PDA

View Full Version : Blanket Roll

kenpoga
08-30-2006, 05:10 PM
What is the proper way to roll my blanket or gum blanket? I have a home made blanket that was made for me. I also have a gum blanket. Do I roll them both together or not? I've been in reenacting for almost a year now. I do mostly CS impression but my group dose federal a couple of times a year. Any info would be great. Thanks

Pvt. Kyle Clayton
42nd GA Infantry, Company B

GrumpyDave
08-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Have you tried checking with your groups NCO's?

Rob Weaver
08-30-2006, 05:42 PM
When I wear a blanket roll, I fold the blanket long-ways, then twist it tight (stand on one end while doing this). Tie the ends together with your blanket roll straps from your pack. You can also make a bedroll with a musket sling that's a lot cooler on a hot day. I don't roll a poncho with my bedroll for 2 reasons: 1) If it rains, you'll want your rain gear and won't be able to get at it easily 2) Rubberized cloth rubbing against your neck is torture!
A common and period way to carry your poncho, if you want, is stuck under your belt in back, folded in quarters (There's a drawing in Hardtack and Coffee called "Flankers"that shows this style.) Don't roll it up really tight like modern soldiers do - I can't find any justification for that historically.)

marcaverill
08-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Sykes Regulars has a great many articles on various subjects. I have used them often for reading up on things and they are part of "My Favorites."

Try this link to their School of Instruction page:

http://www.cwreenactors.com/~sykes/instruction/instruction.php

kenpoga
08-31-2006, 05:41 AM
Hey thanks for all the info. It helped me alot. :)

Pvt. Kyle Clayton
42nd GA Infantry, Co B