PDA

View Full Version : New disease

Trooper Graham
09-27-2006, 07:18 PM
According to the news tonight a new desease is costing 15 billion a year to treat. The symptoms are two fold and affecting the Baby-Boomer generation. They have named the desease Boomeritis and it's when the body is 55-60 years old but the mind still thinks it's 30-35 years old resulting in all kinds of bone and mucsle problems. Just what I need, another desease. Anyone else besides Tom :p and meself?

tompritchett
09-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Just what I need, another desease.

My problems are not new diseases but rather my body remembering all the insults it has taken over the years - even the ones that once it had supposedly healed from. My biggest regret, not thinking that I should be wearing sunglasses all the time that I was playing in the sun during the summers of my youth.

Trooper Graham
09-27-2006, 09:16 PM
How did a quote from another forum thread get quoted here?:confused:

tompritchett
09-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Whoops, I had forgotten to replace the text on the clipboard with the desired quote and did not pay attention when I pasted. It has been fixed. Sorry.

JBW
09-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Whoops, I had forgotten to replace the text on the clipboard with the desired quote and did not pay attention when I pasted. It has been fixed. Sorry.

CRS??? ;)

bill watson
09-28-2006, 07:30 PM
"Hi, my name is Bill and I'm a boomer."

Yes, I have boomeritis. I had an intervention with myself this summer while convalescing from a total immune system collapse brought on by ignoring severe damage to my knees during the Shenandoah 62 event in June, wearing out the immune system so it couldn't handle a simple stomach virus in August. I have resolved to take better care of myself, not let the mind over matter thing get out of control any more, and go to the doctor for steroids when my chronic knee condition flares up.

Like an alcoholic, I had to hit rock bottom before "I am not 35 any more" became more than a joke. And there's an interesting historic antecedent: My great great grandfather, the one who survived Andersonville, died when he was 57. I'm 57. It resonated just a little too much this summer when I was so down and out for three days I couldn't even read a book, took seven more days before I could go to work, and worked at half speed for a week beyond that. I've never been so sick I actually needed a long convalescence like this.

The other good news, aside from me coming to grips with my diminished physical capacity, is that the steroids they filled me bung full of to fix the incredible virulent rash, hives and swelling that accompanied this collapse also fixed the pain in my cartilage-deprived knees. I can walk without pain for the first time in a year. I'm gonna try to keep it that way. :-)

But yeah, that boomer thing can get you, really. We were brought up to believe we could do anything we set our mind to do, by parents who had done just that in World War II. Interesting cultural phenomenon.

Trooper Graham
09-28-2006, 07:47 PM
"Hi, my name is Bill and I'm a boomer."

Yes, I have boomeritis. I had an intervention with myself this summer while convalescing from a total immune system collapse brought on by ignoring severe damage to my knees during the Shenandoah 62 event in June, wearing out the immune system so it couldn't handle a simple stomach virus in August. I have resolved to take better care of myself, not let the mind over matter thing get out of control any more, and go to the doctor for steroids when my chronic knee condition flares up.

Like an alcoholic, I had to hit rock bottom before "I am not 35 any more" became more than a joke. And there's an interesting historic antecedent: My great great grandfather, the one who survived Andersonville, died when he was 57. I'm 57. It resonated just a little too much this summer when I was so down and out for three days I couldn't even read a book, took seven more days before I could go to work, and worked at half speed for a week beyond that. I've never been so sick I actually needed a long convalescence like this.

The other good news, aside from me coming to grips with my diminished physical capacity, is that the steroids they filled me bung full of to fix the incredible virulent rash, hives and swelling that accompanied this collapse also fixed the pain in my cartilage-deprived knees. I can walk without pain for the first time in a year. I'm gonna try to keep it that way. :-)

But yeah, that boomer thing can get you, really. We were brought up to believe we could do anything we set our mind to do, by parents who had done just that in World War II. Interesting cultural phenomenon.

ALLL RIGHT!!!!!! just what I hoped for. AA has their meetings so why not a BB meeting?
Now some of you may wonder what this has in common with reenacting. It's like baseball when you played as a kid. Like Bill said, BB's were taught there is no end and live till you drop but it comes with alot of discomfort. Reenacting is a physical hobby and like Bill so many just can't give up what they love to do regardless.
My problem Bill, is the old "take two aspirin and drive on sargeant syndrome". Aspirins just aren't enough anymore and it's depressing sometimes. So for me it's a decision to either save my bones, muscles and energy for the hobby or save it for the ladies...;) But I have found Bill that the best cure is just make jokes and laugh about it. I know it sounds more like a coverup but it works...some of the time.

MStuart
09-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Hi Bill!!

I've got it, too. Lot's of us have the bum knee's for some reason. I'm also a victim of my own stupidity in my younger days for staying out in the sun too long 1/2 naked. 11 surgeries (of varying degrees) later, I'll be the first to tell you that 'ol Sol ain't the benevolent sunshine machine he's s'posed to be. Ya gotta love those long sleeves and hats we wear!!

Mark

toptimlrd
09-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Ok, what about those of us under the age limit that still have similar issues, will there be a junior league for us. FYI, 38 years of age, bum knee, suspected arthritis setting up in one hip, and a back that complains regularly. I still reenact, hike, backpack, exercise, etc. but it sometimes takes a bit of self motivation to get all the parts working together. :-)

By the way to the person who asked what CRS was, "Can't Remember Stuff" (the third term is easily replaceable but this is a family forum. :-)

MStuart
09-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Robert:

No junior league.......this is like AARP, we have an age limit. Once you hit the big 4-0, you're in!! And, I was the guy asking about CRS.......I think!?

Mark

Trooper Graham
09-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Ok, what about those of us under the age limit that still have similar issues, will there be a junior league for us. FYI, 38 years of age, bum knee, suspected arthritis setting up in one hip, and a back that complains regularly. I still reenact, hike, backpack, exercise, etc. but it sometimes takes a bit of self motivation to get all the parts working together. :-)

By the way to the person who asked what CRS was, "Can't Remember Stuff" (the third term is easily replaceable but this is a family forum. :-)

Sorry Robert. At your age you suffer from PO. It's what the Bobby-Boomers invented and created for your generation. It's called 'Preservative Overdose'. In your case when you reach the 50's your body will be preserved but your brain will be deep fat fried. :p :p

toptimlrd
09-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Sorry Robert. At your age you suffer from PO. It's what the Bobby-Boomers invented and created for your generation. It's called 'Preservative Overdose'. In your case when you reach the 50's your body will be preserved but your brain will be deep fat fried. :p :p

Ok but I will look good, right?? :-D

Does it matter that my parents aren't boomers but are the WWII generation? I was kind of a last minute thing and the baby of the family? Doesn't that somehow put me in the Boomer catagory?

MStuart
09-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Ok but I will look good huh?? :-D

"It's always better to look good, than to feel good" - Fernando

Mark

tompritchett
09-28-2006, 08:42 PM
My problem Bill, is the old "take two aspirin and drive on sargeant syndrome". Aspirins just aren't enough anymore and it's depressing sometimes.

Try Aleve. Aspirin stopped working for me years ago.

Trooper Graham
09-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Ok but I will look good, right?? :-D

Does it matter that my parents aren't boomers but are the WWII generation? I was kind of a last minute thing and the baby of the family? Doesn't that somehow put me in the Boomer catagory?

The BB generation is considered from 1946 to 1952. That's when matresses were worn out on a weekly basis. After that it was only flashbacks occuring from time to time. So maybe you could be a BBFB. :p :p

tompritchett
09-28-2006, 08:43 PM
CRS???

Probably. I am been suffering from it for ?????? Now I can't remember for how long.

Trooper Graham
09-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Try Aleve. Aspirin stopped working for me years ago.

Sorry Tom, they don't work either. I'm waiting for this new pain killer due to be released soon. It's called Morphina. ;)

MDRebCAv
09-29-2006, 09:51 AM
Well, I am 55 but my mind does not think the body is 30-35....it still thinks I am 25!

Trooper Graham
09-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Well, I am 55 but my mind does not think the body is 30-35....it still thinks I am 25!

Body 55 and the mind 25!!!!!!!!! You got it real bad. A stage three serious case. I don't think there is any hope for you. ;)