PDA

View Full Version : How to stretch a hat?

Longstreet
02-21-2006, 01:14 PM
My hat has gotten small and I was told that a hat stretcher could help. Before buying one I was wondring if anybody has had a good or bad experience with hat stretchers? If it helps it is a Clearwater hat. I hate to let it go because it is a tad too tight. To "head" off any jokes, no my head has not gotten bigger!

Thanks, Mark

toptimlrd
02-21-2006, 01:28 PM
I keep a hat stretcher made by Tim Bender in my Hardee by the same maker. Although it never has "shrunk", it was a bit too round for my head and it did help that situation. I would suggest talking to Tim and asking him his thoughts. He is an exceptioanlly knowledgeable and friendly person to work with. I think his stretchers are about $15 plus S&H. There are also instructions on how to stretch a hat on his website under hat care. http://www.benderhats.com/

Hope this helps.

Forquer
02-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Sir -

Tim Bender offers some hints on stretching a hat, in addition to a stretcher/keeper on his website at http://www.benderhats.com/ .

If you are uncomfortable about trying it yourself (understandably so, because if you do it wrong, you can do irreversible damage) or can hold off until you get to an event where Clearwater will be, they are normally equipped to stretch hats out in the field.

If you can't wait and don't want to try it yourself, you may check in your area for Western tack shops that deal in hats. They sometimes offer hat stretching and re-shaping.

HighPrvt
02-21-2006, 02:26 PM
I've stretched a couple of different hats using Tim benders advice mentioned above. If your hat is just a bit tight on your head go for it. Works like a charm.
BTW, you can get a stretcher anywhere that sells decent hats, such as cowboy hats, etc. They're all the same.

Jim Mayo
02-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Before I got my Bender hat stretcher I used a volley ball partially deflated until it fit in the hat tight. I would take a hand pump and put a little air in it occasionally.

Longstreet
02-22-2006, 09:19 AM
I guess that would come of the catagory of "if they had had it they would have used it."
Thank you for all the assistance. I am going to place an order for a Bender hat stretcher and give it a try.

Mark