PDA

View Full Version : Authentic Hairstyles...anyone have any tips?

MaidenoftheSouth
09-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Hello,

My family and I have been doing Civil War reenacting for just over a year, and have really enjoyed doing it. I have been making my sisters' dresses, from the start, and have made just about all of mine, except for one. Having recently borrowed five or six (I don't remember exactly how many at the moment) original Godeys and Petersons magazines, I have been researching hairstyles using the pictures in the books. But, there aren't any descriptions, nor are there always pictures of the backs of the hairstyles. If I can find somewhere that is great for researching authentic hairstlyes, I would like to set up a tent or something to do hair-dressing for the lady reenactors, BEFORE the public arrives. I have done several searches on the web, but haven't come up with anything really good.
So if anyone has any good sources, please let me know!

Thanks,

Joanna
09-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Try http://www.gothampatterns.com/hair.html You will find excellent help there. Joanna Jones

bizzilizzit
09-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Hello,

I have done several searches on the web, but haven't come up with anything really good.

Thanks,

Try searching Amazon.com for books on hairstyles - there are a few out there with instructions.
Elizabeth

catspjamas
09-17-2006, 08:45 AM
I would love to be able to have someone do my hair, especially before a dance. All I can manage is the classic bun, and I get tired of it. I had hair to my waist but it was so heavy, and the bun ended up so big, I couldn't wear bonnets. So I cut 16" off and donated it to locks of love. Now, it's short and the ends stick out of the bun and it comes loose. :sad: I'm going to let it grow back out, but probably not as long as before.

Cats

vmescher
09-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Hello,

If I can find somewhere that is great for researching authentic hairstlyes, I would like to set up a tent or something to do hair-dressing for the lady reenactors, BEFORE the public arrives. I have done several searches on the web, but haven't come up with anything really good.

Thanks,

Stacy Hampton, who has done a great deal of research on period hair styles, was on the fourm before it went down and now can't get back on so that she can post. She asked me to post this for her. If you want to contact her privately, her e-mail address is civusv@yahoo.com.

Callie,

Good Morning! If you are planning to take money for the "hairstyling tent" you want to set up at events, you will need to go and check with the Department of Health of your state or the state you are having your hairdressing tent set up in. Every state has a STRICT set of public health rules that dictate who can work on an individual's hair for money. Almost every state requires that you be a licensed cosmotologist to be able to work on people's hair for money. Cosmotologists go through all of the training required to dress hair and maintain a hairdressing establishment in sanitary conditions to comply with state laws. Cosmotogists also receive a license from the state's Department of Health allowing them to work in that state.

If someone were to get sick, injured or have vermin (lice, other bugs) after you did their hair at an event, you would be held liable under law. This is one of the reasons why I never set up a tent at events to do people's hair in exchange for money. My liability would have been too great; I am not a licensed cosmotologist, nor do I have a license (but my friend is and she advised me on what I need to do to maintain sanitary conditions when I give hair workshops); and I would have had to use modern sanitary techniques on all of my brushes, combs, pins, curlers, and hands in order to work on anyone elses' hair at events in an advertised location/tent/shop or for money.

If you want to just get together with a small group of your friends to work on each other's hair at an event in the morning or before a barn dance/ball, that's fine. But if you are going to put out flyers or advertise in any way that you are doing people's hair, even if it isn't for money, you run into a gray area where you could be fined, held liable for any injuries or damage to another person's hair/body, or taken to court for personal damages.

A friend and I toyed with the idea of opening up a hairdressing tent at events a few years back, but the liability, insurance, and the cost of sanitizing supplies/hair supplies far outweighed any small amount of money we would have made charging a reasonable price to do other women's/girls' hair.

If you are a licensed cosmotologist and have your own liability insurance through your own modern hairdressing practice, then I say GO FOR IT!!!! So many women in our hobby need help when it comes to doing their hair in a period style correctly. If you arent a licensed cosmotologist, you may just want to quietly work on the hair of women in your own unit or military organization back in camp.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards,

Stacy Hampton

Anna Allen
09-17-2006, 11:58 AM
I put directions for a few hairstyles on my website if you'd care to check it out. http://www.thegracefullady.com/ladiessociety/hair.htm

Anna Allen
http://www.thegracefullady.com

MaidenoftheSouth
09-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Thank you for all of your suggestions! They have really helped. I will check out all of the links to websites that you have told me. Thank you, Stacy, for your advice as well.

Thanks again!

Grits
09-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a ringlets hairpiece to use for balls and dances? My local Sutler can't get them anymore and she doesn't have any that match my hair color.

Thanks for the information and have a blessed day.

Beth
a.k.a Grits

bizzilizzit
09-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a ringlets hairpiece to use for balls and dances? My local Sutler can't get them anymore and she doesn't have any that match my hair color.

Thanks for the information and have a blessed day.

Beth
a.k.a Grits

Have you tried Abraham's Lady in Gburg?
Elizabeth