PDA

View Full Version : Saxon Blue

REBfrmNY
08-29-2006, 11:23 PM
I wanted to know how common “Saxon Blue” was in the ANV and in what years it would have been most prevalent.
Thank you,
Daniel Harhangi

jademonkey
08-30-2006, 06:08 AM
I wanted to know how common “Saxon Blue” was in the ANV and in what years it would have been most prevalent.
Thank you,
Daniel Harhangi

Daniel,

The best person to speak with on the subject would be Ben Tart. He makes reproduction Saxon Blue jean using a period technique, which involved bathing indigo-dyed material in an acid solution (if I remember correctly). Just google Ben Tart and you'll find his wedsite with contact info. Good luck,

Garrett

Ground Hornet
08-30-2006, 11:04 AM
In truth, there is no "one" answer to this.

The simple facts are that trousers of many styles, cuts, patterns, makes, and materials were made and either issued, sent from home, or purchased through other means by combatants in all armies. Jean wool, cotton jean, broadcloth, kersey, tweed, cassimere, satinette, and other materials were common. They were common before the war and many were loomed or imported in great quantities during the war.

I think the Saxon blue would make a good, universally usable pair of britches that you could get a good deal of service from.

My two cents.

Fred Baker

NC5thcav
08-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Ben's website is Bentart.com

REBfrmNY
08-30-2006, 05:15 PM
“I think the Saxon blue would make a good, universally usable pair of britches that you could get a good deal of service from.”

That is basically what my friend told me several months ago. I ordered a pair of Saxon blue Richmond Depot trousers from Ben Tart but I wanted to make sure that these would be appropriate for someone doing a mid war ANV impression.

Daniel Harhangi