PDA

View Full Version : Reenactor Event Checklist

DaveGink
09-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Has anyone created their own event check-list that they use? If so, how about posting it?

Below is mine. It's tailored for a Federal, Regular Army Cavalry Impression and of course what I use from the list varies depending on the type of event I am attending (So please, no ripping on the "mainstream" event stuff :) ). Since I like multiple styles of reenacting, I created the list to incorporate all of it. Yet I am still going as authentic as possible with my core impression, so that when I do authentic campaign style events I am good-to-go. Also, I do not yet own everything on the list, so it's also a nice guide to see what I still need.

Anyway, let me know if you see anything I missed.

---

EVENT CHECK-LIST

BEFORE LEAVING:

___Turned off Appliances
___Closed Windows
___Cats have plenty of food/water and clean litter
___Notified Landlord of where I'll be - left cell phone number

MODERN ITEMS/HIDDEN FROM VIEW OR LEFT IN CAR:

___Cell Phone
___Medications
___Glasses
___Contact Cleaner/Supplies
___Wallet
___Keys
___Emergency Flashlight
___Set of Civilian clothes
___Bug Spray
___First Aid Kit/Band-aids/Blister Pads
___Tooth paste
___Shoe pads
___Drivers License
___Insurance and Emergency Info
___Check Book

UNIFORM/CLOTHING:

___Mounted Service Jacket
___Sack Coat
___Trousers
___Shirt(s)
___Socks
___Forage Cap
___Slouch hat
___Gauntlets
___Great Coat
___Vest
___Drawers
___Shoes/boots
___Suspenders

UNIFORM MISC:

___Rubberized Poncho
___Shoulder Scales
___Hardee Hat
___Dress Gloves
___Spurs

WEAPONS & WEAPON SUPPLIES:

___Carbine
___Revolver
___Saber
___Powder
___Caps
___Cartridge Paper
___Cream of Wheat
___Bore Butter
___Powder Flask
___Nipple Pick
___Gun Cleaning Equipment

UNIFORM ACCOUTREMENTS

___Saber Belt
___Holster
___Cap Box
___Carbine Box
___Carbine Sling
___Canteen
___Tin Cup
___Haversack

PERSONAL ITEMS (PERIOD):

___Wallet
___Cards/Dice/Checkers
___Bible
___Comb
___Mirror
___Shaving Equipment
___Tooth Brush
___Medicine Containers
___House Wife/Sewing Kit
___handkerchiefs
___Journal
___Period Glasses (back-up to contacts)
___Pocket Watch
___Hard Candy

CAMP EQUIPMENT:

___Mucket
___Plate
___Fork/Knife/Spoon
___Gum Blanket
___Blankets
___Mattress bag
___Pillow Tick bag
___Small draw-string Tick bags
___Lantern
___Candles
___Matches
___Sheet Metal Skillet
___Small fry Pan
___Spatula
___Dipper
___Cooking Fork
___Folding Table
___Folding Chair
___Camp Box
___Wicker basket
___Hatchet
___Wood Cot
___Hidden Cooler with Period Cover

TENTING EQUIPMENT
___Shelter half
___A-frame
___Poles
___Ropes
___Tent Stakes

HORSE EQUIPAGE:
___Saddle
___Bridle
___Halter
___Crupper
___Surcingle
___Saddle Blanket
___Saddle Bags
___Curry Comb, Brush, Hoofpick, and Spare Horseshoes
___Nose Bag
___Picket Pin and Rope
___Feed

FOOD/DRINK:
(open per event)

Rob
09-07-2006, 01:02 AM
All of my gear resides in two closets, and, except for perishables, will be packed and ready days in advance.

After it's loaded in the car, a quick look around tells me whether or not anything got left out.

Rob Weaver
09-07-2006, 06:01 AM
That's great - I do my list in my head, and most of the time I wear my clothing to the event. That's the easiest way to remember it. I forgot my shoes once and remembered them 2 hours down the road. First thing I did when I got there: new shoes. Ate up all my mad money!

GrumpyDave
09-07-2006, 06:09 AM
There's something you need to add and, I'm not sure how to put it in words. Let's try this. Make sure you've read all of the event information and are familiar with the goals of the event before you arive. Don't rely on someone elses' word, make the effort to do it yourself. It amazes me sometimes how little attention folks pay to any communication put out by event organizers. They can't find registration, they didn' tknow they needed a cloth canteen strap, they didn't know who they were supposed to see upon arrival after check-in, they didn't know it was a flat haversack event or they were supposed to bring their own rations, and on and on. I was at an event where two folks said theydidn't know they had to carry all of their stuff and walk 5 miles on Saturday, after they had arrived in the Friday night camp 3 miles from their cars. And, from that, "Winnebago" was born.

Oh, add; Make sure my musket is clean, has all of it's parts, and is functional before I leave the house. Just thought of that one.

That list would be helpful for a newbie for sure. Different events, though, require different lists. You only learn how to modify your list after you've attended an event or ten.

bill watson
09-07-2006, 07:56 AM
And remember to pack a good attitude.

DaveGink
09-07-2006, 09:52 AM
And remember to pack a good attitude.

One of the most important items. ;)

DaveGink
09-07-2006, 09:56 AM
There's something you need to add and, I'm not sure how to put it in words. Let's try this. Make sure you've read all of the event information and are familiar with the goals of the event before you arive. Don't rely on someone elses' word, make the effort to do it yourself. It amazes me sometimes how little attention folks pay to any communication put out by event organizers. They can't find registration, they didn' tknow they needed a cloth canteen strap, they didn't know who they were supposed to see upon arrival after check-in, they didn't know it was a flat haversack event or they were supposed to bring their own rations, and on and on. I was at an event where two folks said theydidn't know they had to carry all of their stuff and walk 5 miles on Saturday, after they had arrived in the Friday night camp 3 miles from their cars. And, from that, "Winnebago" was born.

Oh, add; Make sure my musket is clean, has all of it's parts, and is functional before I leave the house. Just thought of that one.

That list would be helpful for a newbie for sure. Different events, though, require different lists. You only learn how to modify your list after you've attended an event or ten.

Excellent points.

I've added: "Review Event Guidelines" and "Check Weapons" to my 'BEFORE LEAVING section

AZReenactor
09-07-2006, 10:59 AM
For early war 1st California Infantry events my list is pretty consistent and dictated by orders with a few added personal items.

Knapsack containing:
greatcoat; blanket; forage cap; extra woolen shirt; extra pair of drawers; extra pair stockings; towel; handkerchief; two combs (one fine and one course); housewife with needles, pins, thread, buttons, cloth, scissors, beeswax, and nail scraper/ear spoon; soap; toothbrush; pencil & stationary; reading material/sanitary paper; night cap; oil cloth scrap; twine or string; and extra 20 rounds of cartridges in bundles with caps.

A traveling wallet packed with the items I will wear or carry in my pockets:
jackknife; billfold with period currency; handkerchief; poke bag containing medicines, insurance card, emergency contact info, modern money, credit card, car key, and ID; drawers; trousers; woolen shirt; stockings; brogans; blouse; and cravat, neckerchief or leather stock.

My haversack packed with:
plate; knife; fork; spoon; tin cup; tinder box with flint, steel, & tinder; vinegar bottle; rag; poke sacks; and rations (if they are not being issued).

I also take my musket; bayonet and scabbard; cartridge box with cartridges, tampion, musket wrench, patches, and spare nipple; waist belt; cap box with caps and nipple pick; belt knife; canteen; 1858 uniform hat

For later war or garrison events my load may also contain:
gum blanket; shelter half; rope; tent pins; tin can for cooking; button board; boot black; clothes brush; hair tonic; uniform coat; woolen gloves; domino set; dice; cards; mattress tick; private purchase shirt; shaving kit; or slouch hat.

Of course there are very different lists if I'm portraying confederate or cavalry. There is also a totally separate list for horse tack and such.

GrumpyDave
09-07-2006, 11:51 AM
"Bring a good attitude"

That's the first thing I put in the car, right after the rain gear. ;)

DaveGink
09-07-2006, 12:37 PM
For early war 1st California Infantry events my list is pretty consistent and dictated by orders with a few added personal items.

Knapsack containing:
greatcoat; blanket; forage cap; extra woolen shirt; extra pair of drawers; extra pair stockings; towel; handkerchief; two combs (one fine and one course); housewife with needles, pins, thread, buttons, cloth, scissors, beeswax, and nail scraper/ear spoon; soap; toothbrush; pencil & stationary; reading material/sanitary paper; night cap; oil cloth scrap; twine or string; and extra 20 rounds of cartridges in bundles with caps.

A traveling wallet packed with the items I will wear or carry in my pockets:
jackknife; billfold with period currency; handkerchief; poke bag containing medicines, insurance card, emergency contact info, modern money, credit card, car key, and ID; drawers; trousers; woolen shirt; stockings; brogans; blouse; and cravat, neckerchief or leather stock.

My haversack packed with:
plate; knife; fork; spoon; tin cup; tinder box with flint, steel, & tinder; vinegar bottle; rag; poke sacks; and rations (if they are not being issued).

I also take my musket; bayonet and scabbard; cartridge box with cartridges, tampion, musket wrench, patches, and spare nipple; waist belt; cap box with caps and nipple pick; belt knife; canteen; 1858 uniform hat

For later war or garrison events my load may also contain:
gum blanket; shelter half; rope; tent pins; tin can for cooking; button board; boot black; clothes brush; hair tonic; uniform coat; woolen gloves; domino set; dice; cards; mattress tick; private purchase shirt; shaving kit; or slouch hat.

Of course there are very different lists if I'm portraying confederate or cavalry. There is also a totally separate list for horse tack and such.

Ahhh...you actually reminded me of a couple things I missed.

By the way, what reading material do you use for "sanitary paper". ;)

bill watson
09-07-2006, 01:55 PM
I forgot to mention, as a serious response to the initial post, that my solution to the problem you face is to "pack" for the next event as fast as I can get stuff repaired and cleaned out after the last one. Since I'm serving as a private here and a captain or whatever there, the only thing I have to decide is what jacket, what hat, what rank insignia. All the rest is hanging on hooks in my home office, including a fully packed knapsack, and I just grab it and go. If a company kitchen is needed, that stuff is in a hardtack box in the basement.

No, I usually don't even bother with a tent unless the event specifically calls for it. I have mastered the technique of sleeping without an erected shelter and still staying reasonably warm and almost always dry.

reddcorp
09-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Basically, I keep my gear in a pile in the garage. If the pile is gone, then I've probably got what I need.
Kidding aside, good checklist. But, I'd rethink feeding/watering the cat(s). If you let them forage a bit for themselves, it'll make them tougher.

Andy "Dogman" Redd

AZReenactor
09-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Ahhh...you actually reminded me of a couple things I missed.

By the way, what reading material do you use for "sanitary paper". ;)

Generally a Harpers Weekly appropriate for the event timeline, occaisionally a temprance or religious tract.

DaveGink
09-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Generally a Harpers Weekly appropriate for the event timeline, occaisionally a temprance or religious tract.

May I ask, where do you find reprints of Harpers Weekly?

Thanks!

NoahBriggs
09-07-2006, 08:28 PM
How about Harpers Weekly (www.harpersweekly.com)? :rolleyes:

DaveGink
09-07-2006, 09:50 PM
How about Harpers Weekly (www.harpersweekly.com)? :rolleyes:

Odd. I had googled for "Harpers Weekly" before asking but had found "Harpers magazine" (different) and a few places selling one or two reprints of specific issues - but not that Applewood Books reprint site you posted (harpersweekly.com). I'm surprised it didn't come up in my search.

Anyway, thanks for the link!!! :)

bill watson
09-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Odd. I had googled for "Harpers Weekly" before asking but had found "Harpers magazine" (different) and a few places selling one or two reprints of specific issues - but not that Applewood Books reprint site you posted (harpersweekly.com). I'm surprised it didn't come up in my search.

Anyway, thanks for the link!!! :)

Well, Google did something in the past two weeks to change its search structures, and my impression is that things are not working perfectly. You might want to back up Google with another search on another search engine until they get things back up to their usual level of high performance.
The only reason I know is because we've used the Google search engine on our newspaper web site as the device to search our own archives, and everything is flatlining and this is why: Google changed something.

skamikaze
09-07-2006, 10:34 PM
i dont know if this fits in this discussion but does anyone else show up in uniform without bringing modernclothes? thats the only way i dont forget things. otherwise i have to go blind for the weekend cause i forget my period spectacles.

most everyone else in my unit comes in civi's and changes at night. am i the only one out there who gets stared at on the highway to events?

reb64
09-07-2006, 11:46 PM
[___Cats have plenty of food/water and clean litter
___Noti

What kind of soldier has cats!

NoahBriggs
09-08-2006, 05:35 AM
"I'm surprised it didn't come up in my search."

Yeah, I am surprised it never came up in my initial search. I knew Applewood was selling subscriptions by year or for four years ($395 for the whole four years or something) and you get a copy each week. Thus you can read about the War in "real time" as it were, and appreciate the lag time between the event and the coverage. All I knew about was www.harpweek.com , which is an online database to use HW as a primary source material.

Some vendors at mainstream events sell repro copies on old newsprint. If you pick up several copies of the same 1861 newspaper you can use it to -

wrap foods,
wipe your backside (if you are a masochist),
wrap around your chest on cold nights to keep warm,
shellac to the inside of trunks,
cut out the pretty pictures of the latest ladies fashions to tack to your bunk in winter quarters.
firestarting

Or maybe even read. :mrgreen:

toptimlrd
09-08-2006, 08:21 AM
i dont know if this fits in this discussion but does anyone else show up in uniform without bringing modernclothes? thats the only way i dont forget things. otherwise i have to go blind for the weekend cause i forget my period spectacles.

most everyone else in my unit comes in civi's and changes at night. am i the only one out there who gets stared at on the highway to events?

Depends on how far I have to go. If it is an event within a few hours, I do, but if it is an all day or multiple day drive I go in civvies; it saves the wierd looks and dumb questions when I stop to eat or gas up. Usually I like to go in uniform as it is that much less Ihave to pack and tuck away for the event.

toptimlrd
09-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Early on in my reenacting I thought I came up with a brilliant idea for making sure I didn't forget anything. I bought an antique steamer trunk and kept all of my gear in it (and I mean all my gear, I do multiple impressions and usually went to events with a wedge tent). My thought was all I have to do is throw the trunk in the old SUV, yank my uniform out of the closet and off I go. After wrestling with that heavy ^&^$@ at one event and having my pards who helped me mention it was &(*^(#$^ heavy, I quickly decided that was the first and last event it went to unless I took it empty for a living history of some sort. By the way I still store my gear in that antique steamer, but it now takes three steamer trunks to hold it. I do not carry everyting with me any more, but I have collected enough equipment to do almost any impression now from Federal to Confederate. From eastern theater to western theater. From early war to late war. Of course now I am upgrading some of that gear and the collecting continues. The nice thing about the steamers is they sit out at home and look nice and decorative while being a good place to store my gear. The wife likes them which means I like them.

DaveGink
09-08-2006, 01:32 PM
[___Cats have plenty of food/water and clean litter
___Noti

What kind of soldier has cats!

Them's fightin' words Johnny Reb!!! ;)

Actually, My last cat (of a pair) died a couple weeks ago at the age of 18. I just hadn't updated the list. My other cat died almost a year ago at the age 20. They were my buds!! It was amazing how much they become family and how tough it was to lose him. I love dogs too (my last was a white German Shepherd who died about 10 years ago) but I can't have them in apartments, which is where I've been living.

Interestingly, both dogs and cats were frequent pets of Civil War soldiers (even squirrels, raccoons and other animals) despite it being against regs. Dogs were by far the most popular pet and mascot however. But I suppose this is for a different thread. ;)

DaveGink
09-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Great stuff in this thread! Thanks!!!

Bummer
09-08-2006, 04:44 PM
After always seeming to forget something (I don't always bring the same stuff), my trick is to start packing long in advance, if not in the truck, then a special pile somewhere. Then as I remember something else I should bring (maybe something I want to show somebody or a loaner item someone asks for) I toss it on the pile...then when the big day comes I load it all after having plenty of time to remember what I forgot. It works.

I like to travel in my period things, but I always stuff a set of moderns to be left in the truck--too many times I have wrecked/ripped/dirtied my period stuff during an event, so a backup for the real world is sometimes needed.

Wanna Be Cav But No Horse
09-08-2006, 05:29 PM
my trick is to start packing long in advance, if not in the truck, then a special pile somewhere.

I keep trying this as an excuse with the Missus, but it never works.

Nighthawk
09-08-2006, 07:37 PM
I just do it old school. I write out a list, and check off each itwm as I pack it. Of course I change it several times before I leave for the event.

Stephen Whitlock
09-09-2006, 02:28 PM
I noticed on your list, to which you need to add is your Coggins Papers on your Horse, never leave home without them,,,

For those who haven't found a nipple pick yet, if you know someone who shoes horses, horse shoe nails work great and are period correct.

I enjoyed your list as it gave me some ideas.

Stephen Whitlock

Has anyone created their own event check-list that they use? If so, how about posting it?

Below is mine. It's tailored for a Federal, Regular Army Cavalry Impression and of course what I use from the list varies depending on the type of event I am attending (So please, no ripping on the "mainstream" event stuff :) ). Since I like multiple styles of reenacting, I created the list to incorporate all of it. Yet I am still going as authentic as possible with my core impression, so that when I do authentic campaign style events I am good-to-go. Also, I do not yet own everything on the list, so it's also a nice guide to see what I still need.

---

EVENT CHECK-LIST

BEFORE LEAVING:

___Turned off Appliances
___Closed Windows
___Cats have plenty of food/water and clean litter
___Notified Landlord of where I'll be - left cell phone number

MODERN ITEMS/HIDDEN FROM VIEW OR LEFT IN CAR:

___Cell Phone
___Medications
___Glasses
___Contact Cleaner/Supplies
___Wallet
___Keys
___Emergency Flashlight
___Set of Civilian clothes
___Bug Spray
___First Aid Kit/Band-aids/Blister Pads
___Tooth paste
___Shoe pads
___Drivers License
___Insurance and Emergency Info
___Check Book

UNIFORM/CLOTHING:

___Mounted Service Jacket
___Sack Coat
___Trousers
___Shirt(s)
___Socks
___Forage Cap
___Slouch hat
___Gauntlets
___Great Coat
___Vest
___Drawers
___Shoes/boots
___Suspenders

UNIFORM MISC:

___Rubberized Poncho
___Shoulder Scales
___Hardee Hat
___Dress Gloves
___Spurs

WEAPONS & WEAPON SUPPLIES:

___Carbine
___Revolver
___Saber
___Powder
___Caps
___Cartridge Paper
___Cream of Wheat
___Bore Butter
___Powder Flask
___Nipple Pick
___Gun Cleaning Equipment

UNIFORM ACCOUTREMENTS

___Saber Belt
___Holster
___Cap Box
___Carbine Box
___Carbine Sling
___Canteen
___Tin Cup
___Haversack

PERSONAL ITEMS (PERIOD):

___Wallet
___Cards/Dice/Checkers
___Bible
___Comb
___Mirror
___Shaving Equipment
___Tooth Brush
___Medicine Containers
___House Wife/Sewing Kit
___handkerchiefs
___Journal
___Period Glasses (back-up to contacts)
___Pocket Watch
___Hard Candy

CAMP EQUIPMENT:

___Mucket
___Plate
___Fork/Knife/Spoon
___Gum Blanket
___Blankets
___Mattress bag
___Pillow Tick bag
___Small draw-string Tick bags
___Lantern
___Candles
___Matches
___Sheet Metal Skillet
___Small fry Pan
___Spatula
___Dipper
___Cooking Fork
___Folding Table
___Folding Chair
___Camp Box
___Wicker basket
___Hatchet
___Wood Cot
___Hidden Cooler with Period Cover

TENTING EQUIPMENT
___Shelter half
___A-frame
___Poles
___Ropes
___Tent Stakes

HORSE EQUIPAGE:
___Saddle
___Bridle
___Halter
___Crupper
___Surcingle
___Saddle Blanket
___Saddle Bags
___Curry Comb, Brush, Hoofpick, and Spare Horseshoes
___Nose Bag
___Picket Pin and Rope
___Feed

FOOD/DRINK:
(open per event)

DaveGink
09-11-2006, 01:39 AM
I noticed on your list, to which you need to add is your Coggins Papers on your Horse, never leave home without them,,,

For those who haven't found a nipple pick yet, if you know someone who shoes horses, horse shoe nails work great and are period correct.

I enjoyed your list as it gave me some ideas.

Stephen Whitlock

Thanks Stephen!! Coggins Papers is now on my list. And I'm glad it helped give you some ideas.

reb64
09-12-2006, 06:59 AM
Them's fightin' words Johnny Reb!!! ;)

Actually, My last cat (of a pair) died a couple weeks ago at the age of 18. I just hadn't updated the list. My other cat died almost a year ago at the age 20. They were my buds!! It was amazing how much they become family and how tough it was to lose him. I love dogs too (my last was a white German Shepherd who died about 10 years ago) but I can't have them in apartments, which is where I've been living.

Interestingly, both dogs and cats were frequent pets of Civil War soldiers (even squirrels, raccoons and other animals) despite it being against regs. Dogs were by far the most popular pet and mascot however. But I suppose this is for a different thread. ;)

My problem with cats is many owners let them wander, several have used my yard and trucks/cars as balance beams with dirty prints and toilets, shredded trash. then the neighbors get upset when i trap them and turn them over to ther city. and they kill the hapless wild fowl chciks that ocaationally fall into the yard, sometimes with playful teasing cruelty.

RJSamp
09-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Oh pardon me, was that Your cat I didn't brake my SUV for?

DaveGink
09-12-2006, 12:58 PM
My problem with cats is many owners let them wander, several have used my yard and trucks/cars as balance beams with dirty prints and toilets, shredded trash. then the neighbors get upset when i trap them and turn them over to ther city. and they kill the hapless wild fowl chciks that ocaationally fall into the yard, sometimes with playful teasing cruelty.

Which is why my cats had never been outdoor cats, and had lived to 20 and 18 years old (And had shown as much love and personality as any of the dogs I have owned). And also why the average age of an outdoor cat is something like 2.5 years. I personally believe it is cruel to own a cat and let it live and/or roam freely outdoors. There are too many dangers. Not only from other critters, but also poisons, traps, traffic, and even cruel people. And cat's will be cats after all, and if people own them as pets it is their responsibility to protect not only them, but to keep them from doing damage to the environment outdoors. (End of rant and off topic post.) ;)

flattop32355
09-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Which is why my cats had never been outdoor cats, and had lived to 20 and 18 years old. (End of rant and off topic post.)

Hmmmm...I was wondering how cats got mixed in with your gear list. You'd have to mail them back home if they made it to an event. Sort of a "kitty letter"... ;)

Army30th
09-14-2006, 10:44 AM
I've even gone so far as to load the car for an event. Have everything I need, and when I get home, just leave all the crap in the car. Wife still gets made when she discovers and ammo crate in the way-back.

rebel yell
09-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Dave, that sure is a lot of stuff. My check list isn't that long, whatever I can carry on me from the truck to the camp. Sometimes less is more.

White Horse
09-24-2006, 08:01 PM

)

The kitchen sink? :p Just kidding, but you should try lightening your load.

If it don't fit on your horse, you have too much. I have "Ridden in" from the parking lot for the last few years with all my gear. When the event is over, I ride out and I am gone.

My List,
Horse Equipment
Saddle
Bridle
Halter
Picket pin
Nosebag with three days feed sealed in baggies inside. I know baggies are farby, but it keeps horses, my own and others from trying to get at it.
Saddlebags In one side is horse care equipment, brush, hoof pick ect. Other bag contains weapons related items, powder flask, extra rounds,small continer of gun oil, rag, ect.

Personal equipment
Haversack containing Canteen half, fork, small cup, and my rations for three days.
Canteen
Overcoat if the season dictates, carried on the fron of the saddle
Bedroll- two blankets rolled in pinted ground cloth on back of the saddle.
Shelter half, usually caried under the saddle.

Weapons
Saber belt w/ appropiate boxes if I am carrying a saber, roller belt if I don't(Western Confederate cavalry)
Cartridge box on a sling Enfield box, painted cloth sling with cap box attached.
Two band Enfield, Mississippi, or 1847 Springfield carbine.
One revolver.

If a 48 year old can, you can

Tod Lane

DaveGink
09-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Thanks all!!!

And please remember what I had said in my first post, this list encompasses everything I could think of for all types of events - not necessarily what I will actually be packing and taking. It all depends on the event. If the event is an "on the march" authentic event, where it is only what will be carried on the horse - then the items are tailored to that. This past weekend I attended a "mainstream" event with my unit (and family) where I (and the other members of my unit) brought things I would never consider bringing to an authentic event (yes, even a disguised ammo box cooler). This full list allows me to see everything in one place, and adjust it as needed. I suppose I could create multiple lists, but why bother, as the event guidelines determine what I bring.

There has been some great info here. I added things I hadn't thought of. And hopefully it will help others as well. Thanks again all who contributed.

DaveGink
09-26-2006, 11:07 PM
The kitchen sink? :p Just kidding, but you should try lightening your load.

If it don't fit on your horse, you have too much. I have "Ridden in" from the parking lot for the last few years with all my gear. When the event is over, I ride out and I am gone.

My List...

If a 48 year old can, you can

Tod Lane

Tod,
I think that's a great way to do an event.

White Horse
09-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Tod,
I think that's a great way to do an event.

You coming to Perryville?

DaveGink
09-29-2006, 11:17 AM
You coming to Perryville?

Unfortunately no. No one from my group was going so I didn't really consider it. I'm going to shoot for next year though - it sounds like a good event. Plus, I'd like to get back down to the area and visit the Patton Museum again. I was stationed at Fort Knox back in the early 80s and it would be good to see again.

RJSamp
09-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Unfortunately no. No one from my group was going so I didn't really consider it. I'm going to shoot for next year though - it sounds like a good event. Plus, I'd like to get back down to the area and visit the Patton Museum again. I was stationed at Fort Knox back in the early 80s and it would be good to see again.

Will it will be a much smaller event next year without the NSA hordes.....

Not the greatest of cavalry events to begin with (much more of an Infantry Artillery battle)...

Are you coming to Wauconda IL first weekend after July 4th?

Mills Springs next September should be good....

The 8th IL Cavalry is doing a symposium tomorrow at Cantigny....we'll be working with 150 teachers and talking about the American Civil War in a living history setting.... (right next to the modern 'cavalry' on climbable display).

militantamish
10-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Note to reader:all cavalry equipment is in parentheses() where differing from infantry equipment
Knapsack(or saddlebags)
Cartridges
Caps
Housewife
Mucket
Sox x4
Shirts x2
Blanket and oilcloth
Poncho
Meds
(horse brush, curry comb)
UNIFORM
Socks
Brogans(knee boots)
Pants and suspenders
Undershirt
Battleshirt
Hat
Shell jacket
Belt w/ cap box, bayonet, and knife
(sabre belt w/holsters, sabre, cylinder pouch, cap and pistol cartridge box)
(Carbine sling w/carbine cartridge boxes)
Cartridge box w/nipple wrench
Canteen

HAVERSACK
Jerky
salt pork
Boiled eggs
Dried apples
Fried pies(fruit as well as meat variety)
Spoon/knife/fork
Canteen half
Coffee

Horse equippage(front to back)
halter w/lead line&tie down
bridle
breast collar
blanket(which doubles to sleep under and rotates with blanket in roll)
if i carry a shelter half its also under here
saddle
surcingle
carbine boot
pommel holsters
large saddle bags(theyre documented as being issued to my unit so i use them)
feed bag
blanket roll on cantle(consists of blanket and gumcloth with stakes for tent in middle)(poncho folded above it but under straps for quick access)
if needed a greatcoat strapped onto pommel, rolled tightly to maintain access to pommel guns
myself
horse
registartion packet containing all the papers on vehicle, horse, medical stuff, and event registration

AZReenactor
10-03-2006, 03:54 PM
...sabre belt w/holsters,... cylinder pouch, ... pommel holsters

Wow, add this to the carbine and saber and it sounds like you're just about as armed as any typical horseless cavalryman, maybe more so.

Nice to see you use the larger saddlebags because they are documented as being used by your unit and not just for convienience.