PDA

View Full Version : hoop petticoats

RebeccaMI
10-05-2006, 11:05 AM
I currently have a four-hoop petticoat that I can choose to wear underneath my day dress. The hoops are made of thin and flexible light-weight metal covered with a protector of some sort (and then of course they are sewn inside the petticoat but can be removed for washing). The petticoat has been residing on top of the papasan chair in my bedroom because I'm rather at a loss how to store it so the hoops don't get out of shape. How do you ladies store your hoops?

bizzilizzit
10-05-2006, 11:16 AM
I currently have a four-hoop petticoat that I can choose to wear underneath my day dress. The hoops are made of thin and flexible light-weight metal covered with a protector of some sort (and then of course they are sewn inside the petticoat but can be removed for washing). The petticoat has been residing on top of the papasan chair in my bedroom because I'm rather at a loss how to store it so the hoops don't get out of shape. How do you ladies store your hoops?

Under my bed, flat. Makes a great nesting bed for my cat!
Elizabeth

Delia Godric
10-05-2006, 12:52 PM
I store mine in a canvas bag that is approx 2 feet by 4.5 feet. It sits upright just inside the closet. I can fit 2 covered hoops in there. My cage has it's own bag. I haven't had a problem with mis-shaping. My original lays flat, wrapped behind the dresser. Under the bed would be good but then I would have to find a new home for the table leaf.

Anna Worden

RebeccaMI
10-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Under my bed, flat. Makes a great nesting bed for my cat!
Elizabeth

But then doesn't it get dusty and/or covered with cat hair? Or do you keep it inside some sort of cover?

bizzilizzit
10-05-2006, 04:29 PM
But then doesn't it get dusty and/or covered with cat hair? Or do you keep it inside some sort of cover?

Yes to both! I use a clothing brush on it before I wear it. I live in a small apartment, and there is simply no place to keep them (I've got 3 covered hoops and one cage).
Elizabeth

MissMaggie
10-05-2006, 07:44 PM
My hoops live behind my bedroom door on a large hook.

ElizabethClark
10-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Mine are like Maggie's: I've a hook on the back wall of the closet, and they hang flat back there, behind all the clothes.

catspjamas
10-05-2006, 10:13 PM
My hoop has been stored on a hook on the bedroom door, folded(?) into a trunk, squished into a drawer, and right now the petticoat is folded in a cabinet and the hoops are hanging over a couple of hooks in the laundry room.

Joni

celtfiddler
10-05-2006, 10:26 PM
I don't own a covered hoop petticoat at the present time. My cage crinoline is hanging off a wire hanger in the closet.

ElizabethClark
10-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Tip: whether it's a cage or covered hoop, if you let the thing telescope to the floor, you can gather all the rungs from the largest to the waistband over to one point, tie it with a strip of twill tape or ribbon, then hang that point over a hanger or hook. Having one point tied together really helps with keeping everything telescoped and flat.

RebeccaMI
10-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Mine are like Maggie's: I've a hook on the back wall of the closet, and they hang flat back there, behind all the clothes.

That's what I was thinking of doing, with the whole thing telescoped flat and the hoops gathered together at one point like mentioned in another post. Perhaps the whole thing inside one of those biiiiig Christmas tree bags to keep the dust off. But I was worried that it would sag and the hoops would still get out of shape.

Spinster
10-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Another workable solution:

Make a bag out of any available fabric, up to 18 inches across, up to 60 inches deep (in other words, 1 yard of 60 inch wide fabric, folded cross-grain). Put a little hanging strap on the top of the bag. Compress the hoop and stuff it in. Hang the strap on a hanger, and put it in with the dresses.

This works for any "sulter grade" covered hoop, and leaves them none the worse for the storage--its still how I store our 'loaner' hoops.

For the more expensive cage crinolines, I make the bag as wide as the shoulders of a dress, and nearly as long, allowing the cage to be less compressed. While they are riding in checked luggage on an airplane with no harm, I'm still picky about their long-term storage due to their cost.

Carolann Schmitt
10-23-2006, 10:18 AM
I also store my crinolines in a bag, but mine is a different shape than Terre's.
- Lay the crinoline flat on a double-layer of fabric.
- Trace around the outside edge of the largest steel.
- Add 2" for ease and seam allowance.
- Add a 16" wide 'neck' at the top. (Think round hot water bottle.)
- Sew the outside edges of the bag; hem the top of the neck.
- Add two long straps to suspend the bag on either side of the 'neck'.
- Insert crinoline, fold neck down between straps (you can add a closure if you wish), and store. You can hang it along the back wall of your closet, store it under your bed, or stash it behind a piece of furniture.

The main advantage to a circular bag is that it maintains the shape of the steels. Depending on the quality of the boning, long-term storage in a rectangular bag can distort the shape of the steels.

Miss Dixie
11-07-2006, 07:04 AM
can anyone tell me where I can get one? I havn't had any luck looking on the internet, just got directed to some weird stuff on ebay.

Diane Gipson

ElizabethClark
11-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Needle & Thread in Gettysburg carries the "Cadillac of Cages" in kit form and finished; they don't have a site for everything, but you can see the cage at: http://www.woodedhamlet.com

Kay Gnagey sells kits and finished cages: http://www.originals-by-kay.com

Glenna Jo Christen carries cages: http://home.earthlink.net/~gchristen/Catalog.html

Rhonda Elvin makes them, and does sometimes list on eBay, but I'm having a hard time finding her info--Rhonda, if you read this, PM me or email me so I can edit and post the information here, and copy it to my files!

Miss Dixie
11-09-2006, 06:20 AM
Thank you so much, I have found one that I like and have informed my husband that is what he is getting me for Christmas.

Diane Gipson

StLouislady
11-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Rhonda posts on this forum and also on the Civil War Needleworkers list (Polly's list on yahoo.)

I'll send her a message letting her know you're looking for her. By the way, Rhonda and I swapped work quite a bit last year -- I knit for her and she sews whites for me (whites are my bete noir). I can attest to the very high quality of her workmanship.