PDA

View Full Version : "After Event Let-Down!?"

Scottish Songbird
08-30-2006, 01:06 PM
Hi Everyone,
Is it just me or are there others who experience this phenomenon of a high and then a let-down after an event? It always takes me a while to come back to reality and then I'm kind of sad for a while!:( I've been like this since I went to my first event at 16 years old!!
Ok, well if I'm the only one out there who feels like this maybe somebody ought to call the "funny farm" and have them get my "padded cell" ready!!:p :rolleyes:
P.S. Still single and looking!!!;)

Trooper Graham
08-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Ok, well if I'm the only one out there who feels like this maybe somebody ought to call the "funny farm" and have them get my "padded cell" ready!!:p :rolleyes:

It's called 'the return to reality blues'. You need a pocket watch that you can make time stand still. That was done in an episode of "The Twilight Zone'. ;)

LadyTopaz
08-30-2006, 01:42 PM
I think I saw that one, didn't the watch get broken and the guy was stuck where he was with no one and nothing moving?? Or did I get it confused with something else????

Crystal

Rob Weaver
08-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Yeah - I often come home with the best intentions of emailing people I'd met and writing company AARs but just don't have the energy to do them. There's also "post retreat depression" that settles on participants returning from religious retreats. You've just been in the company of a lot of people who are excited about doing and saying the things you're excited about. Then you come back to the mundane, everyday world where what has been the focus of your attention is placed on the back burner. Or worse, because of time constraints, you don't even have time to put all your toys away! My gear is still in my car from last weekend!

Trooper Graham
08-30-2006, 03:12 PM
I think I saw that one, didn't the watch get broken and the guy was stuck where he was with no one and nothing moving?? Or did I get it confused with something else????

Crystal

That's the one. Better one though was the guy on the commuter and one of the stops was back in the late 19th c. He finally decided one day to get off and live for a change.

Hondo
08-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Ditto Jill. It is indeed a let down afterwards.

Hondo

marylandreb
08-30-2006, 05:02 PM
The best thing about a re-enactment ending was taking a hot shower when you got home!:D

MStuart
08-30-2006, 06:22 PM
When one has to live and work in the city, it's a big bummer coming back to reality.

Mark

toptimlrd
08-30-2006, 07:07 PM
For me, the hot shower and or bath is always a welcome homecoming. I guess I don't go through too much of the let down, but there always is a touch of melancholy as I see everyone getting back into their 21st century attire and striking camp. Quite often I just stay in uniform if the drive home isn't too far (with the exception of putting on my modern specs so I can see better. I do get some strange looks from time to time though. When an event is over I am usually simultaneously relieved to be heading home to that hot shower and a comfy bed and anxious to get to the next event.

Birddog
08-30-2006, 09:49 PM
I always have trouble with the reverse time travel. I can get to the 1860's in record time, but after an event it always takes me a few days to get back to the present. Fortunately I work alone for the most part so others aren't exposed to my sour moods while traveling back to the 21st century!

Wayne

Rob
08-30-2006, 11:43 PM
When I was a musician, it was referred to as the "post-gig blues".

Marie21stOVI
08-31-2006, 09:26 AM
I belong to a Civil War chat room, and every year as many members as are able get together and enjoy 3-4 days of touring at a specific battlefield.

Topnotch guides, good food, and congenial fellowship with a group of the nicest people you'd want to meet.

We call the aftermath PMS-Post Muster Syndrome.

Regards,

Marie

Scottish Songbird
08-31-2006, 11:34 PM
Well, I'm so glad to know there are others out there who feel the same as me!:D I guess if we're crazy, we can all be in that "padded cell" together?!?!:p ;)

Trooper Graham
09-01-2006, 04:39 AM
Well, I'm so glad to know there are others out there who feel the same as me!:D I guess if we're crazy, we can all be in that "padded cell" together?!?!:p ;)

And a straight jacket to keep the hands tendered. ;)

toptimlrd
09-01-2006, 09:16 AM
When I was a musician, it was referred to as the "post-gig blues".

Rob,

Once a musician, always a musician; just one that needs more practice than average.

I always had to wait for the feeling to come back to my chops before that feeling hit, but I too had it. To this day, it is difficult for me to see my horn without picking it up for a few minutes and at least do a few rudiments on it. I wonder why my wife keeps moving it to new locations....................

My unit has an invitation only event next weekend and I'm starting to feel like a kid a week from Christmas.

Wounded_Zouave
09-01-2006, 10:20 AM
For we 21st century people, to spend a weekend in the 19th century is to experience a type of freedom and sanity. Coming back to the the "modern" world is to resume that life in a "padded cell." No, we're not crazy... we're just a little bit too sane.

To paraphrase Henry David Thoreau:

"I went to (insert event name here)* because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

- Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

*woods

Scottish Songbird
09-01-2006, 01:44 PM
For we 21st century people, to spend a weekend in the 19th century is to experience a type of freedom and sanity. Coming back to the the "modern" world is to resume that life in a "padded cell." No, we're not crazy... we're just a little bit too sane.

"I went to (insert event name here)* because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

*woods

Well Mr. Simons,
I couldn't agree with you more! Thanks for sharing:D !

Now, I just have to try to stay focused on this 21st Century life until I get to the next event...:rolleyes: ...somebody help me?!?!?:p

Hondo
09-01-2006, 05:02 PM
This is why I say re-enacting is more than a hobby. At least for me it is a passion. It helps keep me sane and that aint easy. LOL!

Hondo

flattop32355
09-02-2006, 07:21 AM
This is why I say re-enacting is more than a hobby. At least for me it is a passion. It helps keep me sane and that aint easy. LOL!
Hondo

One must already be a little odd to do this hobby. Why else does running around through the hot, hot sun in funny wool clothing while eating "bad" food, sleeping on the hard ground and shooting blanks occur to us as "fun"?

Like any other pursuit, that passion can be used to advantage or detriment. There are those who use it to advance the knowledge of the period, inform and remind the public of its history, and keep alive the memory of those who gave so much. Then there are those who use it to their own advantage, or take that passion to the point of religious zeal, setting themselves up as somehow more blessed than the rest.

As with any human endeavor, one must be aware that a good thing, taken to an extreme, can become a not so good thing. Passion is emotion, and emotions can run high and overflow, overwhelming reason.

This summer on the boards, emotions have only rarely overflowed. As the "Grumpy Season" approaches, and the physical outlet of actual events is gone, be ready for the emotional tide to rise, and make sure not to contribute to any flooding.

Gee! I feel better!

I shall now step off my philosophical soap box and start loading rounds for Perryville.

Mojo1842
09-21-2006, 05:37 PM

*woods
Amen to that, Brother

Things seem to make a bit more sense there also

Joanna
09-21-2006, 07:06 PM
The thing about the hot shower is, I'm not really craving it while I'm there; it isn't until I'm in the car that I NEED it. I think the biggest let-down is that the event is only 1 1/2 to 2 days, not enough time to let go of the 21st century, so by Sun. afternoon I'm not ready at all to go. To the gentleman who stays in his uniform in the car - I know what you mean! Most of the ladies in my unit are right back into their shorts and t-shirts to pack up. I can't let go, but since packing up and loading is difficult in full skirts, not to mention getting those skirts into the car, I compromised and made myself a bloomer costume. I wear it to and from the event only. It helps get me into the mood early (while everyone else is in street clothes until Sat. morning) and it isn't too embarrassing in the convenience store on the way home (esp. since my husb. is still in full uniform with jacket). And it lets me bound like an antelope over the fences! (an 1850's quote about adopting the costume for life out on the prairie) But seriously, I would love to have an event start on Thurs or Fri, or go to Monday.

Joanna Jones, who would have gotten off the subway at the 19th c. stop also

bizzilizzit
09-21-2006, 08:31 PM
But seriously, I would love to have an event start on Thurs or Fri, or go to Monday.

Joanna Jones, who would have gotten off the subway at the 19th c. stop also

You should go to the 145th Sharpsburg event next year - set-up is usually on Thurs., school day on Friday with maybe an evening battle, two full weekend days, stay over on Sunday and party with your pals, and pack up to be a tourist on Monday!
I did it for the 140th and 135th events - it was GREAT!
Elizabeth

Joanna
09-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Elizabeth wrote: You should go to the 145th Sharpsburg event next year

Where do I get more info on it? Joanna

Mojo1842
09-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Elizabeth wrote: You should go to the 145th Sharpsburg event next year

Where do I get more info on it? Joanna

Try this....

http://www.emmitsburg.net/antietam_2007/index.htm

bizzilizzit
09-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Try this....

http://www.emmitsburg.net/antietam_2007/index.htm

Thank you, Scott!
Elizabeth

Mojo1842
09-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Thank you, Scott!
Elizabeth
You're quite welcome, Ms. Topping; I aim to please;)