View Full Version : Drum painting

05-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Hi I got a drum that is the kind from drum bum, and the striping on it is not period. Where can I get a stencil to put on the eagle and such?

05-26-2010, 10:58 PM
You probably have to make your own as most of the correctly made drums from the real drum makers have the artwork hand painted on as an extra step of construction, for a good bit more money I have found , find a decent artist and go that route as a sloppy or half- a----d job will ruin what you have, cant wipe off a bad paint job..... My two cents Paul Lopes p.s. If you find an artist, We have made a few regimental colors and have black and white eagles that can be copied then colored in correctly, I'll send you one if you need it. Good Luck! P.L.

06-01-2010, 05:13 PM
The big drum makers like Alexander Rogers, William Boucher, C. & F. Soistmann, Ernest Vogt, Horstmann Bros., etc. evidently used stencils. How else would it be possible for the eagles on all the Ernest Vogt drums to be identical? I have been told by drum collectors that the stencils were made of brass or some other sheet metal.

You should be able to find some high resolution images of original eagle drums at www.cowans.com www.jamesdjulia.com or www.ha.com if you search for civil war drum in past auctions

You can take a high resolution image and print and blow up to scale to make some stencils.

06-01-2010, 09:38 PM
I just went through this and this was my solution. I bought one of those yellow rimmed, Nutcracker style rope tension drums and stripped it down to the bare wood. I found the image I wanted to use and saved it to my hard drive. I used a simple paint program to color over the regimental ribbon and then added my own, high resolution text in it's place. I printed it up on a full sheet adhesive transparent label, put another clear sheet over it to protect it and then applied it to my drum. Using it as my guide, I then painted over it, using the small bottles of paint they sell for model making. I finished it off with a coat of varnish, added some decorative furniture tacks and a metal vent hole, changed the rope and was quite happy with the results. The other members of my unit were blown away by it. The pictures are still on my camera. I can download them if you'd like to see it.
Note: this is intended only as a frugal way to accomplish your objective. I spent a lot of time, but not that much money, in making it. It is clearly not 100% authentic but it serves pretty well. I did not know whether my 11 year old son would be serious in his attempt to learn to play it so I didn't want my investment to be overly expensive.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

07-26-2010, 01:34 PM
cool! yeah, if it wouldn't be to much trouble, i'd like to see that!