PDA

View Full Version : Flag letter embroidery?

Ohioreb1861
07-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Hello, I have a project i've been dragging my feet in, I'm trying to embroider the lettering on a flag, its fairly large, what is the best method to do this, I have an originial picture of the flag but no details on the embroidery. What was the most common stitch?

Ross L. Lamoreaux
07-18-2010, 08:40 PM
First verify that indeed the lettering was embroidered on the original flag (many were just painted on). Next, go to the local library or Amazon.com and get a beginners book on embroidery. You'll be surprised at how quickly you can learn to do some of the basic stitches. Its impossible to tell you what kind of stitch without seeing pics, but many were chainstitched while others were more intricate and involved other types of stitching.

Ohioreb1861
07-20-2010, 04:36 PM
I have no idea what it was, thats why I was asking what the most common type was. Yes i'm sure it was embroidered and I have a book on embroidery.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
07-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Hallo!

Sorry... no.

IMHO, and heresies, always copy the original you are working from.

As shared, it was NUG, to paint or sometimes stitch on "appliques" such as the stars or sometimes on CS flags the battle honors were done on strips and distributed to be applied in the field.

CHS

Ohioreb1861
07-20-2010, 07:59 PM
I think I got it, they were all painted and there was no typical embroidery pattern. so the flag that i'm doing the original was embroidered so I should just paint it. The 9th Tennessee flag was embroidered anyway. i'll look somewhere else.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
07-20-2010, 08:23 PM
I think I got it, they were all painted and there was no typical embroidery pattern. so the flag that i'm doing the original was embroidered so I should just paint it. The 9th Tennessee flag was embroidered anyway. i'll look somewhere else.

Huh? Nobody here has suggested in the slightest that you paint something if you're copying an original that was embroidered. Neither has anyone mentioned that all flags were painted, as there are several extent originals that are embroidered. There is no need to get huffy if the answer you're looking for isn't readily provided, as the question you asked has no exact answer. When it comes to period embroidery, there are many factors involved, and no "typical embroidery pattern". I might suggest to you that since nobody has answered to your exact satisfaction, you might want to try going to the Authentic Campaigner board or Off Topic Boys where you might get an answer more fitting for your query.

Spinster
07-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Alright, lets take a deep breath and start this again.

Please post the picture of the original, with as much resolution as possible.
This may make it possible to identify the stitch here.

It may be that your picture does not have enough resolution to tell--if it does not, you will need to contact the holder of the original for a better image.

Embrodiery is a time consuming skill to learn and to do. You want to do this right. There is no one most common stitch in the embrodier's hand-Piffle!, My childhood sampler workbook required more than 100 different stitches, and the construct varied depending on both the thread used and the ground stitched upon.

You may also wish to start hunting a local chapter of the Embrodiers Guild of America, as they do an excellent job of teaching beginners, and have Masters who will do fine embrodiery for a price.

GaWildcat
07-21-2010, 08:08 AM
I know the flag of the 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters was sewn and then stars, unit designation, and battle honors appliqued. The battle honors were done very crudely, and at least two stars on the fly end were lost somehow.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
07-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Hallo!

"i'll look somewhere else."

IMHO... nope. When copying originals, always copy the original.

Study and then replicate the embroidery found. (Historically, using an embroidery style or method invented in say 1960 is only a degree or so not as bad as painting instead of embroidery.)

CHS