PDA

View Full Version : US and CS stamped messplates

DaveGink
09-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Greetings,

Were Civil War issued messplates actually stamped with a US or CS? Or is this a reenactorism?

Thanks!

ScottCross
09-12-2006, 01:49 PM
100% Reenactorism. No Documented examples exist. Don't trust Francis Lord (God rest his soul).

DaveGink
09-12-2006, 02:10 PM
100% Reenactorism. No Documented examples exist. Don't trust Francis Lord (God rest his soul).

Thanks Scott!! That's what I fugured. I'm surprised how many I've seen being sold with the stamps (or maybe I shouldn't be). ;)

Thanks again!
Dave

Bummer
09-12-2006, 03:16 PM
The post war issue tin cups were stamped 'US' on the handle. They are the same size and dimensions as the Civil War issue cup, but the handle is smaller and doesn't have the little wires through the rim. Otherwise they are identical.
Also, again post war, the knives and forks have 'US' on the side of the blade and the heel of the fork (underside of the eating part). These post war ones have solid metal handles but otherwise look like the typical CW period ones.

I mention these items because one can find them, and they are old original stuff, so they look right...but they are ten years or more after the war.

GrumpyDave
09-12-2006, 03:32 PM
The post war issue tin cups were stamped 'US' on the handle.

Not totally true. There were cups produced during the CW that had "US" stamped on the handle. Really. Really, really. Collections with documentation bear this out. I've been doing some research and well, have seen some. We can't lump everything into the it didn't happen category. Yes, there was at least one contractor that stamped his cups. Or, remember one of the Government inspection stamp at the time was "US". Government inspectors stamped leather, why not tin(canteens were inspected and stamped)?

Western Blue Belly
09-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Don't trust Francis Lord (God rest his soul).

I was just wondering why you say that. I just looked through volumes I and II and in both he makes no mention of the stamps in question. Has he in other volumes or works?

Ken Zimmer
17th Mo. Co. G
The Western Blues Mess

GrumpyDave
09-12-2006, 06:34 PM
When was Lord's written?

There's been a little more research done since those volumes were completed. Although a good place to start, they're no bible sorta' like the Echo's series. "We" still don't know a lot about what was issued in the CW. New stuff is turning up at estate sales and in attics all of the time. Did you know that contracts for goods issued by the Federal government were still being filled into 1867?

Find yourself a big CW show and go. Talk to vendors about things they've got on their tables. They're a wealth of knowledge and, I'll bet you'll see things you've never seen before and learn some things to boot.

ley74
09-12-2006, 08:07 PM
The North South Traders Civil War is a great little publication. You are exposed not only to the material culture of the war but the history was well. Artifacts are a wonderful area and you do not need to spend a disme (other than books and fuel) to enjoy them.

Another original idea is to spend some time in the collection section of a few museums. These folks are generally delighted to share what they keep in vaults, basements and other such nooks and cranneys. Usually all you have to do is ask. Curators know much.

Western Blue Belly
09-12-2006, 10:02 PM
When was Lord's written?

First copy right is 1963.