PDA

View Full Version : reproduction apothecary jars

muzik212
10-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Would anyone happen to have a source for repro stoneware apothecary containers like the ones in the link below? Any modern versions I have found just dont seem to come close.

http://civilwarmed.org/images/ae//drugcase.JPG

I have several originals but feel they have earned their retirement. Not to mention they wouldnt have looked 140+ years old when they were new.

Thanks!
Sean Stevenson

TimKindred
10-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Comrade,

The closest I have ever found is a grey stoneware wide-mouth jar that a certain brand of French mustard comes in. It has a red plastic top that looks like a wax seal, but you can find a nice wide cork for it at most hardware or craft stores. The mustard is easily found in most supermarkets or import food stores.

The other thing that I have been entertaining is the idea of having the local pottery class make up some based off an original. If you have a potter nearby, it might be worth your while to take one by and see about what it might take, if it were even possible, to have them recreated.

Respects,

muzik212
10-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Thank you Tim. It seems that having them made its the best option. I believe I know the mustard you are talking about, I use some of them myself! :)

I have found a local fellow who may be able to make a few based off of my originals. I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again!
Sean Stevenson