PDA

View Full Version : Help save Silent Sam of UNC.

Gary
10-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Rally, boys! Rally!

Rally to save Silent Sam, the statute depicting a young soldier who left the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to fight for the Confederacy. A few miscreants want Sam removed from the campus. Click on the link for more info on what you can do to save Silent Sam. http://www.savesilentsam.com/

Silent Sam was given his name as it's been observed that he isn't wearing a cartridge box and so has nothing to shoot. Heck, doesn't everyone know that spare cartridges were carried in pockets or haversacks?

reb64
10-05-2006, 11:45 PM
save this monument or suffer the shame. fight by god fight!

southern_belle1861
10-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Its the politically correct tree huggers down there.

sbl
10-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Its the politically correct tree huggers down there.

The site for Sam has an agenda..

southern_belle1861
10-16-2006, 07:40 PM

haha! Very funny! :D

sbl
10-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Dear Chessa,

My Father-In-Law took all of his kids, their spouses and grand kids to Disney World a few years back. One ride has "Song of the South" Charecters featured. He asked at the Disney stores if "Song of the South" was available which it isn't. He found copies for sale available from several internet sites which also happen to be racist. I saw Br'er Rabbit and an ad for SOTS on the site for "Sam".

BTW There are about 4-5 graves of Confederate veterans in my my area of Essex Country, Massachusetts that are well maked and cared for.

reb64
10-18-2006, 11:56 PM
Please put a battle flag out for hem every mem and veternas day.

toptimlrd
10-19-2006, 06:12 AM

Scott,

I went through the website, saw the link to SOTS, several Tarheel sports links, and a few links to the SCV and other Confederate related items, but I'm not so sure what agenda you are referring to. I always take such sites with a certain scepticism but other than the T-shirt they have at one link and one bumper sticker which could be construed as inappropriate, I did not see much out of the realm of satire and political commentary. By the way, SOTS is technically illegal to sell in the US due to copyright laws with Disney (they have not released it in a NTSC format which makes any copy that plays on our VCRs and DVDs illegal) but there are a number of places selling such copies from the Japanese and European releases. The way this web site is trying to get around the legal issue is you get the VHS or DVD free if you buy a poster of either Silent Sam or Uncle Remus brand Syrup (which I have not researched to see if it is a real brand from years past, but the artwork appears to be typical of the era). Did I miss something? BTW, I love SOTS and wish Disney would release it here. The Disney standard "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" is from this and was one of the earliest (and I would argue best) use of live action and animation.

Not trying to start any kind of argument here but I was a bit confused with your agenda comment. The only agenda I saw was Tarheel sports, SOTS, SCV, etc. all of which seem legit.

toptimlrd
10-19-2006, 06:26 AM
Dear Chessa,

My Father-In-Law took all of his kids, their spouses and grand kids to Disney World a few years back. One ride has "Song of the South" Charecters featured. He asked at the Disney stores if "Song of the South" was available which it isn't. He found copies for sale available from several internet sites which also happen to be racist. I saw Br'er Rabbit and an ad for SOTS on the site for "Sam".

BTW There are about 4-5 graves of Confederate veterans in my my area of Essex Country, Massachusetts that are well maked and cared for.

OK, I think I see where you are coming from. I believe you are referring to SOTS as racist which I must disagree with. The story is a post war story that revolves around Johnny whose father is taking heat for his political views in the post war south (this leads me to believe that he is more of an abolitionist, Northern sympathizer). Johnny and his mother is sent to live at his grandmothers where he meets Uncle Remus, a former slave who is known for his tall tales. This is based on the "Tales of Uncle Remus" which was a very popular book in previous years. To me SOTS is no more racist than GWTW but it seems one is considered appropriate while the other is not.

Once again, not trying to start an argument about two movies which have little to do with history (but are very enjoyable in their own rights) but it seems to me that trying to attach SOTS to racist intent (without other evidence) is a bit of a stretch. Thereis no doubt that I am sure that some racist groups have SOTS on their website, but that does not mean everyone who enjoys (or sells) SOTS is racist. To me this is almost like calling everyone who reenacts as a Confederate a neo-confederate and racist when the facts state otherwise. Just my $0.02 worth. Oh, and the ride is Spalsh Mountain.

Perhaps we should get this thread back to Silent Sam instead of trying to figure out what the "real agenda" is, which can lead to a very slippery slope.

tompritchett
10-19-2006, 09:33 AM
OK, I think I see where you are coming from. I believe you are referring to SOTS as racist which I must disagree with.

It is my understanding that it is the family heirs that will not let copies of the film be sold and not the PC establishment. As to their reasons, I can only speculate.

southern_belle1861
10-19-2006, 02:18 PM
sbl, I am sorry for haw that sounded. I hadn't seen the links on the website and I also had no idea what you put the attacment for. I'm new to reenacting and try to stay away from the whole racism thing, so I didn't know what the rabbit meant. I realize that that did sound very bad.

But I do know that UNC is VERY liberal, as I live close to there and drive through there a lot.

My deepest aplogies.

toptimlrd
10-20-2006, 02:29 PM
It is my understanding that it is the family heirs that will not let copies of the film be sold and not the PC establishment. As to their reasons, I can only speculate.

Tom,

I did not mean for my post to come across as yet another dig at PC (we see enough of those), I was simply trying to respond to what I saw as an attempt to paint the effort of the Saving of Silent Sam in a certain light that may or may not be accurate. Although there may be more nefarious agendas at work in the Silent Sam site than apparent, I thought it was a bit of a dangerous leap to assume this simply based on linking it to Song of the South. It is very possible I missed something when I looked at the site but I found it to be very politically incorrect but did not rise to the level of being accused of being anything other than politically incorrect. Since another poster referenced racism I responded to that assertion.

As to the movie, the movie was actually released overseas, they developed a ride based on the movie, and clips were used in some of Disney's "sing a long" videos which would indicate that it isn't a problem with the heirs. As a Disney Stock Holder and collector of Disney memoribilia, I have been unable to find any official Disney responses to the question as to why which leads (possibly erroneousy) to the assumption that it is not a legal issue per se, but a management decision (for whatever reasons). There is an effort by a Disney fan group (wish I could find the website) working on a petition to have the movie released bt I do not know where it is. As I mentioned, even as a Disney stockholder, it is often difficult to find out many of the reasons that management at the company does certain things. I suppose that with the fire they were under towards the end of Eisner's leadership they have become rather gun shy about said issues.

I usually try to stay out of these types of disussions as it is very easy to be taken out of context and misunderstood as people often have "knee-jerk" responses. I just want to make sure I state that although I did not see anything racist in the site, I could have missed something and in no way condone, support, or advace any cause with any type of racism at its core or in its cause. Bear in mind that many of my forefathers were of Native American and Irish descent who experienced racism as well so there is a bit of a nerve that is hit by people who continue to spew such nonsence.

Garrison Beall
10-24-2006, 04:24 PM
As was stated on another forum, the statue is safe from political objectives but not from the environment. The ''Save Sam'' folks would better serve the memorial by raising money for conservation or restoration.

UNC- CH liberal? No more than any other state supported college or university in the United States.