PDA

View Full Version : other time periods?

signalcs
03-03-2006, 05:15 PM
what other time periods do you guys do? I do:

Roman and Byzantine

U.S. Army hospital corps 1895-1906 (span-am, PI, China.....)

WWII soviet

WWII RSI Italian Folgore Paratroops

Chuck A Luck
03-03-2006, 05:45 PM
My god! :shock: I can't even afford to do one period as "right" as I'd like to -- much less five!
To answer your question: none.

signalcs
03-03-2006, 05:56 PM
I know, it is tough, luckily for soviet and italian you can just get originals cheap.

for byzantine and roman you have to get good at sewing, weaving, woodworking, and ironworking in a hurry to pull it off the right way.

span-am and philppine insurrection is a really tough time period to do right, i.e. you must use expensive original weapons and some field gear. on the upside, machine stitching all around is correct, as are other clothing shortcuts that are not correct for civil war, so the full blue uniform is only around $300, its just you have to drop much more for decent field gear :roll:

MStuart
03-03-2006, 06:14 PM
John:

How many events per year do you get to with these other time periods?

Mark

signalcs
03-03-2006, 07:59 PM
ancient: about 4, 3 local, and one out east.

philippine insurrection/span-am- lots of living histories at Ft. Wayne detroit, I am so close it is easy. not any real battle reenactments going on lately

WWII- about 5 or 6, both sides.

MStuart
03-03-2006, 08:20 PM
That just goes to show how one dimensional I am. I figured there would be quite a few WW2 events, but the others surprised me. How do they measure up vs. large CW events in numbers?

Mark

signalcs
03-03-2006, 09:30 PM
for roman you can turn out quite a few, usually about 18, but up to 50 at lafe, for a small time period that is alot. not including barbarians.

For span-am, PI, and boxer rebellion- since the span-am centennial things are very dead, often my medical detachment (3 men including me) outnumbers the infantry at the LH events, on the upside, the centennial brought alot of the FARBS caught up with the 'Rough Riders' thing, and now that they re gone we are all real hardcores, and we have a real fort too.
now people can forget about TR and his rough riders and realize there were units in the philippines between 1898 and 1905 that ceased to exist due to battle casualties. San Juan hill was practically a skirmish compared to the stuff on Luzon.

BTW, we really would like more people, if you are interested in span-am let me know at: starbulldog@aol.com plenty of armed or unarmed positions.

MDRebCAv
03-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Are you the soldier who was in my Start Right briefing at Fort Meade a few years back...related through marriage to Raphael Semmes?

signalcs
03-10-2006, 09:34 PM
me?, no, I was never at Ft. meade, musta been somebody else.

rollydoger
03-13-2006, 01:14 AM
Hmm where to begin:
GA milita for Rev War (LH only)...working on 60th Regt. of Foot

1812 USM (LH only)

2nd Seminole War (1835-42) 4th US Infy

1859 USM (LH only)

CW with the AoP

IWP with the GMMCS

WW2 USMC (LH only)
WW2 US Army
WW2 197th Guards RKKA

Yup quite a few periods, but most are for living histories at local sites. The wife rolls her eyes when I get a wild hair to do a different impression....but when you make your own stuff....no complaints. I have found that even though I could do an event every weekend of the year...it really makes you want to pick and choose those that are going to be of some quality and not just to burn powder.

2 pennies
Joe Blunt

Pete K
03-20-2006, 10:56 AM
I used to do medival in the SCA, don't laugh, I had fun in my 20's doing it. I did 12th Century German Crusader and 9th Cetnury Norwegian Viking. The problem was a the hobby changed and I wanted to do more authentic clothing, armor and persona work. Not that I joined the stich nazis or the hardcore first person crowd, just wanted more from the hobby as it should have been. I must add I met the woman I would eventually marry at a SCA event. this is my greatest joy of my 15 years in the SCA. I have great friends from that organization and even convinced one of my old sword brothers to join up as a Civil War re-enactor with my unit.

Pete K
Freedom, PA
63rd PVI

Lee Ragan
05-02-2006, 11:20 AM
In the past, I've done 1870's Army Engineers, and a couple of Mexican War era living history events. Even done the western gunfighter impression a couple of time too. Now all I can do, is both side of the War Between the States, and not too often on those any more.