PDA

View Full Version : Watch Dog Review On Cadet Gray Butternut Brown In!

Tarky
10-12-2006, 07:49 AM
Well, the first official review by Bill Christen of the Watchdog on Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown, Notes on Confedederate Uniforms, is in. Mr. Christen writes, "These hundred pages provide an excellent foundation for a better understanding of Confederate uniforms, than most other books on the subject. This book is essential for anyone interested in improving their Confederate impression." ARF!

Thanks Bill--

Tom Arliskas
CSuniforms.

sumter_guard
10-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Hey Tom,

I can't wait to get my copy. I don't know why I haven't gotten it yet actually! Beyond that, I have kind of a comment and question and what better place to pose it I don't know.

I've been collecting digital copies of Confederate soldiers from various places online for my own collection. I'm up to some 250 images and most of those are AoT soldiers. I know that many if not most images of soldiers were generally taken early in the war and thus we see a tremendous variance of jacket styles. What I pay special attention to are the clearly mid-war AoT images. In those that I have, I still see a pretty big variation. Many are jackets, a few are of the "Columbus Depot" type but more are very plain with no trim. I am also consistently surprised by the number of civilian sack style coats.

As a living historian, I love wearing my civilian sack coat in the ranks. I think they are underrepresented based on contemporary images and I also am starting to think that the "Columbus" style shell jacket might be overrepresented in the field. There just seems to be such a variation of jackets in the images. Do you think that the presence of civ. sack style coats was fairly well represented in the field during the war? And, do you think that "Columbus" style shells might be overrepresented in the western portion of our hobby?

Andrew

jgr1974
10-12-2006, 05:09 PM
I bought a book from Mr. Arliskas off ebay. It is awesome!!! If you buy it from him, he will send a personalized autogrphed copy to you! I have had email conversations with him in the past. He is a true Gentleman and a scholar. He knows his stuff as well, and it is packed with lots of pictures! They are not the ones published over and over, but fresh new info! My special interest was on the 15th Tennesse. A "company" was raised in Sothron Illinois so I have special interest in them! Well worth the money!

Jeremy

Jim Mayo
10-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Hey Tom,

I know that many if not most images of soldiers were generally taken early in the war and thus we see a tremendous variance of jacket styles. What I pay special attention to are the clearly mid-war AoT images. In those that I have, I still see a pretty big variation. Many are jackets, a few are of the "Columbus Depot" type but more are very plain with no trim. I am also consistently surprised by the number of civilian sack style coats.

Do you think that the presence of civ. sack style coats was fairly well represented in the field during the war? And, do you think that "Columbus" style shells might be overrepresented in the western portion of our hobby?

Andrew

Early war images do contain all sorts of civilian, military and a mixture of the two type garmets. As the war progressed, civilan sources became fewer for various reasons. At the same time the depots got up to speed and started issuing large numbers of uniforms. Over time the depot issue would produce a shift in the type of garmets the men were wearing from civilian attire to military issue. This mix or percentage may have been different between the AOT and the ANV due to supply issues but IMO the later in the war, the more uniform the troops were in both armies. I am not saying that all of the jackets in the AOT were CD jackets but a large percentage would have been as the war progressed. There is evidence that the CD jackets were made at more than one location. Jackets from different locations may have looked slighty different.

Anyone who has not read Geoff Walden's article on CD jackets here is the location. There are quite a few color photos of existing CD jackets for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/1864/cd/cdjacket.htm

Tarky
10-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Hey Tom,

I can't wait to get my copy. I don't know why I haven't gotten it yet actually! Beyond that, I have kind of a comment and question and what better place to pose it I don't know.

I've been collecting digital copies of Confederate soldiers from various places online for my own collection. I'm up to some 250 images and most of those are AoT soldiers. I know that many if not most images of soldiers were generally taken early in the war and thus we see a tremendous variance of jacket styles. What I pay special attention to are the clearly mid-war AoT images. In those that I have, I still see a pretty big variation. Many are jackets, a few are of the "Columbus Depot" type but more are very plain with no trim. I am also consistently surprised by the number of civilian sack style coats.

As a living historian, I love wearing my civilian sack coat in the ranks. I think they are underrepresented based on contemporary images and I also am starting to think that the "Columbus" style shell jacket might be overrepresented in the field. There just seems to be such a variation of jackets in the images. Do you think that the presence of civ. sack style coats was fairly well represented in the field during the war? And, do you think that "Columbus" style shells might be overrepresented in the western portion of our hobby?

Andrew

Hello, Your question can only be answered, "in general". The sack coat was seen more often in the early months and years of the Civil War. In the Western theatre, Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Perryville, Corinth, and Stones River, would have many of the soldiers in commutation collected, 1/2 civilian and military uniforms and clothing.
In the Eastern campaigns, Peninsular, 7 Days, 2nd Bull Run, and Antietam had a mixture in clothing.
By mid to late 1863 the Depots kicked in with the appointment of a new Quartermaster General and the dropping of the commutation system. It is intetesting to note that soldiers still wanted the garments sent from home and did prefer these over Government issued uniforms. The frock coat was a popular style by mid war, jackets' big 1n 61' and afterward, and then sacks. A military sack with a big pocket and military buttons, high collar are seen in photos and surviving pieces.
As to the Columbus Depot in the West-- They really started to distribute this style in the summer and fall of 1862, and again in the fall of 1863 to practically the whole army. Columbus Depots were seen at Perryville, Stones River, and were distributed in great numbers in October, November of 1863 after Chicamauga. As to the Columbus Depot being over represented in the Western Reenactments--It would depend on the Battle and date. Lookout Mountain and through 1864 thousands were issued, initailly with blue trousers. The blues were replaced with gray by mid to late 64. It also depends on your Regiment. The Missouri Brigade, the Kentucky Brigade, being cut off from home, got first dibs on new government clothing. Cleburnes' men ditto. Alabama and North Carolina supplied State clothing.-- Louisiana when they could. As you can see, unless you really dig into the research at the Regimental level, all you can say is "generally"-- and what you find could be totally different from what you might have believed to be what, "they had in general"!!!??-

Tom Arliskas
Tarky

marcaverill
10-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Picked up my copy a couple weeks ago. Very nice peice of work Mr. Arliskas!

ewtaylor
10-15-2006, 04:13 PM
As to the Columbus Depot in the West-- They really started to distribute this style in the summer and fall of 1862, and again in the fall of 1863 to practically the whole army. Columbus Depots were seen at Perryville, Stones River, and were distributed in great numbers in October, November of 1863 after Chicamauga.
Tom Arliskas
Tarky

Tom,
Could you tell me which units wore CD jackets at Perryville? I was under the impression Bragg's men were in Ky when those jackets were being first issued and they were refitted after coming back to Tn.
thanks,
ew taylor