PDA

View Full Version : college paper

Crusader16
03-19-2010, 04:30 PM
hey guys

I am writing a college paper on field music(fife and drums) and was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of any books with good information on the subject?

thanks
mike bealefeld

Jari
03-21-2010, 07:45 AM
hey guys

I am writing a college paper on field music(fife and drums) and was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of any books with good information on the subject?

thanks
mike bealefeld

Good Luck!!

USAMHI Music - Bands
RefBranch
dv Dec 87, Jan 95

The American Veteran Fifer. Williamsburg, VA: "Drummer's Assistant." n.d.; orig pub 1905.
80 p. UZ301A5.

Ashworth, Charles S. A New Useful and Complete System of Drum Beating. Rev by
George P. Carroll. n.p.: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, 1966; orig pub 1812.
45 p. UZ301A8.

Benton, Elizabeth G. "Music and Military Went Together." Periodical 15 (Jan 1989): pp. 30-35. Per.
19th Cent mil bands.

Caba, G. Craig. United States Military Drums, 1845-65: A Pictorial Survey. Harrisburg, PA: Civil War Antiquities, 1977. 147 p. UZ304C2.

Camus, Raoul F. "The Military Band in the United States Army Prior to 1834." PhD dss, NYU,
1969. 535 p. Microfilm D-C19.

_____. Military Music of the American Revolution. Chapel Hill, NC: U NC, 1976. 218 p. ML1311C35.

Carroll, George, comp. The Carroll Collection of Ancient Martial Musick. Vol 1. n.p., 1969.
55 p. M1270C3.

Crook, George. Letter to Jefferson C. Davis, 3 May 1872, Prescott, AZ, concerning increasing the size and quality of the 23d Inf Band, so that it would compare favorable with the "magnificant band of the 5th Cavalry." Crook suggested recruiting German immigrant musicians at
Castle Garden, the immigrant depot and concert hall, Manhattan. 3 p. Arch.

Elting, John R. Swords Around a Throne: Napoleon's Grande Armee. NY: Macmillan, 1988.
769 p. DC202.1E48.
See Chap XVII.

Fletcher, Marvin E. "The Negro Soldier and the United States Army, v1891-1917." PhD dss,
U of WS, 1968. pp. 51-56. E185.63F54.

Haythornthwaite, Philip, et al. "British Infantry Musicians in the 18th Century." Mil Illus
(Feb 1993): pp. 30-34. Per.

, & Embleton, Gerry. "British Infantry Musicians in the 18th Century." Mil Illus
(Mar 1993): pp. 30-33. Per.

Howe, Warren P. "An Original Bandsman: The Story of Silas Robinson." Mil Coll & Hist 39
(Spg 1987): pp. 21-26. Per.
Musician in USMA band, 1813-26.

"Music Boys of the Old Army: A Brief History of Their Training and Duties." Recruiting News 17 (1 Apr 1935): pp. 5-6. Per.

Nelson, Larry L. "Two Military Bands of Music on the Northwest Frontier During the War of 1812." Mil Coll & Hist 36 (Sum 1984): pp. 67-69. Per.

Railsback, Thomas C. "Military Bands and Music at Old Fort Hays, 1867-89." Jrnl of West 22
(Jul 1983): pp. 28-35. Per.

, & Langellier, John P. The Drums Would Roll: A Pictorial History of US Army Bands on the American Frontier, 1866-1900. Poole, Eng: Arms & Armour, 1987. 63 p. UZ300R34.

Simmons, David. "The Band of Music in the American Army of 1797." Mil Collect & Hist 37
(Fall 1985): pp. 135-36. Per.

Todd, Frederick P. American Military Equipage, 1851-72. Vol II. Providence, RI: Company of Mil Hists, 1977. UC483T64.
See Chap VI.

White, William C. "'Music Boys of the Old Army:' A Brief History of Their Training and Duties." Recruiting News 17 (1 Apr 1935): pp. 5-6. Per.

CIVIL WAR

Blum, Fred. "Music During the Civil War: A Preliminary Study." CW Hist 4 (Sep 1958):
pp. 325-37. Per.

Brice, Marshall M. The Stonewall Brigade Band. Verona, VA: McClure, 1967. E581.4B75.

Bruce, George B., & Emmett, Dan D. The Drummer's and Fifer's Guide.... Williamsburg, VA: "Drummer's Assistant," n.d. orig pub 1862. 96 p. UZ301B7.

Ferguson, Benny P., II. "The Bands of the Confederacy: An Examination of the Musical and Military Contributions of the Bands and Musicians of the Confederate States of America." PhD dss, No TX State U, 1987. 513 p. E647F47.

"Field Musicians." Mil Images 16 (NovDec 94): pp. 28-30. Per.
Depictions of a CW Michigan band & indivs, incl instruments.

Gardstrom, Dwight A. "A History of the Fourth Regimental Band and Musicians of the Fourth Minnesota Infantry Volunteers during the War of the Great Rebellion, 1861-65." PhD dss,
U of Minn, 1989. 429 p. E515.5.4th.G37.

Garofalo, Robert J., & Elrod, Mark. A Pictorial History of Civil War Era Musical Instruments & Military Bands. Charleston, WV: Pictorial Histories Pub, 1985. 116 p. E647G37.

Lord, Francis A., & Wise, Arthur. Bands and Drummer Boys of the Civil War. n.p., 1966. E647L6.

Martinson, Richard K. "They March to Different Drummers: The 1st Brigade Band." Army 25
(Jun 1975): pp. 19-21. Per.
Wisconsin reenactment band.

Patrick, Stewart G. "A History of the Regimental Bands of Minnesota During the Civil War."
PhD dss, U of ND, Grand Forks, 1972. Microfilm D-P35.

Bibliography of books on Civil War Music (Bands mostly)

Battisti, Frank L. “American Diary.” Winds (Autumn 1999): 6.

Bernard, Kenneth A. Lincoln and the Music of the Civil War. Coldwell, ID: Caxton Printers, 1966.

Billings, John D. Hardtack and Coffee or The Unwritten Story of Army Life. Boston: George Smith and Co., 1887. Reprinted by Nebraska Press, 1993.

Brice, Marshall M. The Stonewall Brigade Band. Verona, VA: McClure Printing, 1967.

Bruce, George B. and Emmett, Daniel D. The Drummer's and Fifer's Guide: A Self-Instructor. New York: Wm. A. Pond, 1865.

Bryant, Carolyn. And the Band Played On: 1776-1976. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1975.

Downey, Fairfax. Fyfe, Drum and Bugle. Ft. Collins, Co.: The Old Army Press, 1971.

Fennell, Frederick. “The History of American Bands.” The Instrumentalist (October 2000): 66-68.

Felts, Jack "Some Aspects of the Rise and Development of the Wind Band during the Civil War," Journal of Band Research III/2 (Spring 1967)

Goldman, Richard Franko. The Wind Band: Its Literature and Technique. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, Inc., 1961.

Garofalo, Robert and Elrod, Mark. A Pictorial History of Civil War Era Musical Instruments and Military Bands. Charleston, WV: Pictorial Histories Publishing, 1985.

Hall, Harry H. A Johnny Reb Band from Salem: The Pride of Tarheelia. Raleigh, NC: The North Carolina Confederate Centennial Commission, 1963.

Hill, Lois ed. Poems and songs of the Civil War. New York: The Fairfax Press 1990.

Hazen, Margaret Hindle and Hazen, Robert M. The Music Men: An Illustrated History of Brass Bands in America, 1800-1920. Washington D.C., London: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1987.

Lord, Francis A. and Wise, Arthur. Bands and Drummer Boys of the Civil War. South Brunswick, NJ: A. S. Barnes, 1966.

Olson, Kenneth E. Music and Musket, Bands and Bandsmen of the American Civil War. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1981.

Rauscher, Frank Music on the March 1862-'65 with the Army of the Potomac (Philadelphia: Press of William F. Fell, 1892.

Smith, Brian. Bandstands to Battlefields. (With an introduction by Jari Villanueva). Gansevoort, NY: Corner House Historical Publications, 2004.

Schwartz, H. W. Bands of America. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1957.

White, William C. A History of Military Music in America. New York: Exposition Press, 1944. Reprinted by Greenwood Press, Westport, Conn., 1975.

Whitwell, David. A Concise History of the Wind Band. Northridge, CA: Winds, 1985.

There are some new books coming out on music of the Civil War and I venture to guess we'll see much during the next 5 years. Some will be good (I know of one 4 years in research) and some will be bad.....

We should have a section just to review new books and CDs

Jari

Crusader16
03-21-2010, 10:07 AM
thank you for all the help, they will all be very helpful

FloridaHoosier
03-21-2010, 10:36 AM
"We should have a section just to review new books and CDs" -Jari Villanueva

Thats one of my goals to have on here shortly, done with a small group of research based living history folks...

Jari
03-21-2010, 02:31 PM
"We should have a section just to review new books and CDs" -Jari Villanueva

Thats one of my goals to have on here shortly, done with a small group of research based living history folks...

Ross

Great idea!

Jari

33rdaladrummer
03-24-2010, 09:45 AM
The authors of these books served as drummers/fifers during the war:

A Little Fifer's War Diary by Charles Bardeen

Drum Taps in Dixie by Delavan Miller

A Drum's Story and Other Tales by Delavan Miller

Ten Years in the Ranks by Augustus Meyers (pre-war)

The story of our regiment: a history of the 148th Pennsylvania by Joseph Wendel Muffly

RWelker
03-24-2010, 04:13 PM
The authors of these books served as drummers/fifers during the war:

A Little Fifer's War Diary by Charles Bardeen

Drum Taps in Dixie by Delavan Miller

A Drum's Story and Other Tales by Delavan Miller

Ten Years in the Ranks by Augustus Meyers (pre-war)

The story of our regiment: a history of the 148th Pennsylvania by Joseph Wendel Muffly

I've read 'A Little Fifer's War Diary' and 'Drum Taps in Dixie' and would absolutely recommend them- Charles Bardeen in particular is a really entertaining read. (His sense of humor shows pretty clearly in his writing.)
It's worth noting, though, that they are about the experiences of the authors and not actually about music in the field. That's mentioned, of course, but not really analyzed like I would imagine you want for a paper. They might be good background to your analyses, though, kind of put them in context?

I'm having a lot of luck with the databases my school subscribes to (I'm writing a paper on reenacting)- do you have access to any of those? Then a keyword search should turn up some more general information on the music, as opposed to a personal narrative. (If I've misunderstood and you're looking for a personal narrative, I can definitely add to the above list, just let me know!)

What class are you taking that you get to write about this?

Crusader16
03-24-2010, 07:11 PM
I was able to get 'A Little Fifer's War Diary' through the school libary and a couple of the other ones. And yea the school databases where awesome. Its actualy for an Arts music class, we had to pick a group of musicians who perform out of the ordinary music. lol so i immeditaly had to pick fife and drum corps my professor said it was fine so its all good. What i needed was some back ground information on the historical fife and drums and then to interview the actual performers. thanks again for all the help guys

RWelker
03-24-2010, 07:25 PM
I was able to get 'A Little Fifer's War Diary' through the school libary and a couple of the other ones. And yea the school databases where awesome. Its actualy for an Arts music class, we had to pick a group of musicians who perform out of the ordinary music. lol so i immeditaly had to pick fife and drum corps my professor said it was fine so its all good. What i needed was some back ground information on the historical fife and drums and then to interview the actual performers. thanks again for all the help guys

That sounds like so much fun! (I'm definitely stalling on my Civil War paper right now :rolleyes:) If you're looking for more stories of specific musicians, check out Dennis Keesee's book 'Too Young To Die'. It's about underage soldiers in general, but of course lots of them were enlisted as musicians. If you get ahold of the book, look in the index for Myron Walker, Orion Howe, Julian Scott, Gustav Schurmann and John Cooke, although really opening to any page would give you the story of somebody interesting.
Also, maybe the diary of Ransom Powell ("Little Red Cap") who was in Andersonville.

You're writing on one of my favorite groups- have fun with that paper. :)

33rdaladrummer
03-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Here's part of Ten Years in the Ranks:

http://www.nationalcivilwarbrassmusic.org/TenYearsInTheRanks.html

And Miller's books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=g7MTAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=a+drum's+story+and+other+tales&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=BXp1zjGd6FAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=drum+taps+in+dixie&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Bardeen's:

http://books.google.com/books?id=16yCAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=fifer's+war+diary&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

And the 148th Penn. book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=nqBYAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=The+story+of+our+regiment:+a+history+of+the+148 th+Pennsylvania+by+Joseph+Wendel+Muffly&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false