PDA

View Full Version : Repo 1861 6th Wisconsin Vols Flag

hhikker
09-10-2010, 01:04 AM
hello Fellas,

I thought I would ask what your thoughts are on a flag I was asked to make. I'm not looking to get slammed just wanted some friendly thoughts. I am in no way a flag maker nor do I really want to do it. This was made for a friend who had asked me if I could do it as a favor since he ordered a flag from someone and never received it. So I decided to give it a go. Its not perfect but I was lucky enough to get all the measurements from the museum archivist at the Wisconsin Veterans Museum she was a great help for this.

Thanks All.
Don B

JesseJames70
09-10-2010, 12:34 PM
I like it. It looks like you used silk, I assume the original was the same? Handsewn or machine? Either way I appreciate your time that went in to it. I have done several repros for the guys in my unit with a few more to go, so I really can understand what you went through.

hhikker
09-10-2010, 02:14 PM
It was made with acetate (synthetic silk type) he did not want to spring for the price of the silk or for me to hand sew it, so he got machined sewn. It was hard to get the stripes to set right with the canton. its not perfect but it was a fun project to see come together.

I like it. It looks like you used silk, I assume the original was the same? Handsewn or machine? Either way I appreciate your time that went in to it. I have done several repros for the guys in my unit with a few more to go, so I really can understand what you went through.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
09-10-2010, 03:16 PM
It was made with acetate (synthetic silk type) he did not want to spring for the price of the silk or for me to hand sew it, so he got machined sewn. It was hard to get the stripes to set right with the canton. its not perfect but it was a fun project to see come together.

I do not know where the myth that a flag must be handsewn to be correct comes from. Of course, there were flags that were, particularly CS flags and many early Union volunteer regimental flags, however, the vast majority of Union flags that I've examined have been machine sewn. I think you did a pretty good job on your reproduction, even with the synthetic silk. Flags are pretty tough, and involve a whole lot of labor. I'm a purist when it comes to almost everything, particularly material culture items, but I can understand having to make some subsititutions when it comes to flag production. Many modern silks do not accurately replicate period silks, and with the cost and labor involved in making a repro these days, a synthetic holds up to the elements a bit better. Even the best wool buntings produced today have some synthetic fibers.

hhikker
09-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks Ross, if it were not for the lady @ the Wisconsin Veterans Museum this would have never came together.

I do not know where the myth that a flag must be handsewn to be correct comes from. Of course, there were flags that were, particularly CS flags and many early Union volunteer regimental flags, however, the vast majority of Union flags that I've examined have been machine sewn. I think you did a pretty good job on your reproduction, even with the synthetic silk. Flags are pretty tough, and involve a whole lot of labor. I'm a purist when it comes to almost everything, particularly material culture items, but I can understand having to make some subsititutions when it comes to flag production. Many modern silks do not accurately replicate period silks, and with the cost and labor involved in making a repro these days, a synthetic holds up to the elements a bit better. Even the best wool buntings produced today have some synthetic fibers.

huntdaw
09-10-2010, 06:46 PM
It looks pretty darn good to me and would be quite striking on the field I would think.

JesseJames70
09-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Ross,
I wasn't trying to imply that it should be hand-sewn, I was just curious. I haven't tried to tackle any Federal colors yet, so I appreciate your comment/info. It probably saved me a lot of time in a future project.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
09-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Hallo!

Unless they were "privately made" donated, dedicated type flags.

Before the War, flags had been made at Schuylkill Arsenal.

Since the Government assumed the responsibility for state units raised for Union service, SA was quickly over-burdened so the Quartermaster Department established additional flag depots at New York and Cincinnati.

Trivia. NUG... NY Depot did square cantons with painted gold stars in five horizontal rows. Philadelphia Depot did the regulation long rectangle canton with gold stars in two concentric rings. Cincy did a rectangular canton but arranged the stars in rows.

Being the depot system, flags were arsenal made up as kits, and distribute dto sub-contractors for completion.

NUG, they were machine sewn as the "long seams" lent themselves well to quick production versus hand-sewing.

CHS

springfield63
09-10-2010, 09:32 PM
I think you did great work! very well done sir...

hhikker
09-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Thank you. I may try to make another but i'm not sure what one to make.

I think you did great work! very well done sir...

springfield63
09-11-2010, 11:32 AM
I am trying to get the 25th corps HQ flag made myself...How much do you charge for flags?

hhikker
09-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Not really sure what to charge as i didnt charge anything but materials as it was a favor. I guess it would depend on how big and complex it is. PM me and we will discuss it further.

I am trying to get the 25th corps HQ flag made myself...How much do you charge for flags?

MLovejoy
09-11-2010, 04:29 PM
If you want to make the flag, here it is.

http://historical.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=6021&Lot_No=57330

hhikker
09-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks that's a great write up on it too, nice history with almost all measurements needed. Now I wonder if the blue was a darker blue at the time and might have faded out with age.

If you want to make the flag, here it is.

http://historical.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=6021&Lot_No=57330