PDA

View Full Version : Clear, concise, LOUD commands

flattop32355
09-05-2006, 01:36 PM
I checked the search function and didn't find anything about this.

Is it just me, or does it bother other people when they can't hear their officers' commands because they don't give them loud enough? How about not being able to figure out what they said even if you do hear it because of poor diction?

I'm not even talking about commands given during the noise of battle. I'm talking about drill, or when the commander is facing away, as on the march, or is further down the line, or he has a voice that doesn't carry well.

If you, or those who are to echo the commands, can't make it out, the soldiers catch **** for not crisply obeying the order, even if they never got/heard the order.

It's as much of a pain as having to march through areas where the cavalry has "passed" (in the literal sense) before you. ;)

HighPrvt
09-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Nah doesn't bother me a bit. Imagine how often that happened to the soldiers we're portraying. Rather it was vocal, bugle, or drum.
Can you imaginfe the Cluster%$&^s that took place with thousands of troops manuvering.
I remember similar situations in the real army.

John Legg
09-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Like Pvt. davis said

alot of the commands are played by bugle and drum.

which brings me to another subject. since me being a drummer, and knowing most of the calls. i get frustrated sometimes when alot of the young or other drummers dont know the calls. i hope someday alot of them will learn them.

back then in the war, most federal musicians went to either two different music camps, where they learned everything. even in militia units, the principle musician of the unit, would have gone to a camp and taught the other drummers everything.

back then they did not read "regular music"

they used a system called Rote.

which is to memorize by repetition without exercise of the understanding.

if there is any drummers reading this, i would suggest to Practice at least 30 mins. a day, get a Bruce and Emmetts guide or take drum lessons. and learn more on the drummers and Feild music of the war.

thanks

John Legg

Rob
09-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Worse than that... wrong commands.

"Company! Ready! Aim! Fire! Recover!"

"Load and hold!"

"Fire by files from the left!"

:confused:

(If any of you are asking "what's wrong with that?", then you are part of the problem.)

HighPrvt
09-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Yeah I agree about the wrong commands. That drives me crazy!!!

John Legg
09-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Oh i know!!!!

Kimmel
09-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I play the bugle and I was lucky because I play trumpet in school, so the bugle was second nature to me. About the calls however, most of the guys in my unit know the skirmish calls. I still have yet to learn most camp calls... but I do know dinner call :-)

Forquer
09-05-2006, 08:35 PM
..........a lack of sufficient interval between preparatory command and command of execution.

That one really drives me nuts!

tompritchett
09-06-2006, 06:21 AM
To make matters worse, the band playing during drill totalling drowning out the officer's commands. Yes they need to practice also, but do they have to drown out the Bn commander's and Company commander's commands when we are going over Bn maneuvers that we are very rusty on? Wrong commands - definitely. But worse, executing commands improperly just because that is how we always learned it even though it contradicts the manuals (e.g., "lean in - look out" during a wheel while marching).

RJSamp
09-12-2006, 07:10 AM
To make matters worse, the band playing during drill totalling drowning out the officer's commands. Yes they need to practice also, but do they have to drown out the Bn commander's and Company commander's commands when we are going over Bn maneuvers that we are very rusty on?

The manuals specifically prohibit the use of music during drill....they are to be AWAY for their practice....plenty of references to going down to a stream, or shady spot, somewhere off from camp, for practicing.

Whole nother matter if you are drilling on skirmish by the bugle of course.....

Next time the Fife and Drums, Bugles, or Band is drowing out your drill commands.....send 'em packing. Like over to the spectators on sutler row, or that gazebo down yonder.