View Full Version : Cannon Firing 101

sbl
10-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Is this how it's done??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWKHFZOTGXY

jda2dn
10-14-2006, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=sbl]Is this how it's done??

If that can even be called a gun drill, it's the scariest I've ever seen. To answer your question: No that is not the proper way to load and fire a cannon. I would have to offer to train them according to French, Barry, and Hunt's manual. For my two cents that's the best. If that didn't work I would place my gun at the other end of the gun line from them.

tompritchett
10-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Is this how it's done??

Only if you want to qualify for a Darwin Award. :twisted:

Graves Mercantile
10-14-2006, 02:18 PM
When did cowboys start shooting cannons?

MStuart
10-14-2006, 02:26 PM
The chaps are a nice touch..........I think.

Mark

Forquer
10-14-2006, 03:25 PM
I second what Mr. Vlack said. Obviously, there was no semblance of any knowledge/awareness of a thing called drill, the piece may have been homemade (definitely subscale), and the round was overcharged. If you're going to use priming powder down the vent, at least use a linstock and slow match to ignite the darn thing!

Some people are bound and determined to be lemmings. While in some cases this would be a positive move for some gene sumps, such a sentiment is frowned upon by the more charitable among us.

jurgitemvaletem
10-15-2006, 12:53 AM
I agree with Forquer, these are clearly folks that have never seen anything close to a drill manual, or for that matter seen it the the way it is supposed to be done. Something like this is what gives reenactors a bad name in somes voices and opnions.

thanks,
Jurgitem Valetem

sbl
10-15-2006, 11:21 AM
When did cowboys start shooting cannons?

Cowboys...how about these Western Buffs in Germany??

http://www.karl-may-spiele.at/Bilder/Winnetou%20II%20(2003).dir/_big/MD%20080.jpg

sbl
10-15-2006, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=sbl]Is this how it's done??

If that can even be called a gun drill, it's the scariest I've ever seen. To answer your question: No that is not the proper way to load and fire a cannon. I would have to offer to train them according to French, Barry, and Hunt's manual. For my two cents that's the best. If that didn't work I would place my gun at the other end of the gun line from them.

Funny, I was looking at YouTube for something else. Now you have to watch out for newpapers, TV, and Youtube catching you doing something stupid.

Thanks for the notes on Gun manuals.

Forquer
10-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Scott -

Much to everyone's benefit, may I say that you have WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY too much time on your hands!

sbl
10-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Scott -

Much to everyone's benefit, may I say that you have WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY too much time on your hands!

Considering the recent computer related Congressional news, I'm lucky to just have Time on my hands.

I have a short attention span so my computer is a chair spin from the TV and my toy soldier painting bench. (Conte Collectables Confederates at the moment.)

I must add that a wife, two children and a 8 plus hour a day job with a 100 mile round trip commute cut down on my fun time.

Thank for the comment.

Mojo1842
10-15-2006, 09:22 PM
That had to be the worst example of a diminished crew drill that I've ever seen

Graves Mercantile
10-16-2006, 08:48 AM
I had no idea that the klan used cannons! Did they use burning crosses to light them? That would be about as safe as the idiots on that video!

Thanks for finding all the weird stuff. It really makes my day more entertaining.

jda2dn
10-16-2006, 01:59 PM
The picture of the "Western Buffs" is a slap in the face to all artillerymen. It may be their idea of a joke, I hope, but I find no humor in it. Some people will find that picture and believe that is what we are about. That makes my blood boil. I am glad we have the chance to get out and educate the public to the truth.

sbl
10-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Russell,
This shot is from a German group that puts on outdoor productions of author Karl May wild west stories. I think this was May's or these German's idea of "bad guys".

Karl May festivals

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_May

"The most famous is the open-air-festival every summer in Bad Segeberg, Schleswig-Holstein (Northern Germany), whose plays for many years were directed by the movie actor Pierre Brice. Also there are open air plays at Elspe, where movie-actor Pierre Brice for seveal years also was playing his Winnetou-character in a live version and at the mountain-stage in Radebeul, the village where Karl May lived."

jda2dn
10-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Scott,

I thank you for your post and the link.