PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Blanket

rebel yell
10-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Does anyone know who makes or sells carpet blankets? Thanks

Nighthawk
10-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Derrick,

Your best bet is to make one yourself. Keep in mind that mid 19th century carpet was not like what we use as carpeting now. It did not have the thick stiff backing and was similar to a 21st century, very heavy drapery material. Somewhere in my files I have a period newspaper account of the women in Macon sewing jeancloth onto carpeting to make blankets for the soldiers.
I found enough carpeting material for a blanket at a fabric shop in the remnants/closeout bin. I backed it with wool jean cloth to make a nice warm blanket. Not hard to do and very underrepresented!

rebel yell
10-13-2006, 06:31 PM
I agree that they are underrepresented, I will try making one. Thanks

Seamus
10-14-2006, 07:24 AM
Go to Pat Kliens website at Family Heirloom Weavers: http://www.familyheirloomweavers.com/cat/Carpet.html

James Permane

rebel yell
10-14-2006, 11:45 AM

Lwhite64
10-14-2006, 12:30 PM
You need to look for Ingrain Carpet, I have found pieces of it on Ebay before, just make sure there is enough to make a blanket out of.

Lee

Spinster
10-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Lee--I'm gonna get the whacking stick out here. <grin>

Those of us who deal with orginal household textiles discourage the use of them in the field.

A piece of ingrain is no different than an original uniform---and I know you as a fine historical professional who would never consider using an original uniform in the field.

The same goes for period coverlets, carpeting, and household textiles--they are simply things that were the province and control of the womenfolk, and were not held and valued in the same way as those things worn in battle by the men. They are still objects of the period that need to be preserved and studied.

Textiles are simply more perishable than 'hard goods'--bayonets, guns, cannon, knives, forks, cookpots and the like.

Family Heirloom Weavers does a fine job of reproducing period ingrain patterns. I highly recommend them as a materials source for those making a period ingrain blanket reproduction.