PDA

View Full Version : edging on collar

Joanna
10-02-2006, 12:02 PM
I have inherited a number of antique hankerchiefs, some in very poor condition (tears, stains, etc.) One has a very fine crocheted edging on it that seems to be in good condition. I know whitework was used on collars, but would an edging like this (<1/8 in wide) be appropriate as well? I would love to give it a second life. Thanks, Joanna Jones

RebeccaMI
10-02-2006, 12:34 PM
I wonder if you could carefully take the edging off and put it on a new hankie. Or maybe you don't need any hankies.

Joanna
10-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks, Rebecca! I was thinking I would do that if I got a negative response about using that for a collar. There's something wrong, though, about sneezing onto an antique edging <g>. A collar seems much like more dignified use....;) Joanna

RebeccaMI
10-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Maybe use the nice antique ones for show and then keep a less fancy one around for utility.

ElizabethClark
10-03-2006, 10:08 AM
How delicate is the edging? Is it truly lace-weight--like sewing thread or finer? And, how is it attached?

Joanna
10-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Yes, it is very delicate and thread-like, and it is just whipped onto the edge. I know better than to ask if I can use something like the chunky edging JoAnn's sells - I don't care for wet-noodle beatings! You've taught me well! It is just a simple scallop. The hankerchief is from 1900 or earlier - belonged to my g-grandmother. it is just hard to tell from CDVs what is on the edges of collars - I know whitework was common; I was just wondering if this was an option as well (I can take "no" for an answer;) ) Thanks, Joanna Jones

ElizabethClark
10-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Hee hee.... Now, Joanna, I don't whack anyone TOO hard, do I? LOL

Here's my take on it: most of the fabric collars I've seen or seen engravings/illustrations of are all fabric, with embroidered trim; less common are fabric collars with edgings, but they do show up. The lace-weight threads would make it a good option there, but can you adequately secure the ends to prevent them raveling out? Lace collars, or collars with lace edgings on a netting ground, would be a good option for the lace-weight edging.

Or, make a new batiste square, add the vintage trim, and have a lovely restored piece of family history--I did that with a piece of tatting from my Great Great Gran, and it's just lovely. I use it at special family religious occasions. :)