PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing uniforms

Stephen Whitlock
09-01-2006, 07:46 AM
I have a uniform that is the wrong shade of gray for my area. The obvious solution is to sell the uniform and buy another, but when you can't sell it what do you do? Dye it!!! So do yall know how I can dye this uniform to an acceptable shade of grey or brown? Or bleach it to a shade lighter? Also where can Ifind the dyes to do this? The uniform is Tuscaloosa Grey a grey not suitable for the Trans-Mississippi.

Rob Weaver
09-01-2006, 08:28 AM
I don't know a lot about dying or sewing in general beyond stitching a simple seam rip. However - I wouldn't attempt to dye a completed garment. Fabric shrinks when you dye it, and can shrink unevenly. That's why it's dyed before constructing something from it. There's a good chance your seams will pucker up and the garment will take on crazy and unwearable shapes. Then there's the lining, if it's lined. It will shrink at a different rate than the shell, compounding the problem. In my early days of reenacting, I dyed a hunting shirt (18th c. garment) repeatedly, but it's a pretty simple, unlined linen garment. I had a white wool, lined waistcoat (vest for 19th c types) that I wanted another color and was dissuaded from messing with it by all the experienced sewers, and professional clothing care people that I took it to. It's still white today.
I would leave it alone and wear it as you feel to be appropriate, and save your ducats for a new jacket that meets these different needs. That may take longer, but in the end you'll have 2 good coats, instead of a mass of misshapen fabric that used to be one.

ElizabethClark
09-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Also, since the jacket is wool, do not attempt to use chlorine bleach on it... you will dissolve the wool fibers.

Dittos on save up by increments for a jacket in the wool you'll use most for your impressions. This also gives time for the jacket on sales boards, and you might be surprised what folks may need.

reb64
09-01-2006, 09:43 AM
I have a uniform that is the wrong shade of gray for my area. The obvious solution is to sell the uniform and buy another, but when you can't sell it what do you do? Dye it!!! So do yall know how I can dye this uniform to an acceptable shade of grey or brown? Or bleach it to a shade lighter? Also where can Ifind the dyes to do this? The uniform is Tuscaloosa Grey a grey not suitable for the Trans-Mississippi.

Exactly what uniform do you have wool/ or jean and style

Stephen Whitlock
09-01-2006, 06:13 PM
I appreciate the replys from Rob and Elizabeth and I'll do just as yall say, I'll not alter the uniform, I just may wear it as is and see who complains,,,,LOL,

Reb, I think this is more of a Jean Wool design, the the garment is of a tighter wool weave which appears closer to jeans than my other pants, which are more of a civilian weave. But unless someone buys this uniform, I'll wear it as is,,, . The uniform is a common shell jacket with matching pants. :D

reb64
09-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the jean reply, however you semed a little fuzzy or unsure about it. I'd like to see it. I am in the trans miss myself and would like to find a solution for you, but really am curious over the jacket.

Stephen Whitlock
09-01-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm in Oklahoma, I just joined the 1st Arkansas Battlion/ Company Cee 22nd Ark. The Captain told me that the color Tuscaloosa Grey was ok, but the General told me in no uncertain terms NO. We will be doing a lot in Oklahoma Arkansas, some Louisiana ( Pleasant Hill and Mansfield) and maybe some AoT such as Corinth etc.

If you will send me an e-mail to whitlock.s@sbcglobal.net I will send you a picture of the Uniform.

Stephen Whitlock
09-02-2006, 02:15 PM
I would like to thank all of you for your help. While although I did know the color of the Jacket I have now learned that it is a Columbus Depot Type 1 Shell Jacket with seven buttons. According to a link I was sent the Columbus had 5, 6 and some 7 button jackets, it has six panels with two piece sleeves and an inner pocket which is paraell to the front edge of the Jacket. With information provided I have learned a lot today and would like to thank all of you.