PDA

View Full Version : Civil War Eyeglasses

lee1863
02-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Does, any one know where I can get some repro or original frames, or who specializes in this-Thanks

Radar
02-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Try ebay and/or antique stores.

Mich8th
02-22-2006, 09:02 PM
I have to agree with Radar there you can get them on e-bay and have your prescription put in by your eye Dr.. I did this and really like them except there isnt enough room for byfocals if you need them. I need byfocals but get along real well without during a reenactment :lol:

Enfilade
02-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Trying to find correct period frames at an antique dealer is like finding a needle in a haystack. Going on e-bay is a hit and miss kinda thing. It's better to go directly to shopping now and get the real deal. Here is the best place to buy the correct vision wear for our time frame....

http://www.eyeglasseswarehouse.com

Don't forget the holder.

-Enfilade

ley74
02-23-2006, 11:55 PM
Tell you what, I just fitted myself out with contacts for about $100. This included the fitting. Since my work does not make wearing them during the week practical, I wear them on weekends. Now my eyesight is awful but comfortably fit into the extended wear lenses. Wore these babies for three days at Winter of '64 (harsh conditions) and not one problem.

You will pay at least as much for a repro pair of glasses with corrective lenses (as the lenses should have flat fronts and this costs extra) and would still be in the minority (maybe even significant minority) of ACW soldiers. It would help the impression.

jpbab
03-04-2006, 02:19 AM
I bought a pair of 19th century glasses on ebay for 15.00 and went to 39dollarlenses.com for my bifocal prescription custom made for these frames.

Cost for lenses? 39.00 plus shipping

I just went to that lens warehouse in the above message. Mine look just like those. Steel, narrow, small ovals.