PDA

View Full Version : New to Reenacting and need unit info.

BackDraft
08-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Hey guys im Danny H. Im new to reenacting and trying to find out a bit of ifo about the group. Im currently looking for a confederate unit to join. I have been a big fan of the civil war for awhile. I heard about reenacting when I was watching the "Gettsburg" Special Features and I thought what you guys do is pretty cool. I like that people are preserving the history of the civil war and the battlefields that are left from the Civil war. I have done most of my civil war studies on the arym of Northern Virginia. Im also wondering how the units are set up. If its by location or you can just join up into a unit. Also I am not sure if my race would matter considering there werent alot of black men fighting in the army of northern virginia.

skamikaze
08-28-2006, 09:45 PM
you should check out the book Black Confederatesby Charles Kelly
Barrow. its a great list of primary sources for anyone looking to do a "colored confederate" impression.

there are several african americans i've met who do a good reb impression. In fact, we have a guy named Al in the 24th GA who comes with us to most events. i just saw another guy with a SC unit last weekend at hibernia forge too.

im gald you are planning to do this oft overlooked facet of american history.

best of luck

BackDraft
08-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Thank, you and I will check that book out.

ley74
08-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Danny:

The 47th Virginia has at least one black fellow in the ranks.

Email: EPow47@aol.com

Web site: http://www.47thva.org/

Good luck.

tompritchett
08-29-2006, 08:19 AM
i just saw another guy with a SC unit last weekend at hibernia forge too

Actually the unit was 4rth Texas.

VaTrooper
08-29-2006, 08:27 AM
We have an african american trooper.

BackDraft
08-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Thats cool, I email the Recruiter for the 47 Va. So maybe we will see were this goes.

VaTrooper
08-29-2006, 08:53 AM
The 47th is a Virginia based unit. You may want to ask around for a unit more in your area.

BackDraft
08-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Probly right ill need to find one near me.

BackDraft
08-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Then, ill need to find a unit in the North Dakota/Minnasota area. If anyone can get me in contact with a unti in that area I would be greatful.

captain_kirk
08-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Your race has absolutely nothing to do with being a Confederate soldier. I am Captain of Co. B 4th Alabama and I am proud to lead two African Americans. One is my 2nd Lt. and is a 3 time member of the Sons of the Cofederate veterans. He is an excellent officer. The other is our 15 year old drummer and he picked up a rifle at Missionary Ridge and shot dead a Union soldier and was mentioned in reports. We also have three other African Americans in our battalion alone, and get this, we are NE Alabama and NW Georgia. Both free and sometime slave served in the battle line next to friends and masters and were not segragated as in the Union Army. It was against the law for a black man to fight, but the " dont tell and dont ask" policy was adopted. Read Black Soldiers in Blue and Gray, and The Black Confederate Soldier. fyi 10 to 15 % of Forrest's Cav. was composed of African Americans. Let me know if you wish to know more.
Kirk Fuller
Captain Co. B 4th Al
Army of Northern Virginia

Barclay
09-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Danny,

You may want to explore a unit in the Stonewall Brigade. Many members are based in northern Virginia.

The websites: www.stonewalbrigade.com and www.wythegrays.org

best regards,
-Bret Sumner

MStuart
09-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Danny:

Try the Recruiting Office thread on this forum for a start. Whereabouts are you at in N.D./Mn. area? My son is stationed at Minot AFB and he comes down a few times a year to play with us.

Mark

Tigerrebjim
09-05-2006, 12:57 AM
We reenact in South California, as Companies E and F, 8th Louisiana. Both units had free men of color (proper term) in their units. I have info on them, both records and 1860 Census info

If you can not find a unit in your area that had men of color in that specific organization, you could to a generic representation of those men of color that fought as soldiers.

Best of Luck

JIMTee

BackDraft
09-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Im in Grand forks only four hours from minot. My family was stationed in GF AFB for 14 years. Now we are retired family. So idk joining a group many states away is an option. Another option is to try and get reenacting up anr running in MN or ND. I dont know if MN has any units for sure. I think I heard from some were that MN had two union units but, know confed units. If that is the case maybe I could make a confed unit. Ill have to find out about a unit that isnt taken yet though in order to do that. In order for my to join a virginia based unit. I would need to fly or drive over which will be hard considering I only make 300 or less per check and I need to save up for a car, apartment and possibly collage. So joining a unit closer to my States would be the easiest thing to do.

cwrematchr
09-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Danny,

Check out the PM I sent you.

Jason

BackDraft
09-08-2006, 12:30 AM
I did its intresting

HighPrvt
09-08-2006, 04:50 AM
Danny,
Sent you a PM.

GQFDFireman44
09-20-2006, 08:26 AM
The 30th NCST, has or at least used to have a African American soldier in their ranks aswell. I belive he was a Sgt. Just keep looking, I am sure you can find a good group.