PDA

View Full Version : real reenacting

Busterbuttonboy
08-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Well i just got back to the university to start another semester of intense historic preservation. however while i wait for everyone else to return i had a real thought of what we might persue when theres a lack of quality events or money for new gear.

Real Reenacting. (For those of you who actually didnt do this)
I propose we reenact the battle of ______ (insert name & date) ala 1962.

In short i think we have the resources to understand how those reenactors of the centenial thought was authentic an give it a shot. Cow boy boots, original rifles and leathers, levi's....etc. Whatcha say? Itd be like twice the research, only for the stout of heart!

Drew Gruber

tompritchett
08-24-2006, 05:31 PM
I think that the term would be reenacting reenacting. Actually I didi that once at an event. One of my pards split the coffee on morning and many reaction was so humorous (of course I was laying on the angst heavily) that other members of the company asked us to reenact the scene.

jademonkey
08-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Well i just got back to the university to start another semester of intense historic preservation. however while i wait for everyone else to return i had a real thought of what we might persue when theres a lack of quality events or money for new gear.

Real Reenacting. (For those of you who actually didnt do this)
I propose we reenact the battle of ______ (insert name & date) ala 1962.

In short i think we have the resources to understand how those reenactors of the centenial thought was authentic an give it a shot. Cow boy boots, original rifles and leathers, levi's....etc. Whatcha say? Itd be like twice the research, only for the stout of heart!

Drew Gruber

Drew,

There must be something in the air in HP programs this fall b/c I just pitched an oral history project to a professor about recording the experiences of centennial reenactors. Funny. Are you at Mary Washington? MHP program? -Garrett

reddcorp
08-24-2006, 10:38 PM
I did hear that they will soon be breaking ground for the construction of an Old Reenactors Home and Hospice in Marbury, Alabama.
Of course, this may have just been a rumor.

AWRedd

Busterbuttonboy
08-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Garrett
Yes i am indeed at Mary Washington for Historic Preservation.
Reenacting Reenacting is a better title sorry. I was thinking of starting my kit with a purple sack, levis, cowboys boots, my original musket and a straw hat. oh oh an dont forget the confederate flag buckle. top notch. maybe a 1963 version of vicksburg. who knows!

i was thinking of a reenactors museums. hodges shirt sold on ebays couple years back an there are some other items floating around. lol we could put it in the common room of the reenactor retirement home.
Drew Gruber

TeamsterPhil
08-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Go to any large event or most small to medium events. You will find a large proportion of the participants are reenacting what other reenactors have done over the last 45 years, as opposed to what happened 145 years ago.

Phil Campbell

Button Whizzer
08-27-2006, 09:32 AM
There must be something in the air in HP programs this fall b/c I just pitched an oral history project to a professor about recording the experiences of centennial reenactors.

Like these from Ross Kimmel of the Black Hats:

http://wesclark.com/jw/kimmel.html

Good reading.

Brandon

hanktrent
08-27-2006, 10:19 AM
The keyboard campaigners are reenacting 2004 over on the Authentic Campaigner forum right now.

Hank Trent
It's a joke, people, settle down :)
hanktrent@voyager.net

Kimmel
08-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Like these from Ross Kimmel of the Black Hats:

http://wesclark.com/jw/kimmel.html

Good reading.

Brandon

I like that guys last name :-D

MissMaggie
08-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Mr Trent,
I have no problem going back to 2004! I was still living with my parents then and the only bills I had to pay in life was my car payment (which I bitched about endlessly by the way, which is stupid since it woudn't even cover half of my rent these days). This whole being an adult thing sucks.

MStuart
08-27-2006, 08:19 PM
This whole being an adult thing sucks.

Wait till you have kids of your own. Only then will you understand what your parents are going through!! (As parents, we love saying that!)

"Rookie" parents think that once the kids leave the nest, they can stop fretting and relax. That's the biggest bunch of crap anyone ever spouted.

Mark

I'll paraphrase Mark Twain who said that as a young man, he thought his father was an idiot, but as he became an adult, he realized his father was a genius.

VaTrooper
08-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Maggies right, once you turn 18 everything gets expensive.