PDA

View Full Version : Cresent City Sutler

masonicpaintballer
10-23-2006, 08:34 PM
http://www.crescentcitysutler.com/

I have not seen these guys posted here, so ill add this link. First off let me say they are good people to deal with. prices decent as well. i had a problem with one of the items i purchased from them and they sent me replacements free of charge and in less then a week. to me this is great business since

Footslogger
10-24-2006, 11:12 AM
All I can say is you are very very very easily pleased, did they see you coming or send you an invitation.

SteveB

masonicpaintballer
10-24-2006, 11:23 AM
why is that?

masonicpaintballer
10-24-2006, 11:26 AM
the other place i use: i suppose they saw me coming too

http://fcsutler.com/

Footslogger
10-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Certainly a step up from the other one, but these are better,

http://www.njsekela.com/

http://missouribootandshoe.tripod.com/index.htm

http://www.jarnaginco.com/

http://duvallleatherwork.com/_wsn/page9.html

http://www.ejtsutler.com/

To name but a few.

SteveB

masonicpaintballer
10-24-2006, 11:48 AM
yeah i have checked out a couple of those and ordered some stuff...thanks for sharing

tenfed1861
10-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Personally,I dislike them.A few of my buddies and I were yelled at on Friday night for simply moving his gloves around.He sells the cheap .50 cent Wally World gloves for $3.00.A couple of his period books are ok,byt most of his stuff is junk.As Steve said,go with one of the other places his listed.Or if you're straped for cash,like most of us,go with the campaigner line from Regimental Quartermaster.Good stuff at ok prices. You can also try Orchard Hill.They have good stuff at fairly decent prices,as well as SS-Sutler.Also check out Don Smith and the Trans-Mississippi Depot.
Here are the links:
http://www.regtqm.com/campaigner.htm
www.orchardhillsutlery.com
www.ss-sutler.com
www.trans-mississippi.com
Hope this helps
Cullen Smith

John Legg
10-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Here's one that i Suggest the most, i know dan personally! hes a great guy
same with brian!

www.wwandcompany.com - Wambaugh White and Company

and id rather send more money to look better
ive made the mistake of buying from fall creek!

John

toptimlrd
10-24-2006, 02:21 PM
I hope it is not presumptious of me to ask if you are new to the hobby, many of your posts have led me to that conclusion. What Steve is referring to has nothing to do with the character of the owner of Cresent City, but rather the authenticity of their wares. I am not offering any opinion on that other than to say do some research. Steve's list contains many merchants (I prefer to not call them sutlers as that is a different thing) that are generally considered to have a more authentic line of products (there are one or two that I would question though). Many main line merchants are selling wares that resemble the originals in that they are either blue or grey but that is about as far as it goes. Often the material, construction, color, cut, etc are wrong. Often these items come from overseas (Pakistan, India, Mexico, etc) and are made on the cheap with the least expensive materials possible. many of the clothing items feature a synthetic blend fabric, machine stiching everywhere, wrong sillhouetts, etc. The leather often is of poorer quality (too thin, too thick, wrong stitching, wrong finish, etc). I could go on. To be honest there is a reason some sutlers can sell a slouch hat for $25 while others are selling them for $100, you usually get what you pay for. I have a poncho for example that I bought out of desperation at an event when I was unprpared, when you fold it it sticks together and is difficult to unfold and the finish is absolutely incorrect (it did keep me dry) which I paid about $35 for. COmpare that to my $80 gum blanket and it looks identical to ones in museums and unfolds easily. I have a slouch hat that I purchased once again in desparation and it is so poorly made that I wore it for that one event and never again, it will probably be good for some kids to play cowboys and indians in however. Look at a Hardee hat made by Tim Bender and then one offered at some of the less expensive merchants, you will find that Tim's is made from fur felt instead of wool which makes it easier to reshape and lasts longer, the material is thicker, the lining is correct, the stamps are correct, and it holds its shape much better. Many of the ones you see in the Mercant row tents is of a thin wool felt with no lining and a modern tag and marking inside, get it wet once and it looses all shape never to return. If you look at this link, you will find a list of vendors that have met some very high criteria, this list is not all inclusive, but the vendors listed are some of the best out there http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/local_links.php?action=links&catid=1. Keep in mind if you are not familiar with the AC, please read the rules before posting over there.

Let me also add that I have dealt with many of the vendors we have discussed here and can say that many are run by decent people. The thing is know before you buy, I've bought some stuff from Fall Creek and been very happy with it (yep even used it at campaign events and it passed muster) but not everything Fall Creek sells meets such criteria (uniforms for example are more of a mainstream to upper mainstream quality and would not be useful at an authentic event). I also buy a lot of stuff from the good folks (Jim and Linda) at Cedar Creek, but once again not all of their wares meet the upper end of the authenticity spectrum (but are very good for the mainstream in my opinion). The thing is you will spend more money by buying on the cheap now then upgrading than to do it right the first time, lesson learned the hard way here. When in doubt do some research and ask those who know. What I buy from whom often depends on the item, I may buy one item from a vendor but not the bulk of their wares dependent upon what it is. There are some vendors I simply do not buy from period. There are some that I would buy any of their wares from.

John Legg
10-24-2006, 02:27 PM
I agree with you Robert!

also i suggest, like i did

Learn how to sew also!
i made a JT martin Fatigue Blouse
it saved me about 100.00 or more, because i made it. I did use the correct patterns. also i had Great help but my buddy Kurt Loewe. and i am positive that he still helps dan wambaugh sewing shirts!

John

VaTrooper
10-24-2006, 02:33 PM
I'll throw my two cents into this... IMHO suggesting higher quality sutlers is a fine thing to do but to criticize someone for the one they already picked is pretty low.

John Legg
10-24-2006, 02:37 PM
I didnt meen it to sound that way, if your talking about me,
i was just referencing what i did, and
if he decides to buy a nice blouse from one of those vendors, that you would save more sewing...

John

VaTrooper
10-24-2006, 02:58 PM
John,
Your FC comment was blunt but in no way distasteful.

John Legg
10-24-2006, 03:04 PM
I did make a mistake!!! i had to get a Whole new knapsack, cause mine had Really bad leather, alot of my stuff is junk and i am replacing it!! im not saying there not nice, cause they are! its just when i paided for it i expected something nice, now i understand why...

John

VaTrooper
10-24-2006, 03:08 PM
It seems I wasnt blunt enough...I was NOT refering to you John.

toptimlrd
10-24-2006, 03:12 PM
I did make a mistake!!! i had to get a Whole new knapsack, cause mine had Really bad leather, alot of my stuff is junk and i am replacing it!! im not saying there not nice, cause they are! its just when i paided for it i expected something nice, now i understand why...

John

John,

Take a look at Cedar Creek's double bag knapsack. It comes complete with the overcoat straps, j hooks, etc. It's very well made by Jim Lammers and is reasonably priced. I recently bought one and used it at Prelude to Chicamauga this past weekend and was very happy with it.

John Legg
10-24-2006, 04:05 PM
ok, ill either buy a lammers or a MoS

toptimlrd
10-24-2006, 04:36 PM
ok, ill either buy a lammers or a MoS

MoS? DId you mean MB&S?

masonicpaintballer
10-24-2006, 06:30 PM
no harm no foul guys, i understand he was angeling me to the light and take no grudges!!! i have choosen more then one sutler (money reasons) and just wanted to show that cresent didn't shaft me thats all....but i like the others that u guys listed!!!

E.Brown
10-25-2006, 09:23 AM
The comments listed are very constructive, but there is another option I took in my quest for authentic gear at an affordable price. Being always on a budget ( the head of household of a young family) I did my research on the impressions I wanted to portray and researched every piece of gear needed for both Western Confederate and Federals. I then set out watching the WTS forums on others sites and bought two authentic kits over a short amount of time. Many items looked brand new and were more than half the price off of new gear. I do mainly mid-war western theatre so I always welcome a little dirt and wear anyway. I did purchase a NEW Tim Bender Hardee hat though and that was money extremely well spent. It saved my thick head from getting soaked early Sunday morning this past weekend at Prelude to Chickmauga.

DaveGink
10-25-2006, 12:30 PM
I am in that group of having had to buy some cheap stuff to get started. I just reentered the hobby this past summer, only had a few items left from before, and didn't want to be borrowing gear at events ... and like others, my budget has been limited. So I bought a few cheap things just to take the field. One such item was a vest from Cresent City. The wool is horrible and all the buttons were loose. However it got me through a hot summer event before I even had a sack to wear. Now I own a Chris Daley sack. I am not advocating buying cheap to start, and I understand the philosophy of buying quality right away, but in my case it seemed to work out well. I was able to participate faster, and I have a couple of friends and family members I'm trying to get in the hobby, so as I replace that junk with quality, it allows me to have loaner gear for them. Yes, the group has loaner stuff as well, but I have found my friends and family seem to feel kind of odd borrowing from them, and you never know what will be available. So, for me it has seemed to help, but I would still advise buying quality first whenever possible.

John Legg
10-26-2006, 04:40 AM
Yeah haha i just got confused! haha

Micah Trent
10-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Several of the guys here have made excellent points.
If this is something you are only going to do for a while...testing the waters...your best bet would be to go with something from Crescent City of Fall Creek. It's affordable and not too hard on the wallet.
On the other hand, if you are looking for quality and something that is going to last a while...it is almost better to go ahead and buy the quality clothing and accountrements. It saves money down the road!
I can tell you from experience, and I am sure some of the others here would agree, that at times you find yourself going out more money on some of the cheaper items because you are either replacing what is wearing out or something tore up and you have to get something new.
Whatever your decision is though....I respect. I hope what you get works out for you and what you want to do.

Micah Trent

John Legg
10-27-2006, 03:21 PM
i agree, and i do respect you decision. im not here to put you down

masonicpaintballer
10-27-2006, 08:07 PM
as a newbie to be honest with you guys, i really can't tell the difference! but im doing my research and trying to find things out, but im also leary of that wallet :(

Archibald Mungo
10-27-2006, 10:04 PM
http://missouribootandshoe.tripod.com/index.html