PDA

View Full Version : Location of Sutler

LadyReb
10-01-2006, 12:20 PM
I don't know where to post this question, so I will ask it here.
I will be traveling from Tulsa OK to Nashville TN, with stops at Parker's Crossroads, Franklin, Shiloh and Corinth. Are there any sutler stores in any of these areas? I am not in the market for tourist junk.

Thanks for any help.
Evelyn Rard

VaTrooper
10-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Are you looking for quality goods or mainstream gear?

Sgt_Pepper
10-01-2006, 01:44 PM
This is not all what Ms Rard intended, of course, but I see the reply from Mr. Shifflett as the potential beginning of another "us vs them" argument. Let me be clear: We're not going there. Please confine replies to answering the lady's question, thank you.

I am also moving this thread to the Civilian area.

ElizabethClark
10-01-2006, 02:07 PM
You're most likely looking for a merchant who carries citizen's things? (Sutlers sold non-issued goods to military men.)

I'm not aware of any citizen-specific stores along that route, but you might use mapquest or another on-line mapping service to search for independent quilt shops--some carry delightful repro print cottons that can be useful for clothing or quilts.

VaTrooper
10-01-2006, 02:17 PM
I didnt intend for my question to be taken like that. I know Dave Jarnigan has his shop in Cornith.

Sgt_Pepper
10-01-2006, 02:42 PM
That's why I said "potential", Mr. Shifflett, to avoid accusing you.

Parenthetically, as my making comments seems to only engender further off-topic discussion, I shall return to keeping them to a minimum.

LadyReb
10-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded. I am actually looking for civilian and military since my husband needs a few things. I will look for Jarnigan's. Thank you Mr. Shifflett. Elizabeth, thanks for the idea for Mapquest. And the reason I used the term Sutler is because the forum name has Sutler in it.

Sgt Pepper, I apologize. I did not intend to start anything.

VaTrooper
10-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Heres a link to Jarnigans site and address:

http://www.jarnaginco.com/retailframe.html

Spinster
10-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Mainstream, with some better goods, The Blockade Runner is south and east of Nashville, slightly out of your path, but with a large store and an extensive women's section. See the site for map links.

http://www.blockaderunner.com/

LadyReb
10-02-2006, 08:48 AM
Thanks. I will definitely visti their store.

LadyReb
10-02-2006, 08:49 AM
That would only be about an hour out of my way. I have ordered from them in the past and received some good merchandise. Thanks.

cjdaley
10-02-2006, 09:12 AM
While not really a sutler, I suggest stopping at the Cotton Patch Restaurant in Parker's Crossroads. The eatery is right next to the battlefield and the restaurant is decorated with reenacting memorabilia. Reenactor photos, uniforms and weaponry adorne the walls. They also have a few relics on display.

I stopped there last year on my way to Corinth and it was one of the highlights of my trip. Good food, great people and really inexpensive.