PDA

View Full Version : 1859 Sharps Pedersoli or Armi?

Trooper Graham
09-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Anyone have both or examined both? There is amost a $200. difference in price. I have examined the Pedersoli but not the Armi.

Kimmel
09-05-2006, 02:50 PM
I have a 59 Armi Sport. I've only used it at one event in May but it didn't foul. The Pedersoli is supposed to be better I believe, but the Armi Sport is cheaper.

Boggy Creek
09-05-2006, 03:01 PM
If you decide to go for an Armisport I have one for sale. Email if you have any questions:

Sockdollager@aol.com

Trooper Graham
09-05-2006, 03:56 PM
If you decide to go for an Armisport I have one for sale. Email if you have any questions:

Sockdollager@aol.com

Will do..........

Trooper Graham
09-05-2006, 04:00 PM
I have a 59 Armi Sport. I've only used it at one event in May but it didn't foul. The Pedersoli is supposed to be better I believe, but the Armi Sport is cheaper.

If it is better is it worth $200. more I wonder.

Bummer
09-05-2006, 04:20 PM
I have the Armi-Sport Sharps Rifle. I looked at both quite carefully (and a Garret too) before buying. Handled a couple of originals too. Talked to folks who had each, and brought a couple of my N-SSA gun nut friends along with me when I checked both out.
There is good an bad with both but the winner is.....Armi-sport.
The overall looks are better, the inletting is of higher quality, so's the stock shape. A bad thing about Pedersoli is that the wood is dyed or stained--I use the word dyed because two of the Ped owners mentioned the stuff coming out in a hard rain.
I can't go into all the tons of advice and instruction I got from my gun nut friends regarding them (thanks guys!), but there are things needed with both--for example; when you remove the block of an A-S you may not be able to get it back in. To save money they use the post war type hinge pin which is stepped--and almost impossible to get back in because of the difficulty lining everything up under spring tension. The original war time pins were coned on the end. Solution? Buy an original pin--fits right in.
The gas seal on both can be tricky--shooters use a little rubber O ring inside--works perfectly. The A-S has a problem with the block side screw being stuck and never coming out again--so did the originals. The newer Peds have a different type screw.
Without going into more than I can here, I must say that mechanically there are glitches with both, but for appearance I like the A-S.
Everyone I talked to agreed though that a Shiloh is the best repro of all--if you could ever get one.

Spence~

Trooper Graham
09-05-2006, 04:57 PM
I have the Armi-Sport Sharps Rifle. I looked at both quite carefully (and a Garret too) before buying. Handled a couple of originals too. Talked to folks who had each, and brought a couple of my N-SSA gun nut friends along with me when I checked both out.
There is good an bad with both but the winner is.....Armi-sport.
The overall looks are better, the inletting is of higher quality, so's the stock shape. A bad thing about Pedersoli is that the wood is dyed or stained--I use the word dyed because two of the Ped owners mentioned the stuff coming out in a hard rain.
I can't go into all the tons of advice and instruction I got from my gun nut friends regarding them (thanks guys!), but there are things needed with both--for example; when you remove the block of an A-S you may not be able to get it back in. To save money they use the post war type hinge pin which is stepped--and almost impossible to get back in because of the difficulty lining everything up under spring tension. The original war time pins were coned on the end. Solution? Buy an original pin--fits right in.
The gas seal on both can be tricky--shooters use a little rubber O ring inside--works perfectly. The A-S has a problem with the block side screw being stuck and never coming out again--so did the originals. The newer Peds have a different type screw.
Without going into more than I can here, I must say that mechanically there are glitches with both, but for appearance I like the A-S.
Everyone I talked to agreed though that a Shiloh is the best repro of all--if you could ever get one.

Spence~

Thanks Spence for all that info. Very helpful indeed.

Trooper Graham
09-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Shiloh Sharps base price...$1609. Almost double to a Pedersoli. :???:

Kimmel
09-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I can't take the plate off my block to get into it

Rob Weaver
09-05-2006, 06:14 PM
I have an Armi-Sport infantry model. I've never had any problem with the breechblock fitting or not fitting. I will caution you to clean the block very carefully, and make friends with your breechblock cleanout screw. I replaced the block spring after a couple years of service. It had corroded from moisture. When you clean the gun, take off the fore-stock and remove the spoon-shaped spring and clean/oil it. I also had to replace the mainspring, which shattered into 3 pieces in the strangest break I've ever seen. I love my Sharps, though. When it's clean, it shoots very well; it's light and great to drill with, is very accurate for live firing and all around has been a lot of fun.

Loyal Virginian
09-06-2006, 02:08 PM
I am no gunsmith or hardware expert. I just use the rifles. And I only use them for reenacting. My first Sharps was a third hand Pedersoli. It has worked like a dream. The only time I have had problems was when my rounds were not quite right (you need a good, tightly packed round for consistent firing).

I recently bought my second Pedersoli, Berdans double-set trigger model. My experience with this rifle is briefer, but it has also been very good.

Several of my colleagues have Armi-Sport versions. Their experience has been very varied, from constant firing problems to occasional firing problems.

With regard to looks, I have looked at a lot of originals at a lot of gunshows, handled them, hefted them (made a lot of dealers a bit anxious). To my own eye the Pedersoli looks better than the Armi-Sport, though I would say that the difference is more subtle than obvious. Until you look at the block. It seems to me that the setting of the nipple in the Pedersoli is a lot closer to the originals than is the case with the Armi-Sport. They both come up very obviously short of the originals in their approximation of the cap-feeding system that I have seen on the originals.

Saying all of that, it is still a great rifle, the most balanced Civil War era rifle that I have ever held. As the men say, though, keep them clean.

Trooper Graham
09-06-2006, 02:17 PM
I am no gunsmith or hardware expert. I just use the rifles. And I only use them for reenacting. My first Sharps was a third hand Pedersoli. It has worked like a dream. The only time I have had problems was when my rounds were not quite right (you need a good, tightly packed round for consistent firing).

I recently bought my second Pedersoli, Berdans double-set trigger model. My experience with this rifle is briefer, but it has also been very good.

Several of my colleagues have Armi-Sport versions. Their experience has been very varied, from constant firing problems to occasional firing problems.

With regard to looks, I have looked at a lot of originals at a lot of gunshows, handled them, hefted them (made a lot of dealers a bit anxious). To my own eye the Pedersoli looks better than the Armi-Sport, though I would say that the difference is more subtle than obvious. Until you look at the block. It seems to me that the setting of the nipple in the Pedersoli is a lot closer to the originals than is the case with the Armi-Sport. They both come up very obviously short of the originals in their approximation of the cap-feeding system that I have seen on the originals.

Saying all of that, it is still a great rifle, the most balanced Civil War era rifle that I have ever held. As the men say, though, keep them clean.

Thanks Wayne for your insight. Much appreciated.