PDA

View Full Version : Camp Douglas

reb64
10-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Hey all. I am working in Chicago as of late and in my off time went and tried to find the acres of **** known as CampDouglas. It is all gone and the site in a very rough neighborhood on mlk blvd. there is a funeral home run by nct decendeants near the area and they fly a battle flag (rectangular kind) plus african and us flags. they, (the griffin funeral home) also has a display to the south pows, and several strrets south is a huge cemetary, flanked on all sides by huge concrete walls. Inside is a huge monument to the pows of camp douglas. All civil war history here is hard to find. Funny thing is I went to a country western bar that had a battle flag flying but recently took it down. ironic isn't it, a union decendant and african american flys it, but the whites are scared too. Chicago is pitful on civ war heritage, even more shameful is the lethargic attitude by southerners here.

celtfiddler
10-06-2006, 12:40 PM
All civil war history here is hard to find.

Keep in mind the Great Chicago Fire (October 8-10, 1871) destroyed a lot of Chicago's civil war era history. Link for a map to give you an idea of how large an area of the city was affected. http://www.chicagohs.org/fire/conflag/pic-firemap.html

Head over to the Chicago Historical Society (they just renamed it the Chicago History Museum), I know in the past they had a major exhibit featuring their civil war artifact collection.

Get over to the Harold Washington Library Special Collections Dept--they possess a large GAR collection.

Check out the Newberry Library also.