PDA

View Full Version : Strange and unusual gifts

blueYankee
10-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Just for fun...I thought I would ask other ladies- What strange reenacting items have you received as gifts from Husbands, significant others??
The reason I ask is that my darling husband of 24 yrs thinks he is being Romantic and thoughtful when he give me items such as a revolver( hmm come to think of it...he uses) and the now infamous corded petticoat, which I might add he had no idea what it was called and had to get assistance from the shopkeeper.....
Blue Yankee
PS- We will be married 25yrs this coming May....wonder what he has up his sack coat sleeve????

Joanna
10-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Are you talking about things most people consider strange, but are truly useful? My first corset kit, from Farthingales. When my mother heard what my husband was getting me for Christmas, all she could do was raise her eyebrow. If you are talking about things people get with the best of intentions, that would have to go to my mother, who spent a lot of money at a gift shop in the Smithsonian for a cape for me " to wear with my Old-fashioned stuff"- it's beautiful....except it is made of fleece. :rolleyes: She means well, but wonders when I'll grow up (I'm 41) Joanna Jones

vmescher
10-18-2006, 08:24 AM
Just for fun...I thought I would ask other ladies- What strange reenacting items have you received as gifts from Husbands, significant others??
The reason I ask is that my darling husband of 24 yrs thinks he is being Romantic and thoughtful when he give me items such as a revolver( hmm come to think of it...he uses) and the now infamous corded petticoat, which I might add he had no idea what it was called and had to get assistance from the shopkeeper.....
Blue Yankee

This is not what I received but what I gave as a gift. For one anniversary, I asked my husband what he wanted and he asked for a 12 pound shot. Now, as a civilian, I had to first ask him what it was and where to get one. "Oh, just go to a sporting goods store." was the the reply. You should have seen the look when I told the clerk that it was an anniversary gift.

Now, when he uses is as a prop for school programs and as a bowling ball at living histories, you should see people's faces when he tells them that it was an anniversary gift from his wife.

We have been married 34 years.

Ginefur4
10-18-2006, 11:19 AM
When I first got into this hobby my now husband (boyfriend at the time) gave an etiquette and manners book for my birthday. Of course, I had to ask if that was some sort of hint. He wisely answered it was for information only.

Another year for Christmas I received boots. Not very romantic and hard for others to understand, but that was one less expense for me.

The latest "Just Because" gift has been a beeswax candle kit.

Though the gifts were not romantic they are practical and useful.

Jennifer Fore