PDA

View Full Version : New Loyalist Arms Infantry offerings

RebelCapt
08-21-2006, 09:11 PM
I just heard from Blair at Loyalist - They are fixin' to offer the 1854 Lorenz and 1835/40 US Flint to percussion cone in barrel muskets.
Email them and request pictures or email me directly at rebelcapt@cablespeed.com and I'll forward the email he sent me. Please put a request for Loyalist pics in the subject line.

cyall

John1862
08-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Chris--thats for the email, the Lorenz looks really nice compared to what I have seen. I have emailed Blair concerning a small custom rifle run, which I think may be of interest to a few. The 1842 French rifled musket, I know it was used, albeit in small numbers but was indeed used.

NC5thcav
08-23-2006, 10:32 AM
I looked at their website last night and was impressed with their 1847 Springfield musketoon......until I looked at pictures of several originals. I was thinking of getting one for a future cavalry impression, but there are just too many problems that can't be easily fixed. The last barrel band is completely wrong, as is the wood that is missing in front of it and the length of the barrel after the end of the forearm.

RebelCapt
08-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Derek,
The pic on the web site is of the prototype. Some modifications are being made on the next run. - The front band is being pulled back some and the rammer swivels are being re-designed. As far as the wood protruding from the front band? I have seen pics of originals with exactly this type of band so it is correct depending on the example you compare it to. see http://www.lodgewood.com/carbine%201847.htm
My general feeling on their products is they are willing to listen to us, the guys in the field doing the research. Trying to do better is all you can ask of anyone and willingness to do better is more then many are prepared to do.
I think that anyone willing to even try to produce correct cavalry musketoons is a blessing. The hobby is in dire need of alternatives to the artillery muzzleloaders currently available for those that don't want a breechloader.
Just so everyone here knows -- I do not work for them. I simply like the way the do business and what they are trying to do. As a matter of fact - I have not even purchased a weapon from them except to help one of my pards get one. He is very happy with it. Personally, I use a Maynard breechloader.
I even applaud Loyalist's efforts to bring other unusual weapons to the market such as the Lorenz and the palemetto. With our help and advice, they can be even better. Please contact Blair Higgins at Loyalist with your comments.

NC5thcav
08-24-2006, 12:15 PM
I agree. Even though they aren't perfect, they seem to listen better than the Italians. Anybody making a Lorenz would be great.

straggler
08-24-2006, 11:12 PM
The Lodgewood '47 - says that it is both original - but also 'restored'.

Since some Cavalry musketoons were converted to either Artillery or Sappers musketoons it is possible to have an original musketoon - converted - then
restored - without the original front barrel band - such is the case here.

Per the 1850 ordanance manual + several books + owning & handling
several originals what Lodgewood shows on their '47 is not an original
Cavalry band - nor is what Loyalist Arms has on their '47. Both
more closely resemble the front band on the '47 Artillery or Sappers and
Miners version of the musketoon.

John S. Harmon

RebelCapt
08-24-2006, 11:20 PM
That's interesting John. I do again suggest you folks send these observations to Blair at Loyalist. One thing that can be gauranteed is the musket will be offered the same way if we keep this info to ourselves. Lets take advantage of a supplier that is willing to make adjustments.

RebelCapt
08-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Word is from Blair the front band of the 47 will be changed to as discribed here on this board.