PDA

View Full Version : New to the list

catspjamas
09-06-2006, 03:21 PM
There doesn't seem to be a meet & greet area, so I decided to jump in here and introduce myself. I'm new to the group and new to reenacting (1-1/2 years). I portray a nurse with Alexander's Battalion Field Hospital in NC. I've been interested in the Civil War era pretty much my whole life, probably influenced by growing up in Wilmington, NC and playing at Fort Fisher. I saw my first reenactment when I was 15, at Fort Fisher. I thought it was the greatest thing, to dress and live like it was the 1860's. Twenty-three years later I got my first dress and hoop. Still didn't join an outfit or go to any events. Finally, in 2005, I decided to jump in, I found ABFH and have been having a ball ever since. Right now I'm getting things ready for this weekend's event "Battle of Zachary Hill" in Snow Camp, NC. So, I have to tell you about getting my ridge pole fixed! I'm single, so no hubby to build or make things for me. When I got my tent last spring, I didn't order the tent poles (saving money). I was able to get what I needed at Lowe's, and they cut everything to length for me. I got the holes drilled ok, but I was stuck with an 8-1/2' pole. So, I've been driving to events with it hanging out the back of the truck. The guys in my unit told me to cut the pole in half and use a sleeve with bolts to put it back together when I get to events. "You can get the sleeve at Lowe's" Two hours in Lowe's and no sleeve. Finally, I got a flat sheet of aluminum duct material, the bolts, etc. and today, hammered it into shape, sawed the pole, and tada!! I now have a ridgepole I can break down and transport more easily. Sorry for the long post, but I'm really proud of my accomplishment.

Cats

Joni Everhart
Alexander's Battalion Field Hospital

"Yer prettier than a pair of red shoes with green laces". Wounded soldier to Phoebe Yates Pember, matron of Chiimborazo Hospital.

Bummer
09-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Welcome aboard fellow North Stater!
Sounds like you're rather handy with fixin' stuff. That will serve you well in this craziness, just as us single guys get to sewing and cooking and all.
Are you doing that Goldsboro event the weekend of the 23rd? And don't miss Ft. Branch in Nov.!

SW~

catspjamas
09-06-2006, 06:32 PM
We'll be in Eden doing a living history for their Riverfest. And we have a living history in Greensboro in Nov. Some of our people have done Fort Branch and it's always put up for vote on the calendar. From what I understand, it's a good event.

Cats

Bummer
09-07-2006, 01:34 PM
It's a very good event...it has something for everyone. Lot of good sutlers, a very nice dance with good music, good hardcore openended tactical on very challenging terrain, original fort and earthworks, a supurb camping site, convenient food (for those like me who hate to cook), well attended, horsedrawn artillery, friendly folks, usually perfect weather, etc. etc. a very popular event! I'd say the best in NC.
Hope to see you there.

Spence Waldron~

RebeccaMI
09-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Just thought I'd say hello. I'm new here too. *waves*

Bummer
09-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Hello and a wave back.

SW~