PDA

View Full Version : Old Time Music

kyguerilla
07-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Just moved to the York/Gettysburg area and was looking for some folks who might be interested in doing some Civil War/ old time music.
I've been in old time and bluegrass bands ( I've sat in with everyone from Bill Monroe to The Pogues) and play banjo and mandolin.
Drop me a line.

Hardtack Herring
07-06-2010, 08:50 PM
There is a big difference between Civil War era music and Old Time Music, as well as the instruments used to play both types of music.

What type of banjo do you play?

kyguerilla
07-11-2010, 09:11 PM
I have a collection of era banjos, mandolins and fiddles.
The old time I play I learned from musicians that learned from their fathers.
I grew up in KY and those tunes were there way before the CW.

hanktrent
07-11-2010, 09:31 PM
How do you feel about claw-hammer banjo? Old-time, Civil War, or both?

Hank Trent
hanktrent@gmail.com

JustRob
07-11-2010, 10:39 PM
If you've played with the Pogues, you should talk with Kevin McCready at the Garyowen Pub in Gettysburg.

Kevin & his wife are from Armagh and run a nice place.

Radar
07-12-2010, 03:41 AM
It would be considerate to sign your name& give your contact info. Kinda makes it nice for rvery body, so we don't call you Steve instead of Sally.:p

Just moved to the York/Gettysburg area and was looking for some folks who might be interested in doing some Civil War/ old time music.
I've been in old time and bluegrass bands ( I've sat in with everyone from Bill Monroe to The Pogues) and play banjo and mandolin.
Drop me a line.

kyguerilla
07-12-2010, 06:04 PM
I play claw hammer and an early three finger style. Using a pick for Irish style sounds really good on a fretless/gut string.
I appreciate the info, I'll check out the pub in Gettysburg.
Todd Osborne