PDA

View Full Version : Flyboys.......

HighPrvt
09-23-2006, 09:25 AM
Went to the mall last nite to get a birthday present for my sons friend, while there I noticed a movie called flyboys, about WW-I avaition. We watched it, and I have to say it was rather good. A couple of things bugged me, the biggest being that all the Germans were flying DR-1s. There was one short scene that was awesome to see, it was a brief shot of German infantry, with tanks moving down a road. Had the typical Flyboy, and hot French chick love theme interupting the action though.Good dog fighting scenes, I'll give it a 7 out of 10. it would have been better with some D-VII, and Albatross fighters, with only a couple of tri-deckers.

sbl
09-24-2006, 08:12 AM
I plan to see the movie. The trailer looked like EVERYTHING is CGI. Of local interest, Norman Prince from Hamilton, Mass was in the Lafayette Escadrille.

http://www.earlyaviators.com/eprinorm.htm

I got the feeling from the reviews that Flyboys in a "Once upon a time.." in a mythical WWI story.

HighPrvt
09-24-2006, 08:19 AM
Yeah CGI, but some of it looked real good. It did have a few "cartoonish" moments. While I have my issues with CGI, without it how on earth are you going to see a squadron of WW-1 fighters take on a Zeppelin.......

sbl
09-24-2006, 12:28 PM
"...WW-1 fighters take on a Zeppelin......."

Neat!

HighPrvt
09-24-2006, 04:38 PM
yeah, bombers too!!!!!

Trooper Graham
09-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Yeah CGI, but some of it looked real good. It did have a few "cartoonish" moments. While I have my issues with CGI, without it how on earth are you going to see a squadron of WW-1 fighters take on a Zeppelin.......

A british pilot was awarded the Victoria Cross for shooting down a Zep by himself over London. His VC was auctioned off a few years back. Can't remember for how much but I think it was in the 40 thousand pound sterling range.

Trooper Graham
09-24-2006, 04:49 PM
I've not seen the movie but from the trailers the film looks like a repeat of Pearl Harbor...alot of computer generated action scenes.

HighPrvt
09-24-2006, 06:14 PM
Yeah, that's what I don't get. They can do several allied fighters, allied, and Hun bombers, and a Zeppelin. So why are all the Huns flying DR-1s ??
Most of them were red. I'll admit that my knowledge on the subject is somewhat limited, but I've only heard of one dude flyin' a red DR-1!!!
Manfred Von Richtofen. The numba one bad guy was flying a black DR-1, it's sharp lookin'.
The movie was better than Pearl Harbor.

Provost
09-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Folks,

This has nothing to do with our time period. Sorry but those are the rules.

Provost