PDA

View Full Version : introducing myself

RebeccaMI
09-19-2006, 01:53 PM
This is my first post in these forums so I thought I'd say hello so everybody knows who I am. My name is Rebecca and I live in southwest Michigan. When my brother and I were kids our parents would take us to Greenfield Village (in Detroit area) for the Revolutionary War reenactment they had there every year. We loved it, especially the battles of course. Last summer my friends Rose and Lisa got me into Civil War reenacting. Since they got me into it I've been involved with the 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry as a civilian reenactor. My boyfriend Devin is the 1st Sergeant of that company. Here's some pictures of us. Sorry if they are big.

Lisa, me, Rose:
http://myworld.sterlingdesigns.net/images/me/DSC02161_sm.JPG

yes, I know smiling is not period-correct:
http://myworld.sterlingdesigns.net/images/me/DSC08400_sm.JPG

I can't believe it took me a year before I found this site! But now that I have I'll probably post lots of questions...

CandaceRose
09-19-2006, 05:25 PM
I had a couple of CDVs of women smiling in their pictures. However, the file sizes are too large to upload..boohoo

Welcome to the list!!

Frenchie
09-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Welcome from me, too, Rebecca. I'm always delighted to see young people entering the hobby. We need you and your friends to carry the torch.

Please pass along something to your friend Devin: Sergeants are expected to set the example for the men, and in the words of an old Regular: polish that brass! :D

willeichler
09-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Rebecca,

Welcome. This will be a great place to ask questions. Good luck in your searches.

Best wishes,

Will

CandaceRose
09-20-2006, 05:42 AM
Smilin' Gal....

cookiemom
09-20-2006, 06:32 AM
Smilin' Gal....
Any idea who your smiling lady is? Or where the photo was taken? She looks awfully much like one of my grandmothers...

Trooper Graham
09-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Smilin' Gal....

She looks alot like my first wife.....

cookiemom
09-20-2006, 11:22 AM
She looks alot like my first wife.....
Sam, you're not going to try to convince me that you're old enough to be my grandfather, are you? It won't work -- I've seen your homepage (and now I want to go to Glendalough, but that's beside the point... ) Big brother, maybe...

Welcome, Rebecca! You can see that we're an affable bunch, and (what?) odd but harmless(??) and seriously prone to go off on tangents...

Collective ADHD, anyone???

CandaceRose
09-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Carole, there are no markings on the photo so she is a mystery gal for now. I just liked the fact she was smiling.

Sam..she may be your first wife if you are as old as you keep claiming to be! :-)

Trooper Graham
09-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Sam, you're not going to try to convince me that you're old enough to be my grandfather, are you?

WHAT!!!!!!!!!! I'll have you know when I first joined the ranks way back when our 1SGT was a private at the 1st Battle of Bull Run. We all called him Bull because he could still Run like h_ _l. (where satan is suppose to be)...........:lol: Anyway, that homepage belongs to my GG grandson...a true and Gallant Graham, a real chip of the old block.

Slainte mhor agad

Trooper Graham
09-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Sam..she may be your first wife if you are as old as you keep claiming to be! :-)

Darlin, I got proof................;)

cookiemom
09-20-2006, 07:13 PM
WHAT!!!!!!!!!! I'll have you know when I first joined the ranks way back when our 1SGT was a private at the 1st Battle of Bull Run. We all called him Bull because he could still Run like h_ _l. (where satan is suppose to be)...........:lol: Anyway, that homepage belongs to my GG grandson...a true and Gallant Graham, a real chip of the old block.

Slainte mhor agad
A likely story...
Well, then, do you suppose Mr. Gallant would consent to [hey, wait a minute...shouldn't we be in the Whine Cellar? ;) See y'all there!]

Mojo1842
09-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Smilin' Gal....
Looks like she's up to something........

bizzilizzit
09-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Smilin' Gal....

I believe your Smilin' Gal is an actress or other public personality. The intimacy of the pose is a clue...
Elizabeth

MaidenoftheSouth
09-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi!
Welcome Rebecca! Don't mind everyone else. ;-) They just love to have fun. :-D

MaidenoftheSouth
09-21-2006, 08:25 PM
I agree with you, Elizabeth. She does have the pose of someone who has been in the public eye.

MStuart
09-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Looks like she's up to something........

I think she's a Yankee.....they're always up to somethin'

Mark

bizzilizzit
09-21-2006, 08:28 PM
I think she's a Yankee.....they're always up to somethin'

Mark

You know me SO well, Mark.
Elizabeth

RebeccaMI
09-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Welcome. This will be a great place to ask questions. Good luck in your searches.

LOL, I might have known I'd find you here!! How goes?

unionmed
09-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Hello,

Ladies if you ever get bored our unit can always use your help. The Jackson, MI event we always need help watering the Union troops before and after the battles. Our unit has lost members due to maternity leave and other factors so when it gets close to August 2007 send me an email. We attend other Michigan events as well.

Pat
8th Michigan Medical, Inc.
"Our Fly Is Always Open"

bizzilizzit
09-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Pat
8th Michigan Medical, Inc.
"Our Fly Is Always Open"

That's a GREAT signature, Pat! Is it posted on your tent?
Elizabeth

crowley_greene
09-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Welcome, Rebecca! You can see that we're an affable bunch, and (what?) odd but harmless(??) and seriously prone to go off on tangents...

Well Rebecca, as you can see, the living history community is always ready to swarm someone new who has interest, coming out of the woodwork from all directions. Gee it's almost like a cult? :D

In my own experience, I remember going to my very first "event", a small "funnel cake" occasion, just to watch. When the fellows there spotted a glimmer of interest from my studying a 10-pound Parrott Rifle that was there and asking lots of questions about it, here they came to loan me bits and pieces of extra gear (including a spare Enfield) to "set the hook." That was in 1999.

We hope this will be a passion for life for you.

Murray Therrell

unionmed
09-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks Elizabeth. We have unit T-shirts with a wall tent with the front of the tent open with that logo underneath. Yes, it has gotten a few chuckles but its what we are about, medical care for anyone.

Pat
8th Michigan Medical

RebeccaMI
10-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Ladies if you ever get bored our unit can always use your help. The Jackson, MI event we always need help watering the Union troops before and after the battles. Our unit has lost members due to maternity leave and other factors so when it gets close to August 2007 send me an email. We attend other Michigan events as well.

Well that'll give me something to do at Jackson if I don't figure out anything else by then.

Is the 8th going to be at Bowen's in two weekends? The 1st is going to be there...

unionmed
10-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Hi Rebecca,

No we won't be going to Bowens, with Perryville the week ahead it will be recuperation time.

I will email you next season re: Jackson. We also go to the Holly, MI event, Crossroads Village Flint, MI, Huron City and River of Time in Bay City.

Pat
8th Michigan Medical

RebeccaMI
10-01-2006, 05:53 PM
I don't know if the 1st goes to any of those, but I wouldn't be opposed to going and I'm sure the BF wouldn't either. Or maybe the folks in the 1st would like to add some more events to the calendar. Do you have info on when those events usually happen (ballpark, if nothing else)?