PDA

View Full Version : Any Flag-makers?

Pvt. Sweetey
07-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Somebody who is not a member on this forum wants to know if there is anyone who would make a Civil War flag for her cheap. She wants a price range. Thanks!

Spinster
07-21-2009, 05:40 PM
There's really not any such thing as 'cheap' in proper flag making--the materials called for are often fine dress silk, or wool bunting, both pricey in themselves.

But, if what is really being looked for is a unique display flag in cotton or polyester, then the folks at Ruffin Flag may have what you need at a price more than reasonable. They stock a variety of inexpensive flags, and can custom make from your specifications.

http://shop.ruffinflagcompany.ieasysite.com/default.aspx?categoryid=0

Ofcalipka
07-22-2009, 12:13 PM
What sources are out there for proper flags. All I can seem to find are the cheesy 3X5 polyester made in china flags for the Union. I've actually been debating about sewing my own regimental flag (The Red, white, and blue one as I found a decent blue w/eagle flag). But I doubt my sewing skills are quite up to a respectable standard for such a task.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
07-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Proper silk is still out there from a plethora of fabric sources, and can be found easily through web searches. Bunting, however, is a completely different beast all together. Ben Tart was a good source, but I understand he's behind in that production. I used to make a number of flags out of bunting, but I'm guarding the rest of my stash like it was made of platinum.

huntdaw
07-22-2009, 12:25 PM
I have a few yards of blue wool bunting from FHW that I always intended to make a Hardee Corps flag and a Missouri State Guard flag from. Probably won't mess with the Hardee but still plan on having a painted MSG flag ready for all the 150th stuff.

Ofcalipka
12-20-2009, 03:19 AM
Hello all,
I am still looking for an affordable regimental flag. My attempt to sew one ended rather horribly. I will need one as we are attempting to gather a color guard for a small dedication ceremony for a monument to the people from Hawaii who fought in the civil war at the Punchbowl cemetery. Yes there were a few and only now is there any sort of movement to acknowledge their service. I don't know a date yet for the ceremony but it will probably be some time during 2010 as we are almost done raising money to build the monument. I have to pay for this out of my own pocket as there is no unit here to share the cost. I already found a decent blue regimental flag and need the red white and blue one. Please let me know of any sources for this item that you know of. As of yet my internet searches have come up with nothing.

EasySam
12-20-2009, 09:15 AM
I have a few yards of blue wool bunting from FHW that I always intended to make a Hardee Corps flag and a Missouri State Guard flag from. Probably won't mess with the Hardee but still plan on having a painted MSG flag ready for all the 150th stuff.

Have you ever seen what the flag with the tigers and "BEWARE" on it looks like?