we kicked off our 2011 Preservation Project - the "Spotsylvania Court House" battle flag of the 1st NCST...for more information on this flag and our project please visit our website...

http://www.26nc.org/Supplemental/for-the-good-of-the-old-north-state.html

Thanks for any help you are able to provide...

Skip Smith
26th NC

Gregg Hensley
01-21-2011, 08:53 AM
On January 15, I, along with my son and other members of the 22nd NC were honored to be a part of the unveiling cermony for the 22nd NC and 58th NC flags. These flags are now preserved due to the efforts of the 26th. The 26th is to be highly commended for their work preserving NC flags. The Museum of History has a large number of flags in need of conservation, and because of the lead that has been taken by the 26th, other units are "jumping on the wagon". The 22nd, Co. K has tentatively selected a flag that we wish to raise funds to preserve. My thanks to Colonel Smith and the boys of the 26th for showing the way forward and leading the charge! Click the link provided above if you wish to donate to their next project!

As a sidebar, the flags of the 22nd NC and 58th NC represent 15 of my 13-year old sons ancestors. Being invited to stand with those flags for the unveiling will stick with him for a long time. I can never repay the 26th for what they have done to save part of his familys history. Yes I can...by working hard to raise funds to continue the work they have started! Thanks again!

Gregg Hensley
1st. Sgt.
22 NC, Co.K
The McDowell Boys