PDA

View Full Version : Good to see yer back, Bob

indguard
02-10-2006, 01:37 AM
Man, this must have been quite a headache for you.

Thanks for going through it all for us.

Now... let the games begin!!

-WTH

RobertSzabo
02-10-2006, 01:51 AM
Good to be back.

For those of you who hadnt heard my server was hacked.

I didnt loose any data and as I posted in another message will be creating a searchable database out of the posts from the old forum. I have several years worth data and think this should prove to be a vaulable source of information.

I had to update and reinstall and had to do away with the old forum. I like this one and will be modifying and tweak over the next few weeks. More forums will be hear very soon.

Have fun and "play" nice. :)

Rob
02-10-2006, 03:57 AM
Good luck!

TJ Bartel
02-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Very glad you're back. :wink:

MDRebCAv
02-10-2006, 09:25 AM
I am sorry to hear that someone was dishonorable enough to hack into your site. Gee...my profile used to say I was a charter member now I had to re-register :(

At least now I can stop having my CWReenactor Forum withdrawal! :?

Thanks for all of your work here, Bob. We really do appreciate it.

MrsArmstrong
02-10-2006, 09:40 AM
So glad you are back! You should sell the data base on CD....I'd buy one! You sure do have a valuable source!!!
Susan Armstrong

Good to be back.

I didnt loose any data and as I posted in another message will be creating a searchable database out of the posts from the old forum. I have several years worth data and think this should prove to be a vaulable source of information.
Have fun and "play" nice. :)

Capt Terry
02-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Bob,

I appreciate the efforts. I missed the forum and am glad it's online.

Eric Tipton
02-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Bob:

Welcome back! Having been through a few crashes first-hand, I know you guys have put in a ton of work to get things back together. Reenactor cyberspace wouldn't be the same without this forum.

Missouri Mule
02-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Welcome back!

Really like the new format! Hope everything goes smoothly.

Regards,
Matthew Easley

Julio C. Zangroniz
02-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Welcome back, Mr. Szabo.
You perform a great service on behalf of the CW reenacting community, and I hope everyone appreciates it, whether a user of your forum or not.
Julio

BobWerner
02-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Bob:

Good to see you back on line. Are you having fun yet? :D

Hang in there,

Julio C. Zangroniz
02-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Bob,
I know that at a time when you're probably running around putting out a thousand major wildfires, a report of a small amount of smoke in a remote corner of the forest may be inconsequential, but...
you may want to check your clock, because my entry shows it was posted at 7-something PM, while in reality I did so between 9:30 and 10:00 AM. It is approximately 10:20 AM as I type, so this post may be a good test of the clock, when we see the "official" time of posting.
It may be something you may want to check at a later time, after you've completed the arduous task of getting the forum back in working order.
Once again, my personal thanks for all you do.
Julio

hanktrent
02-10-2006, 11:59 AM
you may want to check your clock, because my entry shows it was posted at 7-something PM, while in reality I did so between 9:30 and 10:00 AM.

I don't think it's controlled by Bob; it's a personal choice for each user. Click on "profile" at the top of the page, then scroll down about two thirds of the way to "timezone." You can change the time to read however many hours after Greenwich Mean Time that you want.

Hank Trent
hanktrent@voyager.net
www.hanktrent.com

Union Navy
02-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Welcome back!
Before I return to lurking, and while you are reconstructing, how about adding a Navy forum in addition to the infantry, artillery and cavalry fora?

Graves Mercantile
02-10-2006, 01:00 PM
If you look at the bottom right of the message thread it states "All times are GMT + 5 Hours". Since I am in the central time zone I am at GMT -6hrs. It is 11am right now, so my post short list as being posted at 10pm.

FWL
02-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Good to be back, thanks for all the work Bob. I think I like this format but time will tell. I know it must have been allot of work. Thank you..

Frank Lilley

RobertSzabo
02-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Rather than create individual discussions we have always just kept all MIlitary CW in one forum.

I that leaves room for others to set up there own forums with a more narrow focus.

Anonymous
02-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Glad to see you back again I was having withdraws :shock:

Chuck A Luck
02-10-2006, 10:29 PM
I'll echo the sentiment that it's very good to have this forum up & running again. It looks nice, too. 8)

Charles Kibler
Harford Rifles

tompritchett
02-11-2006, 08:10 AM
For those of you who hadnt heard my server was hacked.

Just out of curousity, do you have any idea you or from where the attack came from. I am wondering whether it came from the {unmentionable} whose spams we had been routinely deleting from the old New Users forum.

As for the hackers:

May they each be infested with the lice from a Civil War army after a season of campaigning.

May they never be blessed with the knowledge of their real father.

It is good to have you back.

imported_moderator
02-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Yes, we've felt it would be better to keep this forum geared to a larger scope, instead of segmenting it too much. If you find or start a naval forum however, please let us know so we can set up some links.

Provost

imported_moderator
02-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Eric,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Bob's done the hard part of resetting the foundation and reframing the house.

Now I have to finish the trim out, pick out the color scheme and figure out what sort of dishes to put on the table.

All of you get to pick off the menu and enjoy the meal. :)

Welcome back to Szabo's Dining Room!

Provost

P.S. For those who may not recall, our guiding metaphor for these forums is that we're enjoying an evening of conversation around Mr. Szabo's dining room table. Thus, the rules for vigorous but respectful conversation are in effect.

Scooby_308
02-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Welcome back. the site looks good.

MStuart
03-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Isn't there a way to remove this c-r-a-p?

Mark

Radar
03-29-2006, 10:25 AM
:roll: I see the gremlins have struck again, ****.

tompritchett
03-30-2006, 09:08 AM
And to make matters worse, this new version seems to lack an alert function.

MStuart
03-30-2006, 01:45 PM
One day, there'll come a time when one can "spam the spammer". And when that day comes, I'm gonna have a good time.

Mark

tompritchett
03-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Since the spam is being allowed to stay posted, I am wondering whether or not there is now a reluctance to delete them. Under the old system the Provost, Sgt Pepper and I were routinely deleting the spam as soon as either of us spotted it. I am no longer a moderator here and cannot delete them but it does not appear that anyone is. I have to wonder if there is a fear that if the spam is deleted, the spammers will attack the website and bring it down. Possible the last attack was a response to our deletions.

MStuart
03-31-2006, 12:19 AM
Tom:

And therein may lie another problem, although I may be reaching.....

The board used to have 7000+ members, and a pretty loyal "crew" of posters. There's 500+ back on board along with some of the more noteworthy, but not nearly as much as before. I hazard to opine that the amount of "spam" spotted by both new and old members may be giving some room to pause before signing up again.

If this stuff had showed up before I signed back on, I would have been a tad more hesitant to get on board also. You just never know what an innocent "click" of the mouse might be able to do with an infected web-site.

Mark

Thinkin late at night about "bogeymen"

Provost
04-02-2006, 08:24 AM
"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."

It has just been an extremely busy week for me, that's all. No bogeymen, no infections. The site will not infect your system, nor will you suffer harm from viewing this junk inadvertantly.

Tom, I know I need to get you back on board. I meant to do it earlier but there was some glitch that prevented it then. I will try to make it happen this weekend if I at all possible. I apologize for not getting you signed back up earlier.

Provost