PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina Confederate Relic Room

Spinster
06-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Reposting this here because it needs to be. Not quite Battlefield Preservation, but close enough.

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/showthread.php?28551-Veto-52-Would-Eliminate-the-S.C.-Confederate-Relic-Room-and-Military-Museum&p=181289#post181289 (http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/showthread.php?28551-Veto-52-Would-Eliminate-the-S.C.-Confederate-Relic-Room-and-Military-Museum&p=181289#post181289)

(thanks Paul)
Veto #52 Would Eliminate the S.C. Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum

Veto #52 Would Eliminate the S.C. Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum

Yesterday Governor Sanford vetoed the Board’s entire $25.2 million General Fund appropriation for the Budget and Control Board for next year. This section of the budget includes the entire General Fund operating budget for the S.C. Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum. If this veto is not overridden, the museum will have to cease operations.
In his veto message to the General Assembly, the Governor stated that he was taking this action because the “Board has sufficient carry-forward and other funds to maintain its operations in this fiscal year.” This is not correct. There are not sufficient funds to make up the $25.2 General Fund cut to the Board, which includes $765,000 for the museum.
This veto represents the greatest threat the museum has faced in our 114 years of existence. If this veto is not overridden we will no longer be able to preserve South Carolina’s proud military legacy.

The General Fund pays for our entire operating costs such as staff salaries and utilities. We’ve already endured five budget cuts in recent years and operate frugally. Ticket and gift shop revenues are modest and will not sustain our operations. While we have just launched a new membership program, these efforts take many years to bear fruit. Almost every museum and cultural institution in the country relies on public funds to keep its doors open.
If this veto is sustained, we don’t know what would happen to our artifact and archival collection valued in the tens of millions of dollars. I do know it would be a grave concern to the thousands of families who entrusted their irreplaceable artifacts to the museum and the State of South Carolina.

It will require a two-thirds vote in both the House and the Senate to override the Governor’s veto. Please share this message with anyone you know who is interested in preserving our state’s rich heritage.
Fast facts about the museum:
· 1896 - Founded
· 2004 – Nationally accredited by the Association of American Museums
· 2006 - A national award for Write from the Front that collects photographs & emails from SC servicemen and women serving in the War on Terror.
· 2007 - Museum expanded, opening a large, second gallery and major exhibit, Forgotten Stories: South Carolina Fights the Great War
· 2008 - Awarded the South Carolina Council for the Social Studies’ Program of Excellence award.
· 2002 – 2009 Seven straight years of increasing attendance with April 2010 a record month! Attendance has doubled since 2004 and will grow again in 2010

W. Allen Roberson, Director
SC Confederate Relic Room & Military Museum
301 Gervais Street
Columbia, SC 29201b
www.crr.sc.gov (http://www.crr.sc.gov/)
arobers@crr.sc.gov (arobers@crr.sc.gov)
w: 803 737-8096
c: 803 315-4472
fax: 803 737-8099

Marc
06-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Unfortunately this situation will not be the only one throughout the country. Another problem is the preservation community be it Civil War or Historical properties only has so much money to give and those dollars are stretched also be it individuals or foundations.

I am sure a few places may have to close, but hopefully it is only temporary.

Greg Deese
07-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks Mrs. Lawson for posting this over here.

Greg Deese

Spinster
07-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Mr. Deese,

I know this is still a political football--some hope, but nothing solid. Please update, especially if out of state letters are needed.

billwatson2
07-01-2010, 12:26 PM
I've never understood why entities that get literal physical support from the appreciative public are among the first to get the ax, rather than bureaucratic make-work agencies nobody wants anyway.

I'm thinking of the money raised to help preserve and restore some of the artifacts down there, including some of the flags. It's a crying shame.

The folks at the Relic Room are just great to work with. When my wife set about making a replica of the Sixth South Carolina flag, they provided specs, information, and even a stepladder so she could get up close to the flag for a photo (at the time it was high up on the wall).

Greg Deese
07-01-2010, 03:32 PM
From everything I am hearing, the funding was approved until 2011. It's hard to get the media involved. This state has the second highest unemployment rate in the country, and severe financial problems. So it will take a real grass roots movement to keep it going.

The other problem with the museum I have observed is that it's hidden behind the SC State museum, a museum behind a museum. I have done LH programs there and watched people who were looking for the SCCRR go right into the State Museum. You have to walk down the hall another 50 yards to get to it. If the museum had it's own building near the capitol, it would fare better.* The folks at the Relic Room do the best job they can and they have increased their attendance. I have the highest praise for them.

We used to do an annual LH there around May or November and that always drew a good crowd. Letters to the Editor, and the "State" could help if they get published.

G. Deese

* not that I am the great inspector of museums or an expert on preservation; unlike the self proclaimed experts on other forums.