PDA

View Full Version : Peach Can Boiler

rebel yell
09-22-2006, 06:45 PM
I bought a peach can boiler from the Village Tinsmith, my dipper is suspended from the strap on my haversack because there isn't room inside. I use a mule collar instead of a knapsack, I had thought about tieing the boiler with the leather thong that closes the bed roll and letting it hang. My question is, where would a soldier carry a peach can boiler? 8-)

ewtaylor
09-22-2006, 07:59 PM
I bought a peach can boiler from the Village Tinsmith, my dipper is suspended from the strap on my haversack because there isn't room inside. I use a mule collar instead of a knapsack, I had thought about tieing the boiler with the leather thong that closes the bed roll and letting it hang. My question is, where would a soldier carry a peach can boiler? 8-)

I carried my can on my haversack. You should carry it where it isnt in the way.
ew taylor

rebel yell
09-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks, I tried tieing it to the back strap on the haversack, It's out of the way there.

tenfed1861
09-22-2006, 11:34 PM
When I carry a mulecollar for CS,I carry mine on the blanekt strap.Out of the way,but easy to get to.Before you loop the extra leather under the strap,loop your cup through it.Out of the way,no banging on your side,but you can get to it easily.
Cullen

csuppelsa
09-23-2006, 05:09 AM
You can strap the center strap of your federal knapsack around the body of the can. this way, the can will not bang around.

Chris Suppelsa

Doug Cooper
09-23-2006, 07:10 AM
Assuming your haversack is carrying food, simply fill the boiler with it, or various bags filled with food, and store it all inside the haversack. Out of the way, does not bang around and is quiet, etc.

AZReenactor
09-23-2006, 09:57 AM

You ask that like there is only one way a soldier would carry a tin can. If you are wearing the same gear in the same circumstances as the men we portray you can probably come up with a practicle and authentic manner of carrying around a tin can with you just by experimenting a little. You'll find that different ways work better in different situations.

Now a question I am curious about, how is the Village Tinsmith can constructed? Does it have a flat bottom like a tin cup or a lipped bottom like a moddern soup or paint can? How is the side seam made? I haven't seen their tin can and am curious how it is made.

rebel yell
09-23-2006, 03:49 PM
a question I am curious about, how is the Village Tinsmith can constructed? Does it have a flat bottom like a tin cup or a lipped bottom like a moddern soup or paint can? How is the side seam made? I haven't seen their tin can and am curious how it is made.

It has a flat bottom like a tin cup, the side is smooth with no modern corrigated ripples, the side seam is soldered together. A copper bail handle, with a label saying Soldier's Joy-PEACHES-1862 26 oz size.
Rebel Yell :cool:

Mint Julep
09-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Troy,

There is a picture on their website.

http://www.csa-dixie.com/villagetinsmith/a.html

MJ

AZReenactor
09-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Thank you for the description. I couldn't see the bottom or the side seam from the photos. Sounds like it is made like an authentic tin can from the era. Nice. My favorite cooking utensil is an old tin can. They can also be made into a handy little reflective candle lantern if you find need of one.

Another source for period tin cans is Victor Tin Works (http://www.victortradingco.com/tincan.htm). They come as a whole, sealed (but empty) tin can and are available in several sizes. Note that many of the labels on their cans appear to be post Civil War.