PDA

View Full Version : springfield by navy arms?

jc121
08-30-2006, 06:39 PM
I have collected swords for some time now but have always been interested in different items.
I picked up this reproduction navy arms rifled springfield back in march and now just wondering about it.
It has not been fired from what I can tell. The lock plate is marked US springfield 1863 with navy arms, ridgefield NJ USA on it. and has a eagle on the plate and where the nipple screws in.

The barrel is marked navy arms, ridgefield NJ USA. The only other mark on it is on the barrel by the navy arms mark with a #48 and that is the only marks on the whole rifle. I took it out of the stock looking for any other mark but found none.

It is like a chrome finish on everything or maybe its in the white I guess? The stock is one piece and looks to be finished in a true oil. Rifle looks very nice.

so is this a 1861 or 1863 reproduction? And where was it made? I looked for something to tell me it was made in Italy but found nothing to indicate that.

Thank you Jon

Frenchie
08-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Intending no offense, has it occurred to you to contact Navy Arms to find out what they can tell you? Actually having the beast in hand or at least seeing good close-up pics would be far better than a text description.

If it's a full-length, three-band piece it sounds like a repro of a '63 Springfield .58 caliber rifle-musket. If so, removing the middle band should show you where the fore stock separates into two pieces. The white metal is called "armory bright" finish and was specified by the Ordnance Department of the period.

I'm no expert but I think the lack of any markings other than the ones you mentioned is interesting. I wonder if someone was in the process of removing the non-historical markings?

jc121
08-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Yes that is most likely the best I can do to get the info.
I have had the rifle apart and it is a one piece stock. I would think if someone before me had planned on trying to make it look more real they would of removed all of the navy arms new jersey markings. I understand they were made in either italy or japan and who knows where else navy arms imported them.
I picked it up in a moving sale. I bought a rusty springfield that was mounted on a board. all the wood was gone but the rusted rifle was still there. When I bought it I also bought this one from the same guy. He was in his mid 40's and told me he had found the rusted one along a river back east where he lived. His folks had bought this reproduction so he would have one that looked like it.
When you are at a place like that you really do not have time to ask many questions and the ones you wished you had you think of later. LOL Plus I just figured it was a low dollar reproduction and as most of them are it most likely is.
Yeah maybe I should of asked what year his folks bought it. It could of been last year or 30 years ago I really do not know.

I understand and it puzzles me also as to the lack of markings as all of my itialian pistols and my trap door have lots of them. How were the japanese ones marked?

I do not plan on selling it but as anything you start to wonder about things.
I plan on decorating a house with the different things I have picked up over the years. My new house really does not lend its self to that but I retire in less than 3 years and do plan on moving somewhere and get a victorian.
Being here in the west you do not see many of these unless they are the real ones at shows and the such.

Thank you for your suggestion and I will call navy arms.
Thanks again Jon

John1862
08-30-2006, 08:54 PM
I bought a rusty springfield that was mounted on a board. all the wood was gone but the rusted rifle was still there. When I bought it I also bought this one from the same guy. He was in his mid 40's and told me he had found the rusted one along a river back east where he lived.

I specialize in old rusty broken junk. That item there could easily be in the $5-600 range, so maybe you will want to look into that. Feel free to email me at john1862@gmail.com if I can be of further help

flattop32355
08-30-2006, 08:55 PM
My first rifle musket purchase was a Navy Arms 1863 Springfield, back in '03, and probably similar to your own. I contacted Navy Arms a couple years ago to ask about its origins, and was told that it was made in Italy for resale by them. I can't recall whether Armisport or Euroarms; that's easily checked by comparing the cone threads. AS and EA use different cone threading, and are not compatable.

Rob Weaver
08-31-2006, 07:51 AM
so is this a 1861 or 1863 reproduction? And where was it made? I looked for something to tell me it was made in Italy but found nothing to indicate that.

Thank you Jon

Dead give-away is the presence or absence of a clean-out screw underneath the nipple. If there is a clean-out screw, it's an 1861. If there isn't (and the area under the nipple is flat, embossed with a Federal eagle) it's an 1863. There are some other clues, but this is the obvious and easy one. If the gun has never been taken out or fired, the white metal will indeed look very much like chrome. Sadly, it won't stay that way, and it'll break your heart to see it the day after you fire it the first time.

jc121
09-20-2006, 11:21 PM
I finally got a chance to call Navy Arms today and ask about this rifle.
Because it was made while they were in NJ the records were turned over to the the batf from what they told me when they closed out that FFL. Being black powder I do not know why? but that is what I was told. Maybe they just have to send everything in.

They told me that my rifle was made before it was required to have the import stampings. They also told me it was one of the first ones imported by the companys original founder with the low serial number and that it was made in the early 1960's in the first batch they sold.

They also said they have no way to tell if it was made in Japan or Itali. But the majority of them were made in Itali I was told. To bad they do not have the records. So it looks like it is around 40 some years old.

So my final opinion on it is? I might not want to shoot it as it is still new as I would hate to discolor a nice rifle being what they told me about it.
I have many other black powder firearms to shoot so I will just live with them.

Thank you all for lending some good advice.

Jon