PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post article

electrichorseman
08-13-2009, 01:55 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/virginiapolitics/2009/08/both_campaigns_address_confede.html?hpid=news-col-blog

Read the comments...

Pvt Schnapps
08-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Wonder how I missed that one? It's an interesting article, though. For one thing, it means that the next time the subject comes up here we can just cut and paste the comments from the Post because, basically, they cover everything anyone's ever said here. :)

But this is my personal favorite:

"'Does your candidate believe it is ever appropriate to fly the Confederate flag?'

"Sure it is. Else, how would you know, during a Civil War reenactment, which side was which?"

bob 125th nysvi
08-14-2009, 12:04 AM
the most fun out of the whole thing is none of the kibitzers (I mean posters) actually have the guts to put their names to their statements as they all hid behind alias.

At least here we have, despite the differences, the guts to put our names behind our opinions.

Everybody has an opinion, that's a given, but someone who doesn't have enough guts to own their opinion isn't worth the electrons necessary to read them.

Now see if you Virginians were sensible like NY politicians you wouldn't have these problems. You'd just buy everybody off with a piece of the pie, make sure there are no primaries by giving people patronage positions, divide up the state into 'sphere's of influence' and let the tax payers foot the bill.

Silly Virginians! You actually are having a RACE for governor AND you expect them to talk about ISSUES, how quaint.

sbl
08-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Funny, before the "internets" (a series of tubes) you had to actually talk to people face to face or actually write a letter to your local paper.

Just sayin'.

Spinster
08-14-2009, 09:00 AM
And the paper would contact you, make sure you were you, ask permission to publish the letter, and have your physical address on file. They also did not publish letters from folks who were not from around here very often.

Ask me how I know this.......

Old

5 th Alabama Infantry
08-16-2009, 05:04 AM
Wonder how I missed that one? It's an interesting article, though. For one thing, it means that the next time the subject comes up here we can just cut and paste the comments from the Post because, basically, they cover everything anyone's ever said here. :)

But this is my personal favorite:

"'Does your candidate believe it is ever appropriate to fly the Confederate flag?'

"Sure it is. Else, how would you know, during a Civil War reenactment, which side was which?"

Well, I donít think "everything."

The Battleflag of the Confederate States of America should be flown as an official emblem of the Commonwealth Virginia. It honors a generation of Virginiaís sons, our great grandfathers and great grandfathers, who fought for independence from the tyranny of central government and against the invasion of a foreign army.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
08-16-2009, 07:57 AM

The Battleflag of the Confederate States of America should be flown as an official emblem of the Commonwealth Virginia. It honors a generation of Virginiaís sons, our great grandfathers and great grandfathers, who fought for independence from the tyranny of central government and against the invasion of a foreign army.

As an SCV apologist, I'm quite surprised that you don't realize that there is no "battleflag of the Confederate States of America". Battleflags were individual banners created on the regimental, or sometimes battalion, level, and varied from theater to theather, corps to corps, etc. The government of the CSA never adopted a formal battleflag to represent the country or the government, thus the major differences between the ANV, AOT, Trans-Mississippi, Hardee, Polk, etc, etc. The only national government flags adopted for the CSA are the three oft cited "national flags" such as the stars and bars (1st National), stainless banner (2d national) and so on. So which battleflag would you prefer to use to alienate the other almost 500 years of Virginia history?

5 th Alabama Infantry
08-16-2009, 08:53 AM
As an SCV apologist, I'm quite surprised that you don't realize that there is no "battleflag of the Confederate States of America". Battleflags were individual banners created on the regimental, or sometimes battalion, level, and varied from theater to theather, corps to corps, etc. The government of the CSA never adopted a formal battleflag to represent the country or the government, thus the major differences between the ANV, AOT, Trans-Mississippi, Hardee, Polk, etc, etc. The only national government flags adopted for the CSA are the three oft cited "national flags" such as the stars and bars (1st National), stainless banner (2d national) and so on. So which battleflag would you prefer to use to alienate the other almost 500 years of Virginia history?

Thanks for the history lesson. I was trying to spoke in general terms that you obviously didn't comprehend.

BTW , the SCV need no apologists.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
08-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the history lesson. I was trying to spoke in general terms that you obviously didn't comprehend.

BTW , the SCV need no apologists.

You're making this too easy this morning. I definitely can comprehend generalities, but your own SCV demands specifics when it comes to the use and display of the battleflag, so why do you just make generalities? Doesn't the flag and defense of the south mean more to you than just general casual conversation - I know it does for me. I care enough to speak up and make corrections when bad information is passed on, such as this case now. Also, you're so far out of it, that you have no idea what "apologist" means:
"Apologist (noun) - A person who makes a defense in speech or writing of a belief, idea, etc." Yes sir, the SCV does indeed need apologists, as does every organization based upon heritage and education. "Apologist" is a compliment and a positive, not deragatory....

Pvt Schnapps
08-16-2009, 09:15 PM

I think the current flag of Virginia addresses its several centuries of history pretty well. And if you knew anything about it, you'd know it covers the Confederate period pretty well, too: http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/flags/va_flag.htm In fact, it was chosen a couple of weeks after secession. Why on earth would you get rid of it in favor of a flag that was flown by the soldiers of ten other states as well? Because it's not in-your-face enough? Alabama, you fiddle with your own flag, and see if you can come up with something better than the Burgundians.

Regular DOC
08-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Once again we see two sides making a silly situation out of nothing to score political points. Deeds campaign must be desperate to be pulling this out. But no doubt this will start the whole SCV vs NAACP fued again and no doubt both organizations fund raising campaigns. I myself am tired of the nes articles about the silly flag.