PDA

View Full Version : Enfield Question?

Teddy775
09-02-2006, 03:02 PM
I just fnished replaceing my lock plate on my Euro-Arms Enfield and now when I go from Half to Full Cock its fine. But when I go from Full to Half it some time will not set at half all the way and it can miss fire what could cause this problem.
Thanks
Ted

marcaverill
09-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Have you put your old lock back in and the weapon works fine? If your new lock is giving you problems, Id return it or at least contact the place you bought it from.

I had a similar problem with my Enfield a few moths back. When at half cock, pressure on the hammer would allow it to go forward. It was also hanging up on occasion during firing, going from full to half cock when the trigger was pulled. I fixed that problem by replacing the tumbler. You may want to look at the sear also.

I'd put the old lock back in first and then contact the seller before messing with something you just bought.

bill watson
09-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Loosen the lockplate screws before you try anything else. Not flopping around loose, just looser than you've got them. Or take it out and see if there's scraped or shiney wood inside -- you conceivably could have tightened the new plate and the moving parts are rubbing wood inside and not moving freely.

I've done that, that's the only reason for the suggestion.

The replacement may not actually be precisely fitted to the stock inside somewhere.

If it won't fix easy, I'd get a gunsmith involved. You've got a safety issue.

Ephraim_Zook
09-02-2006, 08:23 PM
I concur with Bill W. Try his suggestion. I've been there and done that, only with a Springfield. Stock screws too tight, things don't work.

regards

ericchampigny
09-02-2006, 10:03 PM
I've had this same exact problem with my Euroarms Enfield. The gunsmith just filed down the flat part of the trigger that presses against the sear. It's an easy fix you can do yourself.

Rob
09-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Back off on the lockplate screws and let the wood "decompress".

Make sure the sear screw (bottom bridle screw) has a fine coating of oil on its shoulder, and smear a bit of oil, using your fingertip, where the sear and bridle make contact. My personal preference is Break-Free. A little goes a long way. Crank down on this screw until the sear won't move. Then back it out just until the sear flops around loose, but no more than that. A drop of LocTite Blue on the screw threads, to make sure it stays put, wouldn't come amiss, either.

From Mr. Lodgewood:
"The Enfield is noted for misbehaving if the sear screw is either too tight (when it will catch in 1/2 cock since the sear drags) or too loose (when it will fire in 1/2 cock). The lockplate screws also can be over-tightened and the internals will bind against the stock. It could also have a weak sear spring. We recommend using a good thin machine oil on the screws once the action is working correctly. This reduces the friction between the parts and the screws and they stay put better without creeping every time the hammer is cocked."

Oftentimes the tumbler will bind on the wood, which acts as a brake. I have used a very sharp 3/8" chisel to shave off some of the wood surrounding the tumbler, but this must be done very carefully. Don't remove any wood from the "ledge" which the plate sits on. You will make the problem worse.

When tightening the lockplate screws, try to push the lock from side to side with your fingertips on the plate and your thumb on the lockplate screw head. As soon as this side-to-side movement can no longer be detected, the lockplate is tight enough. You may be tempted to crank down on these screws until they absolutely cannot move, but it will be too far.

I hope this helps.

Teddy775
09-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Thnak You all I have tried all sugestions and still seem to have the problem I have taken my lock apart befor with no problmes I dont know what I could have done wrong unless i might of broke something.

Ephraim_Zook
09-03-2006, 12:59 PM
We can now talk about screws instead of having to disguise the word as skrews or scr*ws or scr3ws. Ain't it wonderful!

John1862
09-03-2006, 02:12 PM
We can now talk about screws instead of having to disguise the word as skrews or scr*ws or scr3ws. Ain't it wonderful!

Shhhh! Dont reveal our secrets!