PDA

View Full Version : Corinth, Mississippi

dixiedon
09-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Why was Corinth, Mississippi significant to the Civil War and is it worth visiting?

ElizabethClark
09-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Google search for "Corinth MS Civil War" brings up this link:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/vick/camptrail/sites/Mississippi-sites/Corinth,siegeMS.htm

The gist of it for citizens would be getting caught for over a month between the two forces, and all the attendant difficulties of life under seige.

BobSullivanPress
09-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Why was Corinth, Mississippi significant to the Civil War and is it worth visiting?

As to why, well, two railroads intersected in Corinth. The two were the Mobile and Ohio, and the Memphis and Charleston. And in the Civil War, whenever two or more railroads intersect, the place has strategic significance. Aside from being the home of Elvis, Memphis was a pretty significant place. Once Corinth fell, Memphis lost its significance (can't get supplies from there because the railroad was cut), and so it was abandoned.

Is it worth visiting? Well, you'll have to make up your own mind on that.

Frenchie
09-05-2006, 02:36 PM
The railroads are an under-studied facet of the War. An excellent general history book on them is Victory Rode the Rails: The Strategic Place of the Railroads in the Civil War by George Edgar Turner. It adds a whole new dimension to how and why many battles were fought and gives a better understanding of the two government's policies that directly affected the course of the War.

tompritchett
09-06-2006, 06:31 AM
In the West, it was all about railroads and rivers. Not only the mighty Mississippi, but also the Tennessee and Cumberland rivers were of stragetic importance in terms of the Union army's ability to supply their troops campaigning in Tennessee and the Northern portions of adjoining states.

EmmanuelDabney
09-06-2006, 06:35 AM
Beyond the fact that it has military importance, Corinth was also a receiving area for thousands of runaway slaves and became a large contraband camp after the Union presence was permanent.

Spinster
09-08-2006, 12:42 PM
The National Park Interpretive Center there is well worth the trip, and gives an excellent overview of both civilian and military experience at the site. It utilizes some unique interpretive tools, making the center attractive for both the veteran CW buff as well as for a family with children.

The railroad beds so critical to this battle are still extant, and functional--you can walk many of the areas with ORs in hand. Markers scattered around the area point the way to dug works that have not yet been overcome by development (hurry, you could miss it).

The local museums are worth a visit, as is Jarnigan's. Local food highlights include catfish and some Mexican delights in dives that predate WWII.

This is also your staging point for trips to Shiloh NMP. Its about 20 miles up there, but these are the last motels you'll see.

Speaking of which--The Holiday Inn Express there is locally owned. These folks were exceptionally generous with rates and meeting rooms for North/South Alliance folks as we made numerous trips there for the Oct 2005 event.

They'll have my business from now on--especially given that I didn't arrive at my normal time one work weekend, delayed by weather, and by the time I got there, they'd called my home, alerted my husband, and were discussing at what point they would call the Mississippi Highway Patrol with my tag number. Fine protection and service for a woman traveling alone.

Besides, they always keep cookies in the lobby....