PDA

View Full Version : MORE vandalism at Gettysburg

48alabama
11-14-2009, 10:03 AM
All,
While walking my dog around the angle this morning,I noticed black spray paint on the monument from Congress to the US Regulars.The bottom sentence wasn't legible due to the rain here last night beginning to wash it away.I went to the park police house and reported it immediately.The ranger said it was already reported.
It was defaced on the west side facing the Emmitsburg pike.On top it said "FOX DIE !"
This is so pathetic! What kind of human oxygen thieves would do this ! I know if I ever catch these pieces of human refuse, I'll make it a slow and painful confrontation.I was born 10 miles away and live nearby.I go there very often and try to do my own "park watch".
Mark Hull
The Adams County Avenger Mess

sbl
11-14-2009, 11:56 AM
All,
While walking my dog around the angle this morning,I noticed black spray paint on the monument from Congress to the US Regulars.The bottom sentence wasn't legible due to the rain here last night beginning to wash it away.I went to the park police house and reported it immediately.The ranger said it was already reported.
It was defaced on the west side facing the Emmitsburg pike.On top it said "FOX DIE !"
This is so pathetic! What kind of human oxygen thieves would do this ! I know if I ever catch these pieces of human refuse, I'll make it a slow and painful confrontation.I was born 10 miles away and live nearby.I go there very often and try to do my own "park watch".
Mark Hull
The Adams County Avenger Mess

A character from a video game?

48alabama
11-14-2009, 01:39 PM
That's possible,Scott, but it looked political to me.I'll have to go back and see if they covered it yet.The left side of the sentence was washing away.
Mark Hull

sbl
11-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Die FOX News? Doesn't fit the Modus operandi of a "MSM" watcher. ;)

The usual mouth breathers that commit vandalism aren't great spellers or respecters of art.

Was this the monument?

http://www.gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/US/USreg.php

48alabama
11-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Yes,sir,that's the monument.I agree that most vandals are uneducated.It possibly could have been directed at Fox news.

Mark Hull

Ross L. Lamoreaux
11-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Couldn't have been toward Megan Fox. Thats one sick puppy if that's the case...
With all seriousness, this is one of the things that p@#$#s me off to no end. I know that as historians we tend to take monuments as sacred (or at least seriously), so I hate it when punks do this kind of stuff.

sbl
11-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Yes,sir,that's the monument.I agree that most vandals are uneducated.It possibly could have been directed at Fox news.

Mark Hull

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/FoxDie

FoxDie
From the Metal Gear Wik

"FoxDie is an engineered retrovirus developed by the Pentagon. It's programmed to kill specific people by identifying the person's DNA and their Nanomachines. Afterwards, it induces a cardiac arrest, killing the target."

http://helloquizzy.okcupid.com/tests/metal-gear-solid-4-quiz

#

Naoimi commits suicide after Vamp is killed.....but how does she take her own life?

Jumps off Metal Gear Rex

Shoots herself

Injects herself with Foxdie

Stabs herself with Raden's Katana

48alabama
11-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Could this be radical Gettysburg College students? Or local "Goths"? Too bad they're taking it out on the fallen soldiers of almost 150 years ago.I think these scum had a little education.They certainly don't have any balls since they won't confront a current active duty soldier or at least a U.S. Army vet like myself.
Great quick search on this term,Scott.I was still seeing RED today and wasn't focused on the idiotic message.:twisted:

Mark Hull

sbl
11-15-2009, 08:47 AM
The Gazette Times - Mar 7, 1913

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=GdkMAAAAIBAJ&sjid=m2YDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5982%2C1818565

48alabama
11-15-2009, 09:24 AM
I just got back from checking out the damage.I can't make out the first two words,then it has "becomes law" then there's another illegible word then "becomes duty." FOX DIE! is at the top.
Scott,
Maybe you can decipher this?

Mark Hull

sbl
11-15-2009, 10:04 AM
"WHEN TYRANNY BECOMES LAW, REBELLION BECOMES DUTY".

It shows up on-line on some Neo-Confederate sites.

48alabama
11-15-2009, 10:14 AM
That's it. I can make out the "ion" in rebellion.Makes sense with all the vandalism being done to Federal monuments.

Mark Hull

bob 125th nysvi
11-15-2009, 12:28 PM
http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/FoxDie

FoxDie
From the Metal Gear Wik

"FoxDie is an engineered retrovirus developed by the Pentagon. It's programmed to kill specific people by identifying the person's DNA and their Nanomachines. Afterwards, it induces a cardiac arrest, killing the target."

that can't even collect taxes and is about to wreck the health industry. I'm sure that the pentagon has created such a virus. Right yeah, sure.

I have been convinced for years that the human race as a group is getting dumber by the second. Now with the internet the time frame is down to the nano-second (which, for those of you who don't know, is approximate the time it light to move 9 inches).

I think if we just shoot the next 10 people convicted of defacing public property things might turn around but if that doesn't work we can always shoot 10 more. Either way it will help the gene pool.

KarinTimour
11-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Units/groups can "adopt" a monument at Gettysburg, taking responsibility for cleaning/upkeep through the year. One group I was with took responsibility for Meade's headquarters one year.

I know this wouldn't work for every moneument on the battlefield, but couldn't we start a movement to raise funds privately to pay for surveillance cameras on particular monuments? I don't know how much it would cost, and clearly the government isn't going to do it. Couldn't the "Friends of the XXX monument" do their own fundraisers and (with agreement by the Park officials) fund the cost of a camera or two for their particular monument?

Karin Timour
Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
Email: Ktimour@aol.com

sbl
11-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Come on Karin, that's a reasonable practicle way. That's no fun.

Quickstep
11-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Could this be radical Gettysburg College students? Or local "Goths"? Too bad they're taking it out on the fallen soldiers of almost 150 years ago.I think these scum had a little education.They certainly don't have any balls since they won't confront a current active duty soldier or at least a U.S. Army vet like myself.
Great quick search on this term,Scott.I was still seeing RED today and wasn't focused on the idiotic message.:twisted:

Mark Hull

Asked my boys what "Fox Die" means (one is 21 the other 25)--apparently it is indeed from the video game Metal Gear Solid. I told them what happened to the monument, and they are disgusted, as they have both reenacted, and at one point both portrayed Regulars. "Must have been some video game dorks," one said. Too bad I just saw this post or I would have gone over and checked it out--we just got back from Gettysburg.

Claude Bauer
3rd US Regular Infantry, Co.D

sbl
11-15-2009, 06:52 PM
I had to look it up.

sbl
11-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Leuthen battlefield In Poland 2007

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_6Q5Kpa3qF5c/R0CMFqlQFyI/AAAAAAAAAIU/jc7vxPpMEgc/s512/Leuthen20070060.JPG

Mojo1842
11-16-2009, 07:46 PM
*SNIP* "Must have been some video game dorks," *UNSNIP*
I thought that sort was allergic to fresh air...

We always stop there during our annual march to the National Cemetery to retire the colors to pay our respects so this is particularly disheartening to me. But somehow it comes as no surprise that it's the monument to the Regulars got vandalized since now, as then, they seem to play the Rodney Dangerfield role in the Union war effort...No respect.

Quickstep
11-16-2009, 08:40 PM
[/QUOTE=Mojo1842;137108]I thought that sort was allergic to fresh air...
We always stop there during our annual march to the National Cemetery to retire the colors to pay our respects so this is particularly disheartening to me. But somehow it comes as no surprise that it's the monument to the Regulars got vandalized since now, as then, they seem to play the Rodney Dangerfield role in the Union war effort...No respect.[/QUOTE]

Too bad they haven't invented cyber graffitti yet, that way the video dorks could deface monuments and other property without leaving their mothers' basements. :mad:

Speaking of no respect...

"The Regulars were disdainful of the volunteers, and particularly so of the brigade's 140 and 146th New York, which were outfitted in colorful Zouave uniforms..." which included "horror on horrors, a crimson skull cap with a yellow tassel, or else a white turban."

Complained Tilney [a veteran from the 12th NY whose unit was consolidated with the 5th NY, a Zouave unit]: "I suppose I would be permitted to continue with the detailed duty uniform, but one cannot tell; one thing is certain, I will not wear the other [Zouave uniform] without a fight."
-- Cold Harbor, Grant and Lee May 26-June 3, 1864, Gordon C. Rhea

(That's a great quote by Rosecrans on your website, btw!)

Claude Bauer
3rd US Regular Infantry, Co. D

Quickstep
11-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Much larger than I thought, it's going to be tough getting this mess off...

http://www.gettysburgdaily.com/?p=6053

What's this nonsense with the red flags?

28thNY
11-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Come on Karin, that's a reasonable practicle way. That's no fun.

Practical? When the Gettysburg Park people are making efforts to return the battlefield to as close as possible to how it appeared in 1863, I doubt that putting up CCTV cameras around the place would fly.

Anyway, the people who did this had an apparent knowledge of neo-confederate talking points and to the world of online gaming... Most likely some basement dweller who's been online too long and simply doesn't agree with the current presidential administration.

Nothing quite like vandalising a historic public monument to make a political statement. After all, democracy only works if you're in the majority. :)

The red flags are interesting though.

sbl
11-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Karin always posts a sensable adult solution as oppsoed to what some of us would like to do.

"Resistance" with the rest of the saying shows up more on left wing sites. "Rebellion" more on right wing sites. So far I haven't found a clear source for who originally wrote the saying.

I hope no one else turns up with "FED" scrawled on their chest.

ejazzyjeff
11-18-2009, 12:13 PM
I hope no one else turns up with "FED" scrawled on their chest.

I don't think that comparing a man's suicide (yes, the police are pretty sure it was a suicide to look like murder for insurance purposes) to defacing monuments is appropriate.

sbl
11-18-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't think that comparing a man's suicide (yes, the police are pretty sure it was a suicide to look like murder for insurance purposes) to defacing monuments is appropriate.

Thanks...that seem to be the latest on the case...

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/11/investigators_probing_whether_sparkman_manipulated .php?ref=mp

KarinTimour
11-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Mr. Taylor:

You wrote:
Practical? When the Gettysburg Park people are making efforts to return the battlefield to as close as possible to how it appeared in 1863, I doubt that putting up CCTV cameras around the place would fly.

You're proabably right. I just hate it that people deface these monuments, and I wanted to suggest something we could do besides just talk about it.

Taking a page from London's law enforcement efforts, larger and larger stretches of public streets here in NYC are being put under some form of surveillance. The cameras are getting smaller and smaller -- usually between the size of a grapefruit and a golf ball. They are often encased in protective shells, so that they can't be disabled (or disabling them involves more than the average person can attempt).

This wouldn't work in the parts of the battlefield where there are few trees (like over by the railroad cut), but in areas like the edge of the woods near the Rose Farm, or the Wheatfield or even parts of Devil's Den I'd think there might be ways to rig something small and unobtrusive. Even just putting up the signs that go with them "This area may be under video surveillance" might deter someone, at a nominal cost.

Karin Timour
Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
Email: Ktimour@aol.com

sbl
11-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Karin,

All those cameras may be proving the point of the graffitti.

http://www.holidayforeveryday.com/wp-content/vendetta_07.jpg

28thNY
11-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Karin,

All those cameras may be proving the point of the graffitti.

[V]

Interesting twist there Scott. and not entirely without merit. The people should not be afraid of their Government, the government should be afraid of their people.

Karen, obviously I'm completely against the defacement of the monuments and I'm also a Brit, so I grew up feeling the eyes of "big brother" on me whenever I was out in public, anywhere in public.

Sometimes they were comforting other times they were an intrusion and I expect that you'll get people making both points with the suggestion to place small cameras around covering the monuments.

One of the big arguments for the cameras in the UK is that they are a deterant. However, other people counter that saying "Prove it!" How can you quantify the success of a deterant when people are still being attacked while being filmed on CCTV and are able to get away before the police arrives?

In the same way, how can you quantify the success of cameras when you don't know for certain that any graffiti would have occurred if they did not exist. Also, consider that certain people might actually take the cameras presence as a challenge and graffitti might actually increase.

Let's assume that cameras are used... Sure, the cameras might well see a person putting graffiti on a monument, but (considering that this was most likely done at night) would it be in enough detail to know who it is? or will any response be quick enough to actually catch the person in question? At what point will the cost outweight the benefit?

It's a nice idea, but, at the end of the day, if the cost of the cameras is greater than the cost to remove the graffiti, it isn't going to happen.

sbl
11-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Funny I was reading Paddy Griffith's book: Battle Tactics Of The Civil War. Credit is given to artillery, earthworks, etc, that weren't opposed as having an effect towards victory as much as units actually engaged.

Folks and authorities can't always be around to maintain parks and monuments. It might be like the way cutting the grass and fixing broken windows makes a neighborhood looked lived in and lessens crime, the look of maintainance and care (flowers etc) around monuments could help. Maybe folks could send cash to local veterans and patriotic groups, or the scouts near the selected monuments to care for that monument.

hiplainsyank
11-20-2009, 03:30 PM
In this country the people should neither fear their government nor the government their people, since, technically (yes, while we are a democratic republic) we ARE the government, and if we are engaged citizens then there should be no problem.

I bet it's stupid drunk college students, myself. Sounds like just enough confused dumbness to sound like that...videogames and political slogans...

sbl
11-20-2009, 03:58 PM
There's that!

28thNY
11-20-2009, 07:14 PM
In this country the people should neither fear their government nor the government their people, since, technically (yes, while we are a democratic republic) we ARE the government, and if we are engaged citizens then there should be no problem.

That's the best laugh I've had all day (and I actually like the current administration). :)

Sorry... No modern politics!!! Y'all have been told!! ;)

sbl
11-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Geeeze Simon, I liked what he wrote and I have hope as well.

28thNY
11-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Geeeze Simon, I liked what he wrote and I have hope as well.

You're right. :)

reb64
11-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Well heres a chance to do some real guard duty. Instead of pretending on weekends how about some voluteering if nps would allow it and guard the sites in shifts. have a sgt of the guard ready to call in violaters. this would maybe prevent some damage and give a real sense of the isolation, boredom and responsibility these soldiers really had.

Quickstep
11-22-2009, 07:27 AM
The 3rd US placed a wreath at the monument Saturday morning, and was pleased to see that the graffiti has already been cleaned up by the NPS. A reporter for the Civil War News was present, so we'll probably be hearing more about the vandalism issue and possible prevention options. There was also a small contingent of Confederates on hand for the ceremony--don't know who they were, but thank you gentlemen for the show of support!

YOS,

Claude Bauer
3rd US Regular Infantry, Co. D

Pvt. Sweetey
11-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Monday, my family and I stopped on the battlefield of Gettysburg , and I showed my mother all that was left of the grafitti (thankfully its barely visible anymore!) and she said she thinks somebody grafittied the monument because the monument was erected by CONGRESS. It makes a lot of sense, so I don't think the vandals intended on insulting Civil War veterans, but I think they were insulting Congress, by vandalizing their monument, the U.S. Regular's monument. What do y'all think?

sbl
11-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Kind of a stretch Cody.

It's more like Congress people doing what they always do with more TV and "Internets" watching.

5 th Alabama Infantry
11-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Absolutely disgraceful. I drove by Saturday and it looked pretty good.