View Full Version : reproduction apothecary jars

10-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Would anyone happen to have a source for repro stoneware apothecary containers like the ones in the link below? Any modern versions I have found just dont seem to come close.

I have several originals but feel they have earned their retirement. Not to mention they wouldnt have looked 140+ years old when they were new.

Sean Stevenson

10-16-2006, 12:55 PM

The closest I have ever found is a grey stoneware wide-mouth jar that a certain brand of French mustard comes in. It has a red plastic top that looks like a wax seal, but you can find a nice wide cork for it at most hardware or craft stores. The mustard is easily found in most supermarkets or import food stores.

The other thing that I have been entertaining is the idea of having the local pottery class make up some based off an original. If you have a potter nearby, it might be worth your while to take one by and see about what it might take, if it were even possible, to have them recreated.

10-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Thank you Tim. It seems that having them made its the best option. I believe I know the mustard you are talking about, I use some of them myself! :)

I have found a local fellow who may be able to make a few based off of my originals. I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again!
Sean Stevenson