PDA

View Full Version : Music Question

8thILCavalry
11-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Not sure if this belongs in Musicians or this forum but Does anyone know any information on the singer Dave Mathews who sang two CD's worth of Civil War songs?

1. Shades of Blue & Gray: Songs From The Civil War
2. A Nation's Broken Soul: Songs Of The American Civil War

Looking for more info and hopefully music by them, I know they where on a video singing with the 125th anniversary of Gettysburg battles.

I would love to learn more about the singer.

~

RJSamp
12-02-2009, 11:47 AM
no idea (ex history teacher!), and I don't think he's THE Dave Matthews......

http://www.camelotmedia.com/musicprod.html

Shades of Blue & Gray - CD
Cat.# 38102 CD $12.95
This CD contains 10 original songs about the American Civil War written by Dave Mathews. As a history teacher Dave used his music to bring the Civil War to life for his students. His passion for our history and his inspiring vocal delivery in this recording have captured the emotion of the Civil War in a way that will never be duplicated. These songs document factual events of the Civil War so it is a fabulous teaching tool and is used by many schools thoughout the US. But don't be fooled into thinking this is a dry, folksy rendering of history. This recording features outstanding performances from Dave Mathews and the wonderful ensemble of talented musicians. Produced by Camelot's own Jan Kurtis Skugstad whose musical production credits include recordings with such artists as Ray Price, John Coltrane, Joe Williams and Ernest Tubb, this recording rivals the Gettysburg movie soundtrack.
Songs included:
Road to Gettysburg, Death of Jenny Wade, Mule Shoe, By the Sword They Lived, Farewell to Thee, Atlanta, You Will Refuse the Line, By the Cavalry, Carry the Colors, Tears of a Generation

A Nation's Broken Soul - CD
Cat.# 38107 CD $12.95
Artist and songwriter Dave Mathews is featured on this popular recording of Civil War songs. It all began with his legendary recording of original Civil War songs on the CD Shades of Blue and Gray. The success of the recording was so phenomenal his fans demanded more. The result is this CD of authentic Civil War songs. This collection features a fresh approach to such standards as Aura Lea and Shenandoah. For the lover of historic tunes from the Civil War era this recording has become a "must have". The musicianship is phenomenal and Dave is as at home with this material as he is with his own compositions. The CD is also the soundtrack for the video of the same name. A Nation's Broken Soul and Shades of Blue and Gray received a recommendation from the American Libraries Association.

This is one of the finest collections of authentic songs of the Civil War period as performed by vocalist Dave Mathews. It includes:
Prelude - A Nation's Soul, I Am a Rebel Soldier, Aura Lea, Southern Soldier Boy (duet with Susan Jacobson), Just Before the Battle Mother, Shenandoah, My Old Kentucky Home, Drummer Boy of Shiloh, When Johnny Comes Marching Home and an original by Dave Mathews entitled Daddy Take Me With You.

This CD received the highest recommendation from the American Libraries Association.

http://www.cmt.com/news/news-in-brief/1473084/farm-aid-set-for-columbus-ohio.jhtml

Farm Aid Set for Columbus, Ohio
June 20, 2003
Farm Aid 2003 will be held Sept. 7 in Columbus, Ohio, with Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, Neil Young and Dave Matthews all taking part. Additional artists will be announced soon. "Farm Aid is committed to the hard-working farm families that give us so much," said Nelson. "Ohio is a strong farming state where much of the farmland is still owned and operated by family farmers, the backbone of Ohio's economy." Tickets go on sale June 28. 06/20/03