PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Civil War Monument Moved

Micah Trent
01-01-2010, 10:20 AM
32nd Indiana Inf. Momumnet moved for Preservation Purpose.

Historic Monument Moves To Frazier

Museum to offer artifact free of charge
Friday, January 1, 2010
LOUISVILLE, Ky-- The nation's oldest Civil War memorial, the Bloedner Monument, which had sat deteriorating in Cave Hill National Cemetery for more than 140 years, will soon be permanently moved to Louisville's Frazier International History Museum, to protect it. The change is expected sometime this year.

The federal Department of Veterans Affairs only recently made the move official. It's said to have been based on the fact the Frazier's close to the original Louisville location, as well as criteria including the museum's controlled, secure environment; financial stability, and strong growth in number of visitors. The facility also has a major Civil War exhibit in the planning stages for 2011, the 150th anniversary of the start of the conflict.

The monument commemorates the 13 soldiers of the 32nd Indiana Infantry who died in the Battle of Rowlett's Station near Munfordville. Most of the remains were eventually moved to Cave Hill in 1867, and the Bloedner Monument, carved by a fellow soldier, was moved there too.

The monument was removed from the cemetery last December and professionally preserved to stop further damage. A new monument with an interpretive sign will be placed at Cave Hill next year. The original will be on display in the Frazier lobby, so visitors won't have to pay museum admission to see it.

http://www.whas.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=283307&article=6529147

MajorK
01-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Micah,
Does this mean that you won't have to pay admission to the museum to view the monument? We talked a little about this at our last SUVCW meeting, but I was under the impression that this monument would be available for all to view at any time. I hope the VA knows what it is doing. It's a shame that Munfordville/Hart County couldn't come up with a plan to return it to it's original location or close by it.

Micah Trent
01-05-2010, 08:22 AM
From what I have read and what I am hearing, the Orginal Monument will be on display in the main lobby free of charge. However, if you are wanting to view the exhibits, then a fee will be charged. It will be interesting to see how they will work this in with the 150th section beginning in 2011.

Note that it also said that it will be a permenant home for the original monument. While in Hart County this past week, I did hear a volunteer at their museum say that they heard there is still a chance the monument could end up in Frankfort at the Kentucky Historical Society Museum. It will depend on how its is viewed and if it strikes up interest.

The thought of sending it back to Munfordville/Hart County, where the monument was originally placed, would been the key thing to do, but with lack of funds, as well as, lack of political and public interest, the monument could have faced even more damage there then in its current location. That being, not having a great palce to preserve it properly. I guess the next year or so will reveal questions as it goes.

MajorK
01-05-2010, 02:58 PM
It's great that somebody stepped up to preserve it and keep it from further damage. Maybe with it being in a museum it might spark some enthuiasm about the replacement monument and the story of the 32nd Indiana.

You know both Don Hackel and I have relatives that fought with the 32nd? You might say we have a little more than a personal interest in where the monument ends up.

When is it supposed to be at the Frazier?

Micah Trent
01-05-2010, 03:59 PM
There is no date set in stone yet, pardon the pun there, lol...but seeing how the folks who own Frazier like to showcase their items, especially when something big is going on in Louisville, I wouldn't put it past them to try and have it on display by Derby time...first weekend in May...if not sooner. If it is later in the year, then that could be up in the air.

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing the display and hope the those who have the chance to see it, do so.

I will keep everyone posted if I hear or come across anything more.

Micah Trent
04-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Here is a link showing some of the work being done on the monument.

http://www.conservationsolution.com/projects/monuments-sculpture/august-bloedner-monument/